Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SaraWilly

Lairian
Hi all,

I have a question, Francis love love loves outside!
He will wake up, cry to wake the hubby and myself up then sit at the door and cry and cry and cry to go outside. He gets a minimum of an hour outside everyday but that doesn't stop him. Il bring him back inside and he will run around inside for 5-10 minutes then go sit at the door and keep crying.
We live on 7 acaers of land, most of it is just scrub bush (just around the house is all cleared) and he is very curious so he can't be left outside by himself because we don't want him getting lost at all. Plus he has a terrible habit of running away from us when we try to catch him to bring him back inside.
Does anybody have any tips to stop him crying and break the habit that he has gotten into?
He's our only baby for now, we do want to get another one. The hubby works away for 2 weeks and I work for 6 hours 4-5 days a week and I'm worried he's acting like this because he's bored.
Thank you all in advance for your help!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SaraWilly when Francis goes outside, is he on a leash/harness? If not, that might be a safer idea since he runs the other way when you and hubby try to catch him. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Is he neutered yet? I'm wondering if that might help with him crying at the door especially if there are any other cats (females) that wonder onto your property.

SaraWilly

Lairian
@GoldHazel no he's not on a leash because he doesn't like it and it's not that big of an issue as he never ever leaves our site.

And he has, the breeder we got him from desex's hers before she hands them over at 8 weeks.
I'm worried that it's because he doesn't have a friend to play with.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@SaraWilly can you get him a friend? It doesn't necessarily have to be another hairless, it can be a furry shelter kitty. That would probably be wonderful for him.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
This sounds very familair. I have 3 sphynx cats. All three of them love to play in the garden. They run around in the garden as long as they can, trying to catch bugs and catching eachother. When I need to get them back inside I have to use all kind of tricks.
When they're inside Ross starts to meoow very loud at the door. I learned to say "no" once and then ignore him. When he stops meoowing I give him a treat. The first times I made the mistake to open the door when he meoowed so it took a long time before he learned that meoowing loudly doesn't let me open the door.
So being with two or three sphynx cats your boy probably still meoows to get outside. Hopefully he will learn in time that meoowing won't bring him outside!

Back