Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Soft stool

Crayne

Lairian
My sphynx Woody was rehomed with me on 12/20. He had been doing great but got diarrhea on 1/03. I called the vet and started feeding him boiled chicken & rice as well as pumpkin. I took him to the vet 2 days ago (01/08) & they have given him medicine to take for 5 days morning & night. So far his diarrhea is not better…the vet ruled out anything like anesthesia from neutering, his food and treats as I’ve given him these since I got him (limit 2 treats a day & feed him what his previous owners fed him). I take him back to the vet on the 19th but I do feed him Purina adult cat chow (green bag) which is what his previous owners fed him. I’m wondering if I should try switching his foods if the medicine doesn’t help by day 5 or wait til I go back to the vet? He’s not lethargic. He’s playing and very energetic and drinking and eating well. The vet also had a stool sample and that was tested.

maximusprime

Lairian
My sphynx Woody was rehomed with me on 12/20. He had been doing great but got diarrhea on 1/03. I called the vet and started feeding him boiled chicken & rice as well as pumpkin. I took him to the vet 2 days ago (01/08) & they have given him medicine to take for 5 days morning & night. So far his diarrhea is not better…the vet ruled out anything like anesthesia from neutering, his food and treats as I’ve given him these since I got him (limit 2 treats a day & feed him what his previous owners fed him). I take him back to the vet on the 19th but I do feed him Purina adult cat chow (green bag) which is what his previous owners fed him. I’m wondering if I should try switching his foods if the medicine doesn’t help by day 5 or wait til I go back to the vet? He’s not lethargic. He’s playing and very energetic and drinking and eating well. The vet also had a stool sample and that was tested.
my vet recently suggested purina's "calming care" and "flortifora" for my older guy due to both soft stools + him hating the new nakeds i brought into our home.

i was skeptical, but desperate, so i went ahead and purchased from her with the caveat the clinic would take it back if my max rejected both.

not only does he love them, he's out of the former, and his stools are now firm and not even smelly (beyond normal poop smell). she also prescribed antibiotics (flagyl), but he's not good with meds so honestly, he hasn't had much of those.

without knowing your boo's dx, i'm not recommending, per se - just if you get to the point you'll try anything and whatever meds being prescribed aren't working, maybe give one of those a shot! apparently they smell so good that i have to fight to keep the other four kitties out of max's food!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
How is your boy doing today? Did he had diarrhea with his previous owner? When Jade was rehomed to me she had diarrhea for about a month due to stress.

Crayne

Lairian
How is your boy doing today? Did he had diarrhea with his previous owner? When Jade was rehomed to me she had diarrhea for about a month due to stress.
Still having soft stool. He goes back to the vet on the 19th & I am going to ask them about switching his foods to what was recommended on this thread. They didn’t see anything in his stool sample & he acts completely fine eating & drinking. I haven’t reached out to the previous owners but I’ll try them today. Vet felt like he had been home long enough that stress from anything wouldn’t be an issue but I guess you could never know

Crayne

Lairian
Yeah, you might want to try to ditch the chicken. Like someone else said, that's no bueno for many Sphynxes :) Hopefully it's as easy a fix as that!
Well I stopped feeding him chicken and rice that only lasted for about 3 days. I believe his treats are chicken but I don’t know what’s in his food so I need to check that out. Thank you!!

PurranhasDen

Lairian
I vote also for the Fortiflora. Spike came home from the breeder with that recommendation and for the few days in between running out of what she gave me and a new box coming, well….ewwwww. Now I mix a packet per day into his food. I don’t know about the chicken. My breeder feeds this ‘human grade chicken’ to her adult kings and queens. Ask your vet, but you might try going completely grain free. All of mine, furred and furless are on grain free and seem to do really well. The only time I see mushy poo is when someone (looking at you Dexter!) overindulges (aka breaking and entering) in the treats.

Sheldon13

Staff member
My guy does really well on saccharomyces boulardii. NOW foods makes it, but you can get other brands too. Just open a capsule and sprinkle a little on his food and it should help with his stools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back