Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sneezing....possible herpes?

tessblack

Banned
Hi

Both kitties are sneezing a bit. When I first got them she was sneezing a quite a bit and then went on antibiotics and she was fine. Then a few weeks later it started again, this time not as bad but they both sneeze a few times a day and one of her eyes has been gooier than normal. I have an appointment at the vet but worried they are just going to keep putting her on antibiotics and cost a fortune.

I was thinking of starting them on lysine and seeing what happens? How long would it take before I should see results on the lysine? Should I still take them to the vet?

Thanks for all the help guys.

tess

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Is the discharge clear?
I have a cat with herpes and I use the lysine and it works well most of the time.
There is a test for herpes but it is $150.
It does not sound like herpes from what you have posted.

Brooke

Banned
Is the discharge clear?
I have a cat with herpes and I use the lysine and it works well most of the time.
There is a test for herpes but it is $150.
It does not sound like herpes from what you have posted.

Mews2much is right, there is a PCR test for herpes, but it's expensive and not often all that accurate. IMO, a waste of money considering that A) it only gives a positive if your cat is shedding the herpes virus at the time the test was done, so you have a really good chance of getting a false negative and B) just about every cat on the planet has been exposed to herpes at some point in their lives...whether or not they get sick from it is another story! The test is good if you're trying to determine if a particular condition (like a recurring eye problem) is caused by herpes or chlamydia to rule out one or the other.

When my cats are sneezing, though, I don't usually think herpes. I have two that are affected by it (obviously all 4 of mine have been exposed, 2 of them are not affected) Helen gets extremely watery eyes (clear discharge) when she has a flare-up, and if it's a bad one, she'll sound congested and cough a little but rarely ever sneezes. Nelson has never had any symptoms before until recently, he developed ulcers in his eyes. Again, no sneezing.

But, you would definitely benefit from giving them Lysine either way. It can't hurt and works as an all around immune booster. I'm told it can take up to a month for the Lysine to take effect, but in all honesty I think it works faster than that. The maintenance dose is 250 mg per day.

tessblack

Banned
Yeah the discharge is clear. I am just trying to figure out what it might be because it seems a bit chronic and the antibiotics did not seem to help. I guess I am hoping to have some idea what it could be before I go to the vet. I wonder if it is possibly allergies then. Just not sure and kinda worried. I am going to start giving them lysine after I get this figured because I have read a lot of good things about it. I guess I am just super paranoid about these things because the breed is new for me. Thanks for the help, any ideas help. They are great besides the sneezing but just don't want it to be something that I over look.

Thanks again
tesss

PitRottMommy

Banned
I agree with the members that have posted so far, doesn't sound so much like Herpes without more symptoms that should follow.

You may be battling a persistent upper respiratory infection or allergies, which are common as the seasons change. You can try 1/2 tablet of benadryl/diphenhydramine 25mg (make sure there are NO other medications in this product aside from those I listed) twice daily. If you see improvements, it's likely allergies. This medication can cause sleepiness, so don't be surprised if your cats are snoozy :)

Good luck!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I agree with the members that have posted so far, doesn't sound so much like Herpes without more symptoms that should follow.

You may be battling a persistent upper respiratory infection or allergies, which are common as the seasons change. You can try 1/2 tablet of benadryl/diphenhydramine 25mg (make sure there are NO other medications in this product aside from those I listed) twice daily. If you see improvements, it's likely allergies. This medication can cause sleepiness, so don't be surprised if your cats are snoozy :)

Good luck!

OK, I've started to give my kitty the diphenhydramine today. I really hope it's safe and it works. My kitty's eyes are so watery these days but his sneezing has decreased from a month ago. Anyway, can cats be any more sleepy than they already are? Mine sleeps most of the day as it is. LOL. :Woo:

PitRottMommy

Banned
OK, I've started to give my kitty the diphenhydramine today. I really hope it's safe and it works. My kitty's eyes are so watery these days but his sneezing has decreased from a month ago. Anyway, can cats be any more sleepy than they already are? Mine sleeps most of the day as it is. LOL. :Woo:

That's an unfortunate downfall to medicating with diphenhydramine. On the other hand, I have dogs that can take 10 times the recommended allergy dose and STILL be alert and spry.

tessblack

Banned
The vet has me changing the litter because the one I was using was too dust, even bothered me. I am going to do that for a week and see if it helps. Twitch had some marks on her eyes but they are healed and old but her eyes are a bit running and she has been closing one more than the other so they put her on terramycin ointment for her eyes. I am going to start toilet training them next week.

I am just going to keep my eye on them and make sure the sneezing gets better. Is it just me or do alot of vets just try and push things on you? Sometimes it feels that way and I am so worried about them that I do it.

Thanks for all the help.

t

Back