Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

So nervous... HCM scan tomorrow!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So, tomorrow is the day.

Alfie & Dippy are getting their first ever HCM scan and I'm so nervous.

They are booked in at 2 & 3pm with a Dr who has a DACVIM in Cardiology, so they are in good hands, I am just worried and praying that their little hearts are healthy.

Also, Dippy turned a year old last Wednesday, and Alfie turns a year old on Tuesday! time flies, and I can't believe my babies are fully grown.

I will update tomorrow about the scan, but please keep them in your thoughts and hope for some good results!

3e2992b4a33211e3a164123b34b63f06_8.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Good luck tomorrow! Positive thoughts sent your way. Gosh they have entertained us for a year already?! Will look for updates tomorrow.

Patti

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good luck on the scans. Positive thoughts and prayers sent to you. You babies look so handsome. Love their outfits. Let us know how everything goes. Happy Gotcha Day Anniversery on both your babies. Just like real kids they stay our babies forever no matter how old they get.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Good luck boys! They look like they have heard you mention the visit with the dreaded doctors! Such beautiful boys, I wish them clear scans and lots of treats!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Special prayers & positive thought for you and your boys.
Time flies...enjoy seeing your guys on Instagram.

Everything will be fine.
Stay positive :)

Christina

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The boys are in getting their echocardiograms.. Just from the consultation the dr. has informed us that Alfie has a stage 2-3 abnormal heart murmur :(

Poor baby! He is only 1 year old.

There goes my hopes that both boys were happy and healthy.

Hopefully I will find out more after the scan and update you guys.

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh jeez...not the news you wanted to hear at all :( can't he live a full happy long life with a murmur though? I'm looking for a vet to take giz to get scanned. Keep us posted....

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Alfie has been diagnosed with mild HCM :( he is being rechecked in 6 months to see how it has progressed.

We are so devastated and are hoping it does not progress quickly, so far he has not been prescribed any medication.

Dippy is 100% healthy which is great but it's so sad about Alfie. I wish so much they could have both got the all clear.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Bless his heart, but, hopefully with meds he will live a long healthy life.
You said no meds yet, that's always a great thing. I know your worried and
upset, but, we will pray about it and keep him in our prayers.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Please do not panic.I know it is it is overwhelming to get the news. It is important you are monitoring. Our Babas has had a stage 2 murmur since he was a kitten (will be 11 years old soon) HCM was not even a term used in the breed back then. He has never had it progress. So please do not think of it as a "sentence" people have murmurs and live happy lives. He is not imperfect...he is Alfie...your wonderful bundle of joy and always will be. He is the other 1/2 of Alfie & Dips :) Life is good. I enjoy all of your IG pics and those you share on here. Nothing has changed...

patti

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you guys.

The vet says it depends on the cat and there is a chance it could not progress til he is old and grey.. he has had a cat with HCM not progress until he was 15. I am praying this is the case with my little Alfie like with your Babas @Catzzzmeow

The vet says because he is so young, it is likely that it was inherited. I am mad at myself as I learned that his parents had not been scanned - only his grandparents and I still didn't see the warning signs. At the time my breeder told me the parents were too young to be scanned, but later I realised that they should be scanned before they produce a litter.

I don't regret anything though, Alfie brings so much joy to our lives - HCM or not - and we are in the fortunate position where we will do everything possible to let Alfie live a happy & pain free life.

Should I let my breeder know about this? I'm guessing yes. I don't think there is anything in my contract about this but I will check.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Hugs to you, Dippy and Alfie.. Monitor and enjoy life with them. Alfie has no idea he is different today than yesterday..
My bengal cat Kato romped and played with his bengal brat brothers and did not have a care in the world except cuddle food and play.. (Not necessarily in that order)

Keep positive and well wishes for his recheck. Alfie has no idea he is different today than yesterday..

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you guys.

The vet says it depends on the cat and there is a chance it could not progress til he is old and grey.. he has had a cat with HCM not progress until he was 15. I am praying this is the case with my little Alfie like with your Babas @Catzzzmeow

The vet says because he is so young, it is likely that it was inherited. I am mad at myself as I learned that his parents had not been scanned - only his grandparents and I still didn't see the warning signs. At the time my breeder told me the parents were too young to be scanned, but later I realised that they should be scanned before they produce a litter.

I don't regret anything though, Alfie brings so much joy to our lives - HCM or not - and we are in the fortunate position where we will do everything possible to let Alfie live a happy & pain free life.

Should I let my breeder know about this? I'm guessing yes. I don't think there is anything in my contract about this but I will check.
I would let her know for sure

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I would tell your breeder. Don't kick yourself in the butt. You love him no matter what and always will. Heart issues can happen to anyone/cat and even with scanning there is no guarantee. Even when a breeder has a warranty, how could anyone give back a baby they love through and through because of something that they inherited. It is such a mind game for all. I have said it before that health issues happen in people every day. Because we pay for an animals we all get this mindset we paid for perfect. There is no such luck. Researching on the front end helps, but the best breeders at some point all have a chance of HCM, FIP etc to enter their lines. Telling your breeder is important, because they can make solid decisions on how to progress in their programs and if they are responsible and will push them to scan the parents.

Just love them (again I think of Alfie & Dips as one...lol) they know nothing different...life as usual.

Patti

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry to hear the news. Don't panic! Pinky has a murmur, it hasn't changed any since birth. She is checked yearly to make sure everything is ok. It's not a death sentence.

Jebsmom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sad to heat about Alfie,it brought tears to my eyes :( He's got a great mommy and I'm sure with your love and care he will live a long wonderful life.

Back