Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

some questions before spaying

rustam bagirov

Lairian
hi everyone . we're getting our Evie spayed next week , and I was wondering if you could help me with some concerns i have .

She's 6 months old and about 2.5 kg

1. Our vet has experience with sphynx cats but I still want to make sure she doesnt use any drugs that may hurt my girl . what can't she use ?

2. I'm really scared that the procedure will change her personality . I've heard sometimes cats can become less social after getting spayed . the vet said it can happen only if we'll spay her during her heat , and that is not case . is it true ? has someone dealt with that?

3. since we got Evie we feed her dry food , and from time to time can of wet food . We keep her bowl full and she eats whenever she wants . I've noticed that spayed cats get fat very easy , should we change the way we feed her ?

I would love to hear some more advice you have that can help us prepare better .
Thanks alot!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
1. Our vet has experience with sphynx cats but I still want to make sure she doesnt use any drugs that may hurt my girl . what can't she use ? You want to be sure not to use Ketamine

2. I'm really scared that the procedure will change her personality . I've heard sometimes cats can become less social after getting spayed . the vet said it can happen only if we'll spay her during her heat , and that is not case . is it true ? has someone dealt with that? It would all depend on the cat, ours was fine and is still social.

3. since we got Evie we feed her dry food , and from time to time can of wet food . We keep her bowl full and she eats whenever she wants . I've noticed that spayed cats get fat very easy , should we change the way we feed her ? Just keep an eye on her weight and adjust the diet as needed.

rustam bagirov

Lairian
1. Our vet has experience with sphynx cats but I still want to make sure she doesnt use any drugs that may hurt my girl . what can't she use ? You want to be sure not to use Ketamine

2. I'm really scared that the procedure will change her personality . I've heard sometimes cats can become less social after getting spayed . the vet said it can happen only if we'll spay her during her heat , and that is not case . is it true ? has someone dealt with that? It would all depend on the cat, ours was fine and is still social.

3. since we got Evie we feed her dry food , and from time to time can of wet food . We keep her bowl full and she eats whenever she wants . I've noticed that spayed cats get fat very easy , should we change the way we feed her ? Just keep an eye on her weight and adjust the diet as needed.
Thank you!

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Sylvia

My vet used a premed of buprenorphine and acepromazine

Induction of anesthesia with propofol and sevoflourane

This is was an excellent combination for her. It was the first time with anesthetic that she wasn’t completely nuts during recovery. We will be doing this combination going forwards anytime she requires anesthesia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I believe my vet used Isoflurane gas as well as Propofol for Yoda's neuter!
These were used by my vet too when Butchie was neutered. As far as personality goes, I only noticed that he became less hyper and less bitey during play, but it didn't affect how social he is at all. He's still my little shadow! Can't comment on the weight gain, that has not been an issue for us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@rustam bagirov @Sylvia
My vet uses Isoflurane and propofol is as well

My girl spayed did not have to lessen food
She free feeds I put out smaller portions throughout the day

And Omg she is spayed and the most cuddle bug!

Keep us updated !

Ask your vet if the use comes of shame amd pain with pain meds to go home with

Many vets don’t use cones of shame collars
Tagging @MelissaAlice for her experience

my girl did just fine without any cone collar after the spay

* ask if the incision is an abdominal spay or a flank spay?

I learned it’s at vets discretion Od the incisiom location
A member was shocked assuming it would be an abdominal spay and imsteas came home with a flank side spay incision and a tattoo in the ear
So ask lots of questions l

If you are going to microchip - it’s a good idea to do during the spay surgery and be shore to actually call and reignited comfrim kitties info with the microchip company and update with any new address and phone numbers as they change

Last edited:

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom
To piggy back on what you’ve said:

I used to do animal rescue and we did a lot of spays and neutered. What I’ve found is that a collar/cone is not necessary if the animal has their pain managed. They only tend to lick the wound if it is hurting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro