Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

So heartbroken, help please

Can anyone help with ideas to stop tail biting, My Nyla is just about 8 months old and has already been through tail amputation (approx 2”) because she chewed the top of her tail. Her tail has since healed completely but she has been biting it again lately,, last night another big gash , her cone is back on, so her tail can heal for about the twentieth time since she was a kitten. I have researched online but can’t find anything to help, the vet said They would research as well but no answers yet

I thought someone on the lair had the same problem and docked most of the tail. Out of site out of mind. One of the others will remember who it was.

Toa and Ross

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to hear your dealing with this issue. Maybe you can try calming/anxiety meds to see if this helps?

Does she bite her tail on regular times? Or at regular moments? Maybe you can write down all the momemts she bites her tail to see if there's something that triggers her? Like visitors, you being away or other situation that can cause anxiety

Sorry to hear your dealing with this issue. Maybe you can try calming/anxiety meds to see if this helps?

Does she bite her tail on regular times? Or at regular moments? Maybe you can write down all the momemts she bites her tail to see if there's something that triggers her? Like visitors, you being away or other situation that can cause anxiety
It seems like she has done most of the damage at night, when we are sleeping. She sleeps the bed with us or my daughter ,, we catch her trying to in the day as well,, we bought her a thunder shirt and I am hoping we find something that works other then meds ,, thanks for the info

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Not sure about the legality, but many owners of pets with anxiety have had great success using CBD oils. If it’s available or accessible in your neck of the woods, I’d give it a go! It’s an excellent, natural alternative to meds in my opinion.

I do hope you find a solution soon!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CrystalB , checking in on Nyla

Here is a search result using the top right search bubble On the main page
With several threads from members .
Is there a Holisitic vet or kitty only cat clinic that may have recommemdations /referral?

Following for updates
Head smooches sent

Do you know why Nyla bites her tail? Is it because of stress, habit, or what? My Ollie chews his tail too, but I believe it's just out of habit.
Either way, I hope you and Nyla feel better soon *hugs*