Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Something to be aware of on Thanksgiving

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Just want to remind everyone to be careful this Thanksgiving and not make the mistake I made last year!
I know we all love to bone our turkey and save the wish bone to dry so we can break it and make A wish. Please if you do this put the wish bone some place that your cat can not get it.
Last year I put ours on the window sill like I always have and woke up at about 2 in the morning to Athena choking on our bed:Sweat: I got up with her and we could not figure out what was wrong, she was vomiting A bit and coughing and gagging alot. After coming downstairs we found the wish bone on the floor chewed up! Needless to say I did not spend my black Friday shopping last year but I spent it and my $$ in the vets office, she had eaten the wishbone. After some exrays they decided that it scratched her throat on the way down, did not puncture (thank goodness) but could have. Now the tricky part what goes in must come out and it was still in so they gave her some laxatives in hopes that it would pass without hurting anything on the way out. Well it worked and A couple of days later she was wishbone free!:BigSmile: I was so worried the entire time, and this could have been much worse.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thank you for posting this!

This isn't just a problem for cats, it's also a major problem for dogs. Any pet that eats cooked bone (small, large or otherwise) may wind up in the hospital requiring surgery to remove them.

In addition, be aware that sharing Thanksgiving food can cause pancreatitis in your pet. This is the biggest holiday that Vet Med sees GI upsets, pancreatitis, HGE and so forth.

Be wise this holiday: Put everything away before the festivities settle down and buy food ahead of time for your pets as treats. Practically everything we have on the table at Thanksgiving has the risk to cause some form of illness (and sometimes, yes, even death) in pets. Make sure to tell children that they are not permitted to feed table scraps. It's also wise to ensure that you have a number handy to an emergency hospital, just in case you need it and don't have the time to find one.

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks 4 the tip! I made up my mind that for thanksgiving I am leaving Maggie home & not bringing her to grams :( I don't want to worry about people giving her food or most important if she tries to run out the door when people are coming & going! I will prob bring her over ltr when some people leave & we r done eating. It's gonna break my heart & I'm gonna miss her , but @ least she will be safe! :)

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for the reminder!

I was asked to bring Sophie to Thanksgiving too but I declined the invite on Sophie's behalf. It will be too hectic and dangerous for her.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I second that on leaving your babies home. That is what happened to my Willow (RIP) on the 4th. Company accidently let her out and she was killed by a car. Enjoy your holiday without the worries.

susi794

Staff member
I second that on leaving your babies home. That is what happened to my Willow (RIP) on the 4th. Company accidently let her out and she was killed by a car. Enjoy your holiday without the worries.

That's why I stopped letting mine go outside on a leash--it just increased their desire to go out the door--and am so afraid they will get hurt or killed. I'm sooooo sorry about Willow--what a rotten thing to have happened.:Cry:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry to hear about Willow :( It's so heartbreaking to think about what can happen...

That's a very good reminder.

(I've never done the wishbone thing :Dizzy: )

Back