Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sofia the Kitty Cow

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Id like to introduce my 4lbs pounds of love !

Her name is Sofia, often goes by cu-yyiee or kitty cow ( you will agree with the pictures below :love:). She is now 4 1/2 months. She enjoys meowing at and chirping at the top of her lungs until I run worried looking for her but she just wants attention :hilarious:. Sofia is also my everyday alarm, 7am SHARP :facepalm:. She enjoys chasing people and being chased.

I am very over protective and kind of "worried" over her, she is my first pet but I did a ton of research before buying, which included stalking sphynxlair for a few months prior to bringing her home:D

I hope that you guys can advise me of two things: 1st. I know she is very small, she has all her shots but how soon is too soon/never too soon to have an echo done on her to check for HCM ? shes due to be spayed sometime the end of this month/beginning of april. I thought it be preferable to have the echo done before her getting spayed ( and my vet does use isoflurane) . Any thoughts or suggestions ? :nailbiting:

2nd: I free feed her dry food and i used to give her 2 3oz pouches of wet food (day and night) but shes been putting on some very visible weight lately. She has a pouch that appears inproportionate with the rest of her body. I do feel that shes small and maybe I shouldn't cut down on her food but is 3oz x2 a day + free feed dry food too much for her ?

Thank you guys for reading! I am excited to be a part of the community :barefoot::happy:
3-2-2016 12-10-12 PM.jpg
IMG_4078.JPG
IMG_4128.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG
kitty cow :smuggrin:

Last edited:

Jaden

Lairian
Oh she's gorgeous, my new baby is about the same age just slightly younger, I feed him raw food but I do it by weight and just slightly more because he is a growing boy/ and to keep his calorie count up, as for isoflurane if that's a anesthetic its probably better than ketamine as sphynx have bad reactions to ketamine, my boy has to get neutered in may the longer you wait the best chance of them not having any problems with urinary tract infections or crystals in the urine so I've heard from my vet

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Sofia Kitty Cow : welcome to sphynxlair for you and Sofia kitty cow:). Good to have you here!

Sofia is a very beautiful and adorable girl. I love her colour and spots.
I don't know when it's the best time to do a HCM scan but I'm sure other will chime in.

On the pics Sofia doesn't look to heavy to me. I don't feed wet food so can't say how much is common. But free feeding dry knibbels is good and important!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome. She is a cutie. It is suggested to get first heart scan at 1 year of age as often if there is a murmur as a baby, they can out grow it by then. They are also considered kittens until 1 year of age, so there are many natural changes that are happening. Our vet suggested free feeding until they are 1 year of age and the at a year we decided if we needed to cut back. We do wet in the morning, free feed kibble and wet at night.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Sofia Kitty Cow, hello and welcome. Your little kitty cow is adorable. I have a cowgirl too. :)

Yes, I too have heard about HCM scanning at the age of one year.

Wet canned food is very important (if you are not doing the raw diet). I feed wet canned food 2X a day and only give them dry food during the night if they get hungry.
When my nakeds were kittens, the dry food was always out for them to nibble on, but I still gave them wet canned food 2X a day.

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Oh she's gorgeous, my new baby is about the same age just slightly younger, I feed him raw food but I do it by weight and just slightly more because he is a growing boy/ and to keep his calorie count up, as for isoflurane if that's a anesthetic its probably better than ketamine as sphynx have bad reactions to ketamine, my boy has to get neutered in may the longer you wait the best chance of them not having any problems with urinary tract infections or crystals in the urine so I've heard from my vet
oh really? my vet told me that anywhere between 5-6 months would be okay, he said right before her first period. Good luck ! I hope it he recovers fast. Prayers !

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
@Sofia Kitty Cow : welcome to sphynxlair for you and Sofia kitty cow:). Good to have you here!

Sofia is a very beautiful and adorable girl. I love her colour and spots.
I don't know when it's the best time to do a HCM scan but I'm sure other will chime in.

On the pics Sofia doesn't look to heavy to me. I don't feed wet food so can't say how much is common. But free feeding dry knibbels is good and important!

thank you ! :) no shes is slim, her body looks very healthy except that her belly hangs. It is very very noticeable because she never had this before. I figured the rest of her body will eventually catch up since she is still growing, i just wanted some advice as far as eating portion

Jaden

Lairian
oh really? my vet told me that anywhere between 5-6 months would be okay, he said right before her first period. Good luck ! I hope it he recovers fast. Prayers !
I guess I'm not too concerned with him he's my only pet and he won't have any periods, vets say 5/6 months or by how much weight I think 5/6 pounds but I'm just worried because he's quite little and they can get urinary tract infections I work with my breeder and our contract so I make sure nothing is in breach

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Sofia Kitty Cow and @Jaden six months old is the earliest time they should be spayed/neutered. For cats, I would not wait until they go into heat if you can. And never use Ketamine and ISO for the anesthesia is the absolute best and safest way to go. Always make sure that your nakeds are placed on a heating pad right after surgery. That's a very important request you need to make them understand at the vet's office. Best of luck to both of you. :)

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Hello and welcome. She is a cutie. It is suggested to get first heart scan at 1 year of age as often if there is a murmur as a baby, they can out grow it by then. They are also considered kittens until 1 year of age, so there are many natural changes that are happening. Our vet suggested free feeding until they are 1 year of age and the at a year we decided if we needed to cut back. We do wet in the morning, free feed kibble and wet at night.

Patti

Thank you so much for your advise. I wasnt too sure and like i mentioned, im a worrier so I figured the sooner the better. :unsure:

but being that two people are saying at 1 year, I will re schedule. I wouldnt want a misdiagnosis and then having to unnecessarily do it again (y)

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
I guess I'm not too concerned with him he's my only pet and he won't have any periods, vets say 5/6 months or by how much weight I think 5/6 pounds but I'm just worried because he's quite little and they can get urinary tract infections I work with my breeder and our contract so I make sure nothing is in breach

I too feel the same. They are growing way too fast for my heart to deal with :cry:

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
@Sofia Kitty Cow and @Jaden six months old is the earliest time they should be spayed/neutered. For cats, I would not wait until they go into heat if you can. And never use Ketamine and ISO for the anesthesia is the absolute best and safest way to go. Always make sure that your nakeds are placed on a heating pad right after surgery. That's a very important request you need to make them understand at the vet's office. Best of luck to both of you. :)

so 6 months sounds ideal. How would I know she's about to go in heat ? the other night she was howling very loud for no apparent reason and all i kept thinking is "this cant be, shes just a baby :cry:" lol but she was just being a brat

Any advise on to how long they take to heal? i plan to stay at home with her for about 4-5 days after she comes home from surgery. I worry that once I return back to work something might happen while shes home alone and i wont be there lol :banghead:

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
so 6 months sounds ideal. How would I know she's about to go in heat ? the other night she was howling very loud for no apparent reason and all i kept thinking is "this cant be, shes just a baby :cry:" lol but she was just being a brat

Any advise on to how long they take to heal? i plan to stay at home with her for about 4-5 days after she comes home from surgery. I worry that once I return back to work something might happen while shes home alone and i wont be there lol :banghead:

Chances are very slim that she will go into heat before she is six months old. The only time I ever had that happen here was many years ago when I had two furry cats (male and a female). Having two of the opposite sex was what I think brought the heat on at a very young age because I never had a problem after that when I just have a kitten without having two of the opposite sex together.

Neutering a male cat is very simple, very quick and the healing is much quicker as well. To avoid her scar getting dirty or being licked a lot, you might want to buy infant's T-Shirts with the snaps and cut a whole for the tail and areas to use the litter box. This way her scar is covered up.

Best of luck.

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Chances are very slim that she will go into heat before she is six months old. The only time I ever had that happen here was many years ago when I had two furry cats (male and a female). Having two of the opposite sex was what I think brought the heat on at a very young age because I never had a problem after that when I just have a kitten without having two of the opposite sex together.

Neutering a male cat is very simple, very quick and the healing is much quicker as well. To avoid her scar getting dirty or being licked a lot, you might want to buy infant's T-Shirts with the snaps and cut a whole for the tail and areas to use the litter box. This way her scar is covered up.

Best of luck.

O wow ! I had no idea ! thank you so much ! I will buy her some onesies :LOL:, as if she could be more of a baby :shame:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
thank you ! :) no shes is slim, her body looks very healthy except that her belly hangs. It is very very noticeable because she never had this before. I figured the rest of her body will eventually catch up since she is still growing, i just wanted some advice as far as eating portion

Ah a hanging belly! That's perfectly normal for a sphynx. They'll never grow in:). My boy Ross who is slim has a hanging belly too. And lots of others have a hanging belly!

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Id like to introduce my 4lbs pounds of love !

Her name is Sofia, often goes by cu-yyiee or kitty cow ( you will agree with the pictures below :love:). She is now 4 1/2 months. She enjoys meowing at and chirping at the top of her lungs until I run worried looking for her but she just wants attention :hilarious:. Sofia is also my everyday alarm, 7am SHARP :facepalm:. She enjoys chasing people and being chased.

I am very over protective and kind of "worried" over her, she is my first pet but I did a ton of research before buying, which included stalking sphynxlair for a few months prior to bringing her home:D

I hope that you guys can advise me of two things: 1st. I know she is very small, she has all her shots but how soon is too soon/never too soon to have an echo done on her to check for HCM ? shes due to be spayed sometime the end of this month/beginning of april. I thought it be preferable to have the echo done before her getting spayed ( and my vet does use isoflurane) . Any thoughts or suggestions ? :nailbiting:

2nd: I free feed her dry food and i used to give her 2 3oz pouches of wet food (day and night) but shes been putting on some very visible weight lately. She has a pouch that appears inproportionate with the rest of her body. I do feel that shes small and maybe I shouldn't cut down on her food but is 3oz x2 a day + free feed dry food too much for her ?

Thank you guys for reading! I am excited to be a part of the community :barefoot::happy:
View attachment 66419 View attachment 66420 View attachment 66421 View attachment 66422 View attachment 66423 kitty cow :smuggrin:
Hi there! Your baby is beautiful. My Frida also has cow patches. So cute.
I don't know a lot about the hcm scans but I do know lots about cat diets! If you are worried about her weight I would cut out the dry entirely. Cats gain weight on dry food because cats would typically not drink water in the wild so when a cat feels thirsty she will feel hungry. If she is eating dry food she will go and eat and because it is dry she will not satisfy the thirst and continue to eat. When a cat is on a wet diet the hunger/thirst feeling will be satisfied when she eats so she will be less likely to overeat. Eating wet or raw is also a great way to keep her urinary tract and bladder healthy for life.

BusterTheCat

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm so happy for you!! My boy Buster is a little overweight. We don't have dry food out for him as we don't want him to be freely eating throughout the day. We feed him wet food morning and night, and we will sometimes give him a little scoop of dry during his meal just so the diet isn't 100% wet food. Don't worry too much about a belly unless it starts becoming a problem (ex: she gets overweight to the point when she can't properly lick/groom herself) but I don't think that will happen! Sphynx also tend to have a noticeable belly hang as they don't have fur to cover it up! :)

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have sphYnx are known for
a flabby belly. They need extra food because of their metabolism.
A baby, under 1yr old, needs to be free Fed dry and wet 2-3 Times
a day.

When, they, become, 1yr old and you change to adult food, if you think
They, are to fat, cut down on the wet to twice. Then, if need be,
because, that didn't help, cut down on the dry.

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
Hi there! Your baby is beautiful. My Frida also has cow patches. So cute.
I don't know a lot about the hcm scans but I do know lots about cat diets! If you are worried about her weight I would cut out the dry entirely. Cats gain weight on dry food because cats would typically not drink water in the wild so when a cat feels thirsty she will feel hungry. If she is eating dry food she will go and eat and because it is dry she will not satisfy the thirst and continue to eat. When a cat is on a wet diet the hunger/thirst feeling will be satisfied when she eats so she will be less likely to overeat. Eating wet or raw is also a great way to keep her urinary tract and bladder healthy for life.
she does drink plenty of water but maybe I will consider not filling up the dry food bowl to the top lol

Sofia Kitty Cow

Lairian
I'm so happy for you!! My boy Buster is a little overweight. We don't have dry food out for him as we don't want him to be freely eating throughout the day. We feed him wet food morning and night, and we will sometimes give him a little scoop of dry during his meal just so the diet isn't 100% wet food. Don't worry too much about a belly unless it starts becoming a problem (ex: she gets overweight to the point when she can't properly lick/groom herself) but I don't think that will happen! Sphynx also tend to have a noticeable belly hang as they don't have fur to cover it up! :)
thank you for your input ! (y)

Back