Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sneezing kitten

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My little boy arrived home to me on the 7th of this month and I noticed a small sneeze. I thought he might just be adjusting to his surroundings and new smells. It continued so I took him over to the vet. She started him out on Lysine, after a week still sneezing. So I picked him up an antibiotic yesterday and I'm hoping that will clear him up. This is my first sphynx and everything makes me nervous, lol. He stole my heart and im going to do my best to protect and care for him. Did anyone experience anything similar with their kitten or cat?

Brooke

Banned
My little boy arrived home to me on the 7th of this month and I noticed a small sneeze. I thought he might just be adjusting to his surroundings and new smells. It continued so I took him over to the vet. She started him out on Lysine, after a week still sneezing. So I picked him up an antibiotic yesterday and I'm hoping that will clear him up. This is my first sphynx and everything makes me nervous, lol. He stole my heart and im going to do my best to protect and care for him. Did anyone experience anything similar with their kitten or cat?

Hi Maximus,
Well, you've done the best thing by taking your boy to the vet to have him checked out. Can you tell us what she said, and what tests she did? How often is your kitten sneezing, and is there any snot? Any other symptoms (are his eyes clear)?

The Lysine is very good, and is a good supplement to keep him on even when he isn't having any issues (you can see another thread on this forum where I talked about some great new Lysine treats that just came out), but Lysine can sometimes take up to a month to be effective.

There are some other members on the forum that have more experience with respiratory issues than I do. I'm sure they will chime in - but, I'm very curious about what your vet said.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how your baby is doing.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho has been a sneezer since I got her at 5 months old and she just turned 1 last week. She's been on every kind of antibotic and had every test done. She is healthy but it is a pain constantly wiping her nose. I am going to talk to her vet today about getting the lysine treats and hope that works. I would have your baby checked for FIP. It took me a long time to get Meecho checked because I was scared of the answer. Turned out my fears weren't needed, she just is a snotty nosed sneezer :Laugh:

Kerri78 has a lot of helpful information on this subject and she as well as other lair members really helped me through my fears. You've already taken the best first step by getting your baby checked. From what I have found and heard Sphynx cats have strong immune systems and sometimes it takes a strong medicine to help treat them, then it would with a typical cat.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
To my suprise the Vet didn't really seem concerned, she made it seem like its commin in cats or kittens. She gave me a little tub for his eyes, so I have been administering that to him. His eyes didnt seem to runny and discharge looked normal color to me but she perscribed the eye gel. She saw that there was some yellowish discharge around his little nose. She said to try him on the Lysine and see if that kicked it but I got nervous after a week that maybe he should be on both Lysine and antibiotics. When I called the Vet she agreed that was the right idea because he was still sneezing. He sneezes quite frequently and somethimes a few in a row, almost like he has allergies. Other than that his is extra spunky, healthy appetite, and frequent litter box user lol.

Kalliee129: Im actually going to continue with the Lysine and antibiotics but once I run out I am going to buy the Lysine treats and give them to him! I found them on amazon for like 12 bucks, check the internet before getting them from your vet they are probally pricey through the vet :ThumbsUp: We have our next Vet visit on July 6th, for his next shot, so ill ask to have him checked for Fip. Thank you so much for the advice, makes me feel better

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm not sure if I'll buy the treats from the vet, but when I checked online it had a warning to check with your vet before giving them. I'm sure they're perfectly safe, but worried momma kicks in when I see warnings. It's funny if it's a warning for something for me I could care less, but if it has to do with my little girl...oh look out! My vet wasn't and still isn't worried about Meecho's sneezing so I'm sure it's nothing too. But like you I'm a first time mommy and I'm on my toes with everything when it comes to Meecho. I almost feel awful about the fact I wasn't this vigilant with my other pets, but Meecho just seems so much more fragile to me. Funny thing is she's the toughest animal I've ever had :Laugh:

cchloerun

Banned
My boy, Moofin, has the sneezes- really bad! He also has A LOT of snot with these sneezes. I wipe down the walls once a week (I know, gross, but he's worth it!)

I have spent thousands of dollars diagnosing and trying to treat him. He has chronic Bordetella Bronchiseptica. Because Sphynx seem prone to upper respiratory issues, my boy wasn't able to fight off the Bordetea (basically kennel cough in dogs).
After almost every drug under the sun and courses of injections, he still is blessed with sneezing and snot:-(
After tons of research, it seems this is a growing concern among Sphynx. It isn't well known in cats, so I had to go through 4 vets and countless specimen samples (ended up finally getting a trach wash that they had to put him under for) in order to get the right diagnosis.
Look into this if you are concerned for sure :)

PitRottMommy

Banned

Repetitive sneezing is more concerning than a random sneeze. Stress is a major factor in upper respiratory infections, but he antibiotic should take care of that. L-lysine is a wonderful idea.

You might check his areas for anything that is dusty that could be irritating his URT like litter, heavy amounts of house dust, etc. It's summer and even mold/pollen spores could be to blame, but he's awefully young to be having allergies. I'd stick with the UTI concern and keep going with the abx and lysine.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kramer is about 6 months now & we went through a similar thing. He would have discharge & some eye boogers. We tried several antibiotics & it would help but never fully fix & it would come back. He also had one watery eye. He was on Lysine as well. I put him on Neo Poly Dex eye drops on Friday; thinking it was more of a "cold in his eye" causing this; and if that doesn't help I was going to knock him out & flush out his tear duct out. Well it is Tuesday & he is 75% better so we are very happy.

Back