Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

so upset!!!!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
OMG I cant take it anymore poor Maggie's lip is not good again on her left side!!! uhhh I was so happy it was all better!!!! I just want her to be better I get so worried & I think about it all the time it bothers me so bad! I dont want it to spread any were else!!!!!!:ThumbsDown:

Brooke

Banned
OMG I cant take it anymore poor Maggie's lip is not good again on her left side!!! uhhh I was so happy it was all better!!!! I just want her to be better I get so worried & I think about it all the time it bothers me so bad! I dont want it to spread any were else!!!!!!:ThumbsDown:

I know she's been having a problem with her lip, but what exactly was the diagnosis?

Poor Maggie, I hope she feels better soon. :Cry:

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That poor cat.
Can you take her to another vet and see if they can help?

All I can do is wait it out she can only have 3 shots of steroids she had 2 already her lip was healing awesome & now all of a sudden it is bad on the left side! This really stresses me out I just want her better. the good news is there is little to no pain! but the bad news is she looses chunks out of her lip that dont grow back & it can spread on to her face & body!

Brooke

Banned

This article says it's caused by some kind of allergy. Is that what your vet says? How are they treating her for it?

Have you had any luck trying to figure out what she might be allergic to or has the vet recommended allergy testing? I think it's better (for her health and for your wallet) to try to eliminate the cause rather than just treat the symptoms.

Common allergies are caused by food, insects (fleas or mosquitos), or airborn (pollen). You can probably rule out fleas and mosquitos with a hairless cat that is always indoors, so the next logical (and easiest) thing to look at would be her diet - what kind of food does she eat?

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This article says it's caused by some kind of allergy. Is that what your vet says? How are they treating her for it?

Have you had any luck trying to figure out what she might be allergic to or has the vet recommended allergy testing? I think it's better (for her health and for your wallet) to try to eliminate the cause rather than just treat the symptoms.

Common allergies are caused by food, insects (fleas or mosquitos), or airborn (pollen). You can probably rule out fleas and mosquitos with a hairless cat that is always indoors, so the next logical (and easiest) thing to look at would be her diet - what kind of food does she eat?

she eats buffalo blue wilderness, & wellness treats. There is nothing in her food that she should be allergic to (that most cats are) she use to eat royal canin but it has to much fillers & crap in it that cats are allergic to so i switched

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Maggie! She is so young, if I where you I would make sure that this is not something that she had when you took her home from the breeer? Have you contacted the breeder? Maybee she has had this problem before? I would just make sure, it would be very sad for her to start loosing parts of her lip! If it gets too bad I am sure it could effect her eating and things and start to cause more problems.
Sorry to sound negative but just want the best for little Maggie! If your vet can not help her I would look for another opinion.

Brooke

Banned
she eats buffalo blue wilderness, & wellness treats. There is nothing in her food that she should be allergic to (that most cats are) she use to eat royal canin but it has to much fillers & crap in it that cats are allergic to so i switched

It could be tricky, then, to determine what the allergy is... I don't know how much it costs with a cat, but I had allergy testing done on my dog who had chronic skin problems. It was expensive, but well worth it because I ended up with a list of everything she was allergic to and could keep her away from those things. (Except one of her allergies was grass, which you can imagine was hard to keep a dog away from!). After the allergy test, I was able to eliminate the things that were giving her problems and her skin problems almost completely went away (that darn grass!). Allergy testing for Maggie might be something to consider if her lip problem is turning out to be chronic. Good luck!!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor Maggie! She is so young, if I where you I would make sure that this is not something that she had when you took her home from the breeer? Have you contacted the breeder? Maybee she has had this problem before? I would just make sure, it would be very sad for her to start loosing parts of her lip! If it gets too bad I am sure it could effect her eating and things and start to cause more problems.
Sorry to sound negative but just want the best for little Maggie! If your vet can not help her I would look for another opinion.

Yes I have called her breeder & she said she kept one of her siblings & she is fine. She also said Maggie did not have that when she was with her.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Yes I have called her breeder & she said she kept one of her siblings & she is fine. She also said Maggie did not have that when she was with her.

More specifically, M'sM, which Blue Buffalo is she eating? There is Duck and Chicken that I have found. I have to agree with Brooke, this is a textbook sign of food allergies. Facial outbreaks are the number one sign of cat food allergies.

Below are each. The highlighted areas are the foods known to cause allergies in cats:

BB Wilderness Duck:
Deboned Duck, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Potato Starch, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Fish Meal, Peas, Natural Chicken Flavor, Oatmeal, Potatoes, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Cranberries, Blueberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, L-Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium.

BB Wilderness Chicken:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Fish Meal, Potato Starch, Chicken Fat (Naturally Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Potatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Oatmeal, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Cranberries, Blueberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Taurine, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Turmeric, Fish Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium.

Many of the Wellness treats also contain chicken and beef, top proteins for food allergies in cats.

It's not to say that BB or Wellness are poor quality foods--some pets simply develop an allergy. I have 8 pets: 3 dogs, 3 cats and 2 tarantulas (who don't seem to have any cricket allergy...yet...)

2 dogs have food allergies: Brogan is sensitive to chicken, Bastien to beef and Breixo is too young to show signs...yet...

2 cats cannot eat anything but rabbit: Baldwin and Buck. Buffy doesn't seem to have any problems switching proteins...yet...

I feed the best of the best food, even before I started with raw (which was almost essential because EVERYTHING contained either beef or chicken...which my dogs cannot eat). Allergies hit even the best of us, regardless of what we feed or how cautious we are with food choices.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Magg is on the chicken 1 if she is allergic what food should I switch to? I don't want to feed her raw. Thankyou so much u r very helpful!!! :)

PitRottMommy

Banned
Finding a food without chicken will be difficult, it's a popular protein. One of my favorites is:

Nature's variety prairie lamb and oatmeal: http://www.naturesvariety.com/prairie_cat_kibble_lamb

It's a great food without an extremely hefty price tag. (Their small bag starts around 10 and the huge bag runs around 30).

Remember, a pet must stay on a single food with NO treats (especially containing chicken), no flavored anythings for 12 weeks to know if the food is working properly (although you may see almost immediate results). If you slip up and give the baby something they're not supposed to have (even a tiny piece of cheese or bread), the 12 weeks starts over again.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Purchase a bag of something ENTIRELY novel: You can use duck, rabbit, lamb, quail, bison, venison, pheasant, kangaroo, etc. Anything that does not include chicken or beef (just in case).

My cats LOVE dried lamb lung. They're also a big fan of bison meat. Baldwin also likes venison.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Purchase a bag of something ENTIRELY novel: You can use duck, rabbit, lamb, quail, bison, venison, pheasant, kangaroo, etc. Anything that does not include chicken or beef (just in case).

My cats LOVE dried lamb lung. They're also a big fan of bison meat. Baldwin also likes venison.

Sorry to ask so much but u know ur stuff. My next question is there a brand name of the treats & is it in the treat section?

PitRottMommy

Banned
Sorry to ask so much but u know ur stuff. My next question is there a brand name of the treats & is it in the treat section?

Ask whomever you're buying from, they'll know what they sell. The bison and lamb treats I buy are sold locally, so I doubt they're available in your general area. But, someone's bound to be selling them :)

zoes mom

Lairian
hang in there! I'm sure you will find out that once you eliminate chicken, she will do wonderful on another protein source. Im crossing my fingers for you good luck! look for a food that says LID on it.(limited ingredient diet) I've tried one for my dog with good success but i can't remember the name......and they have the matching ingredient treats to match! best of luck to you kitty!

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I brought Maggie for her shots so we will c if her lip gets better fingers are crossed. I also bought her new food that pitrottmommy told me to try the natures variety prairie lamb

Back