Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Soft poop!!

nakednelly

Lairian
Hello,
I’m a new sphynx kitten owner, we got our girl Nelly on Friday 26th October from a reputable breeder in our area. She is almost 14 week old, had all vaccinations and is microchipped. She’s is an indoor cat and only cat. She also was wormed 22nd October.
Since we got her she has had soft stools, not watery or runny. They are easy to pick up however she is getting poop everywhere because it’s soft so it gets inbetween her paws up her legs and everywhere :( we are worried there is something wrong, should I take her to the vets? She’s happy and energetic no other signs of being unwell, we are currently feeding her on what she was weaned onto which is Royal Canin second stage kitten.
Can anyone advise? She goes to poop around 2 times a day.

Thank you :)

Attachments

• ACF22DEF-E4AC-4445-B594-E3FB4D09934E.png
    ACF22DEF-E4AC-4445-B594-E3FB4D09934E.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 35

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
I’m a new sphynx kitten owner, we got our girl Nelly on Friday 26th October from a reputable breeder in our area. She is almost 14 week old, had all vaccinations and is microchipped. She’s is an indoor cat and only cat. She also was wormed 22nd October.
Since we got her she has had soft stools, not watery or runny. They are easy to pick up however she is getting poop everywhere because it’s soft so it gets inbetween her paws up her legs and everywhere :( we are worried there is something wrong, should I take her to the vets? She’s happy and energetic no other signs of being unwell, we are currently feeding her on what she was weaned onto which is Royal Canin second stage kitten.
Can anyone advise? She goes to poop around 2 times a day.

Thank you :)
Welcome! If its not runny, I wouldn't be too concerned, Try a TBSP of pumpkin (not the pie filler type) mixed into her food. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Nelly is a beautiful cutie.
Is the poop very/extremly stinky? If not and it's only soft and not diarrhea you could try to add some pure pumpkin, that can firm up poop.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You could try a different food. However, a lot of times it's the fiber in the food that is poor quality, so you could try adding a higher quality fiber to your kitten's current food.

As was suggested above, pumpkin is a good fiber to use. For a 10 pound cat you would use 1 teaspoon of pumpkin. Other options are 1/2 teaspoon of psyllium husk powder or 1/2 teaspoon of slippery elm bark powder. This is all for a 10 pound cat and too much fiber is just as bad as not enough, so adjust accordingly for however much your kitten weighs.

nakednelly

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair. Nelly is a beautiful cutie.
Is the poop very/extremly stinky? If not and it's only soft and not diarrhea you could try to add some pure pumpkin, that can firm up poop.

Come to mention it it is really smelly! She has a lot of gas too! And trumps more than I thought cats would? Is it the food?

nakednelly

Lairian
*update**
Today nelly had a harder stool however when I wiped her bum (as there was a bit dangling) blood was on the baby wipe. It was bright red! No visible places where the blood is coming from, the blood has disappeared once wiped.
I’m ringing the vets today as I’m worried, maybe it’s the wet food that doesn’t agree with her?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry to hear. It sounds like Nelly has had some issue from the start. This is something worth remembering, sometimes when there's an issue with poop, the issue isn't the poop but something else. What you see is then just the symptom, such as soft stools. It's good you're taking her to the vet so you can find out what else is going on and get it under control.

There are various things it can be.....maybe food related but maybe something else. The vet should be able to narrow it down for you. If they recommend another food, keep in mind vets don't sell raw foods, but raw food solves a lot of GI issues.

I hope you can get it resolved quickly and Nelly gets back on track.

Last edited:

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All your symptoms describe what my boy Finn went through when we first got him. A really smelly, bloody diarrhea, and really stinky constant gas. The diarrhea incident left poop all over their cat room and all through into the living room. o_O I had his poop tested and it came back positive for Giardia. He was treated and no more smelly poop or gas!

acook3593

Lairian
Our Millie has had the same exact problems! She is 17 weeks old and when we got her at 12 weeks the first few days she had normal poops but since then they've been loose, super smelly, as well as super smelly farts and belly gurgles! Had blood once or twice but I think it was because she was going so frequently. Same Royal Canin kitten food fed freely and Friskies poultry pate twice a day. We stopped her wet food altogether and no improvement. Had her stools tested twice both negative for parasites. They put her on an antibiotic for a week and during that week her poops were firming up but the day after we stopped it they were loose again. The whole time a happy hyper kitty. She's due for her rabies vaccine Tuesday so we are going to mention it again. Did Nelly go to the vet yet? I feel like our kitties have the same thing going on. Hope your little girl gets well soon!

nakednelly

Lairian
Our Millie has had the same exact problems! She is 17 weeks old and when we got her at 12 weeks the first few days she had normal poops but since then they've been loose, super smelly, as well as super smelly farts and belly gurgles! Had blood once or twice but I think it was because she was going so frequently. Same Royal Canin kitten food fed freely and Friskies poultry pate twice a day. We stopped her wet food altogether and no improvement. Had her stools tested twice both negative for parasites. They put her on an antibiotic for a week and during that week her poops were firming up but the day after we stopped it they were loose again. The whole time a happy hyper kitty. She's due for her rabies vaccine Tuesday so we are going to mention it again. Did Nelly go to the vet yet? I feel like our kitties have the same thing going on. Hope your little girl gets well soon!

Oh no sorry to hear about Millie, sending head bumps.
We have had her at the vet today, they’ve gave Nelly a short 3 days course of antibiotics they did this via injection, all of her vital signs were perfect, they weighed her took her temp and a good feel of her stomach (nelly didn’t appreciate the temp they went up her bum) haha!
The vet said it doesn’t seem anything to worry about but if the blood continues after the antibiotics or nellys mood changes then fetch her back in.
Faecal samples are £200 to send of each sample she told us that is £600, she is insured but that is a lot to send poop off.
The vet also said when a kitten is ill they’ll let you know, with their mood etc. Nelly is still the same happy hyper kitten she was before the loose poop, she still eats, drinks wees and poops. If anything changes we’ll take her back maybe it’s the same with Millie, aslong as she’s happy. Straining too hard is another possibility the vet said.

Hope we get to the bottom of this. I will keep you updated after the 3 days.

Hugs xx

acook3593

Lairian
Oh no sorry to hear about Millie, sending head bumps.
We have had her at the vet today, they’ve gave Nelly a short 3 days course of antibiotics they did this via injection, all of her vital signs were perfect, they weighed her took her temp and a good feel of her stomach (nelly didn’t appreciate the temp they went up her bum) haha!
The vet said it doesn’t seem anything to worry about but if the blood continues after the antibiotics or nellys mood changes then fetch her back in.
Faecal samples are £200 to send of each sample she told us that is £600, she is insured but that is a lot to send poop off.
The vet also said when a kitten is ill they’ll let you know, with their mood etc. Nelly is still the same happy hyper kitten she was before the loose poop, she still eats, drinks wees and poops. If anything changes we’ll take her back maybe it’s the same with Millie, aslong as she’s happy. Straining too hard is another possibility the vet said.

Hope we get to the bottom of this. I will keep you updated after the 3 days.

Hugs xx
Glad the doc wasn’t too concerned and I hope the antibiotics work for Nelly! Yea Millie is never happy when they take her temp lol. We tried the nature balance duck and pea formula recommended by the breeder so we are going to try this too. I’ll keep checking in to see how little Nelly is!

Back