Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

So happy to find this site!

Dalaine

Lairian
Hello! My name is Dalaine and I live in Fort Collins, CO. I found this site while searching for answers about my sphynx cat's recent health problems. It's great to find an online community like this where I can connect with other sphynx owners!

We just got our Scarlett NoHaira around Christmas last year. My daughter is allergic to cats and we got her in hopes that my daughter wouldn't have a reaction to her. We had a few sneezes initially, but now all is well, and we are hoping to get another sphynx as soon as Scarlett's medical problems are fixed.

A few months ago, Scarlett started getting spots that looked like prickly heat on her tail. I thought it might have to do with the soap I was using to bathe her, but after talking to the breeder, discovered it's probably an allergy! The bumps are now all over her body. We've taken her to the vet and changed her food and litter in hopes of clearing up the problem, but no concrete results yet. I'm trying to be patient, but don't like seeing my sweet kitty looking so rough! And the gas from all the food problems is tough on the whole family!:Dizzy:

I'm looking forward to all this forum has to offer!

I'm so glad you found us! Welcome :)

Have you washed her bedding lately? Or anywhere she lays often? Have you tried "sensitive skin" soap for her? Or even baby soap (that's what I use on Alice)? Are you using any kind of perfumes or scented stuff close to her (Alice was allergic to my perfume when I got her, so I had to stop wearing it or her skin got red)?

Could they be zits? How often do you bathe her? Do they decrease around bath time? Some Sphynx are really oily and get zits a lot.....

I know it's a lot of quiestions but anything coming in contact with her could be doing it. I'm just trying to help out.

Inferno12

Banned
OMG....you have one of my "grand children" This is Johnnys daughter! Welcome to the lair, You will get plenty of good advice here. What did you switch her food too? I know the RC was causing rashes in all the babies. I hope everyone here can help you solve the problem.

I am so proud to welcome you and my "granddaughter"
:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The forum is happy to have you as are our hairless friends. I too got my little buddy Butterball on Christmas 08. My decision to get him was the best decision I've made in two years. Couldn't be happier.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair! What food was Scarlett on previous, what did you switch her to, when did you make the switch? Exactly what does the rash look like? Would it be possible for you to take a picture of it and post here? Have you made any other changes, like in litter, the detergent you use on your clothes, etc?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Dalaine and welcome to Sphynxlair! Glad you found the site! Do you have a picture of the bumps? It could be a few things. These cats do tend to get "heat"rashes due to sitting in windows in the sun, or on a warm floor in the sun. Also a change of food or adding a food can cuase this. Pictures may help!
Thanks for joining our community!:ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair Dalaine. It's so cool that Scarlett is Johnny's granddaughter. As you can already see we are a friendly and helpful bunch. I hope you find some helpful tips in dealing with the bumps on her tail.

Dalaine

Lairian
Thanks for all the wishes and inquiries!

Scarlett was originally on RC kitten food. When I switched her to the adult food, the spots started. I then switched her to Purina One Healthy Weight, which was suggested by my breeder, but that didn't help. The vet put her on RC duck and green pea, and she's just completely switched over a few days ago, so I'm waiting to see if the rash and gas problems go away. I really do think that this is an allergy because of the gas problem and she has had blood and mucus in her stools a few times. If it were only affecting her skin, I might think otherwise.

The other possible culprit was the litter. I had been using Swheat Scoop, which is made out of wheat. I loved it because you could just flush it, but the vet thinks maybe she has a grain allergy, so now we're using Tidy Cat Scoopable.

I only use free and clear laundry soap, as my kids and I have sensitive skin, so I don't think that is a problem. I normally bathe her once a week, but since baths worsen the rash, the vet told me not to bathe her as often.

Thanks for listening!

Dalaine

Lairian
OMG....you have one of my "grand children" This is Johnnys daughter! Welcome to the lair, You will get plenty of good advice here. What did you switch her food too? I know the RC was causing rashes in all the babies. I hope everyone here can help you solve the problem.

I am so proud to welcome you and my "granddaughter"
:Laugh::Laugh::Laugh:

Is Johnny the parent of Adam or Eve? We are planning to bring Eve into our family as soon as Scarlett gets better! I'm so excited to have another kitty to love and for Scarlett to have a playmate!!!

Inferno12

Banned
Is Johnny the parent of Adam or Eve? We are planning to bring Eve into our family as soon as Scarlett gets better! I'm so excited to have another kitty to love and for Scarlett to have a playmate!!!

I believe Eve is Johnnys mom! I will have to look at the paperwork. Johnny is Scarletts dad. I am so happy for you to get Eve, she is such a sweetheart.

kellywestover

Lairian
Hi Dalaine!

I am so sad to hear that she still has problems! Perhaps I can help you find a solution by adding to or supporting you on this site with what Scarlett's rash looks like.

This is new to me, as Scarlett is one of my kittens. I have had no problems that have not found solutions up to now. This is really frustrating because we have tried so many different things, and you have switched vets, consulted me, and it appears that Scarlett still has the rash. Have you contacted LaBonde about it?

When I saw her, the rash appeared to be not quite on the epidermis (Top surface) of the skin. I am not sure if this is how it looked when it started, but if you could post a photo, that would be great.

I hope we can find a solution soon.

Kelly

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you tried going with a grain and gluten free food? I have a yellow lab with skin issues and the change over to grain free has made the world of difference.

Back