Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Soon to be new sphynx mom

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forums and am very glad to come upon this as it has helped my research for my new baby coming home Nov. 17th. As I am NOT a new pet owner, it will be my first sphynx kitten and there have been so much to read up upon for this breed. Still reading up on what are some things I should purchase before her homecoming day and plenty of questions for my fellow sphynx mom/dad. Overall, she will be coming from Florida. Pretty stoked to add her to our full house of pets. Here are a few questions I have that would be MUCH appreciated if some would kindly help me.

1. Breeder is currently feeding her Instict raw bites. GREAT brand BUT eventually I want to switch her to dry Solid Gold. I've read that you can't mix raw and kibble due to digestion rates. How would I properly transition her OR what are your thoughts on feeding her dry?

2. I bathe all my pets (excluding my scottishfold) with Earthbath Aloe&Oatmeal shampoo. Is that a good shampoo for a sphynx or should I consider a different brand?

3. What are some possible necessities needed for my baby's homecoming? I already have the basic cat set up (cat litter, litter box, water fountain, scratching post, toys)

4. Heating wise. I've looked into thermo pet bed for times when we have to leave the house and she needs a space to stay warm. Does anyone have any experience with that or would you have any suggestions?

Thank you EVERYONE who've took their time to respond to my post. I look forward to meeting you and posting further pictures of my Raisin's homecoming!

Last edited by a moderator:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair! It’s great you are researching and preparing for your baby. This section of the community has some great information in it that you might enjoy. Sphynx Cat Help Center

Please feel free to add the pics of your baby within the thread. Due to having the Breeder’s Cattery name on the pic, it had to be removed. Be sure to ask your breeder first if you can remove their name before sharing. Some do not permit you to do it.

We will be happy to help you wait for Gotcha Day to come!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@RaisinBambino welcome to sphynxlair. What an exciting time for you! It's great you're doing research.

For switching from raw to kibbles: it's indeed not possible to feed kibble and raw food together. Best is to keep the raw food for the first weeks and only change the food when your baby is adjusted to the new house and family

The shampoo: I don't know this brand but if it's works for your current pets you can try to see how it works with a sphynx. Rise the shampoo very well to avoid a brownish/orange skin the next day

Sounds like you already have all yhe necessities. Lots of sphynx love to be able to climb in a cattree, to play with Da Bird (a feather toy) or a laser light.

For heating beds: I don't have one for my crew. I have snuggle pouches were they can crawl into and lots of blankets everywhere. For my crew that' enough to stay warm

RaisinBambino

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow Oops, I apologize for the posting. didn't know the rules & was just excited to show pictures of the new baby.

@admin Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to learning a lot from other sphynx parents and contributing to the sphynx community.

@Toa and Ross Thank you SOO much for responding to my concerns. Still learning a lot about what to do & I want to make sure I'm doing it right. I'm just worried for the lil baby not being fullfilled with her needs.

here's a picture of my little monster I will be getting on Nov. 28th !
image1 (1).jpeg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh my!! What a cutie. And sobeautiful. She's a seal point? My girl Foxy is a seal point too. So love your girls dark noseand blue eyes!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Lol...love how you are already calling Raisin a little monster....oh just you wait and see. I know the 28th can’t come fast enough for you.

Back