Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Smelly manure lady - Help

Lankiefrankie

Lairian
Hi everyone!!!

Im new here and have done my fair share of research about sphynx care before buying my new baby - Ive bought ear cleaner, an exfoliating glove, high quality food w fish oil, cat wipes, everything you can think of!

So heres the thing, ive washed my new 12w old (Frankie) twice since ive gotten her and used wipes on her bum and feet, but I cant get this smell of manure off her. I clean her litter box twice a day, and the smell on her is different than the normal smell of stinky litter. Like i said its more like the smell of manure that floats in the wind when they spray the fields in the farming seasons.

She was in a house with lots of sphynx’s and was fed Kirkland cat food before being mine so maybe thats the reason she stinks?? Any-who, can anyone help me figure out why she stinks and how can I get her to stop? I really love her and love pushing my face against her but its not pleasing when she stinks - and again its not the normal pet smell, frito smell, or from what i've read, mushroom smell that sphynx have lol. The best describer is manure.

Please help! If theres nothing to do ill deal with it but would love a solution :)

Thankyou,
Frankie’s mom

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh my hat you just made my day with your beautiful description of what your Frankie smells like. Sorry I am still in stitchers laughing here. Beautiful writing skills.
On a more serious note I do sympathize with you as I love rubbing my nose on my baby too. Maybe other ladies can help you. I have no experience with this problem. If you could just give more info maybe they will know exactly what is happening
What food are you giving her? Is the smell constant or stronger at different times of the day. Like after eating her wet meal or litter tray visits. Are you noticing an excessive amount of oils from her skin staining linen. Does she have any skin discoloration marks on her body, drier patches in areas. I am just trying to cover all basic reasons for a bad smell.

I shall be thinking of you

Lankiefrankie

Lairian
Oh my hat you just made my day with your beautiful description of what your Frankie smells like. Sorry I am still in stitchers laughing here. Beautiful writing skills.
On a more serious note I do sympathize with you as I love rubbing my nose on my baby too. Maybe other ladies can help you. I have no experience with this problem. If you could just give more info maybe they will know exactly what is happening
What food are you giving her? Is the smell constant or stronger at different times of the day. Like after eating her wet meal or litter tray visits. Are you noticing an excessive amount of oils from her skin staining linen. Does she have any skin discoloration marks on her body, drier patches in areas. I am just trying to cover all basic reasons for a bad smell.

I shall be thinking of you

Glad you enjoyed the descriptors lol! I wanted to make sure everyone would really understand what kind of smell it is!

Thanks for the answer also - as for additional information : I cant tell if theres discolouration since shes a tortie but everything seems in order! Her nails are clear of gunk, im feeding her Stella and Chewy freeze dried food at the moment with thrive fish oil and thrive pumpkin, her skin is nice and soft and she isnt very oily since she has a bit of fur and a nice layer of velvet. In regards to the smell, it is subtle but persistant - nothing really makes it worse.

The more i think of it, the more im sure its because of her old food (kirkland “chicken cat food” that has grain and all sorts of other ickies). Ive only had her for a week so she maybe still sweating out the ickies from her old food.. I will come back to this post in a week or so to update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Have you had a vet visit since you got her? I had a wellness check with my vet the day I picked my kitty up. She had a bloated stomach so my vet put her on probiotics.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lankiefrankie , agree with wellness check, can take a stool sample.

I do weekly wipe downs with trizultra w/keto on swissper cotton rounds on my crew .really gets any brown on armpits, necks bellys legs. (do not use on face, just warm water baby face cloths ) I use it on the cotton rounds as an ear cleaner. my vet got me hooked on 15+ yrs ago.
will tag you in a link on shampoo.
what shampoo do you use?

Attachments

• trizultra.jpg
    trizultra.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 22
  • swisspers.jpg
    swisspers.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 21
  • swisspers.jpeg
    swisspers.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 21