Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sooo much sickness

GabbyJ

Lairian
Guys. It has been horrible around here since bringing Mina home and I want to crawl into a hole and cry.

First, Mina has some type of allergy, maybe not. I’ll get to that in a moment. So, we go to the vets for her well check when she first comes in and vet thinks allergy. Isn’t 100 percent sure though. Recommends following up if the bumps are worse or start looking different. Well....they get worse. She gives a two week antibiotic (Convenia) and Revolution as it could possibly be mites? Her bumps are better. She also had conjunctivitis really bad and need eye ointment when she had her well check.

Over the weekend the poor girl is so ill with a URI that I take her to the e-vet as I’m worried that she really can’t breath. Lots of tongue out mouth breathing, snots and eye discharge. It’s viral, nothing can be done but supportive care. She’s much better today and eating and running around like she’s on speed. That same Saturday Beats, my sphynx meows and it sounds like croaking and I die a little more inside.

But wait, there’s more, my Maine coon stopped eating his raw and acted as though his mouth or teeth were giving him a bother. Take him in and get pain meds and if not better then full dental work up under sedation go check for stomatitis or a bad tooth. He’s only 9 months, so hoping he just tweaked his jaw and he’ll be all better soon.

Back to Beats, he’s coughing now and has what looks like ringworm and I WANT TO DIE!!! Appt today at 12:30 and they said quarantine him. Here’s the kicker, I’m wondering if Mina had ringworm from the get go and it wasn’t an allergy and she’s been shedding this fungus since she’s arrived. I have sooooooo many animals, I don’t know how I’ll clean/treat/quarantine everyone.

I love and adore my Mina so much but I am so mad at myself for this. I didn’t realize that all this would happen and I feel so bad about it all. Plus the e-veterinarian tried telling me Mina had mange because of her fur patterns. Even though I mentioned to so many people about her breed and how she’s suppose to look like that. : (: (

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 83

Sheldon13

Staff member
My goodness when it rains it pours! I’m sorry you are having such a tough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@GabbyJ oh sweetie a lair full of prayers for all paws!
Please please know we are here for you! I had a year from hel* with my crew too .I felt so much the same as you (((hugs)))) .. We are here for you

I personally would not put any more Revolution on her .
Positive vibes for the vet visit today
Hopeful not ringworm

If it is - we will be her to help you power thru!

PM anytime .. I have my little zoo too . when things go off I know the logistics can be a pain - PM anytime for tips and advise

Geez with the comment by the evet
I certainly would not want to go back to that one !

(((Squeeze hugs))))
Following closely for updates on your babies!

GabbyJ

Lairian
@GabbyJ oh sweetie a lair full of prayers for all paws!
Please please know we are here for you! I had a year from hel* with my crew too .I felt so much the same as you (((hugs)))) .. We are here for you

I personally would not put any more Revolution on her .
Positive vibes for the vet visit today
Hopeful not ringworm

If it is - we will be her to help you power thru!

PM anytime .. I have my little zoo too . when things go off I know the logistics can be a pain - PM anytime for tips and advise

Geez with the comment by the evet
I certainly would not want to go back to that one !

(((Squeeze hugs))))
Following closely for updates on your babies!

Oh man. So, since he has little hair she had trouble getting a scrap to test. She said it could take up to 10 days to grow and know for sure it’s ringworm. She said she’s positive that it is though. So we’re starting KetoHex baths for all pets. That’s SO MANY baths. Plus she’s put him on an anti-inflammatory for his throat, poor guy sounds like a dying frog.

I’ll be back with updates and the like and thank you and everyone here on the lair for the love and support. You guys are so lovely and supportive. {=

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@GabbyJ oooh when I only read it, I already feel like crying. So sorry you have to through all this. But I know you can manage it and you will get that ringworm under control. You can do it!
Sending lots of positive vibes. We're here for you!
Are some pets easy with baths? Maybe you can ask friends and family to come and help you?

GabbyJ

Lairian
@GabbyJ oooh when I only read it, I already feel like crying. So sorry you have to through all this. But I know you can manage it and you will get that ringworm under control. You can do it!
Sending lots of positive vibes. We're here for you!
Are some pets easy with baths? Maybe you can ask friends and family to come and help you?

Right?! I’ve been on the verge of tears all day. Thank you for sharing my burden. Then I got rear ended on the way from work to pick up Beats, to take him to the vet. Oh geez. If it isn’t one thing, it’s another.

The dogs are very easy to bathe and can go into our large shower all at once. Beats is easy of course, since he’s use to it. Linux can be showered, as he’s the most chill cat on the whole planet. Mina and Sephira.....hahahahaha, they’ll be an absolute pain in my butt.

We can and will do this! Ready for healthy, happy kitties and pups.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’m so sorry all of this is happening. I hope they all get better soon. Sending hugs your way.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh dear, you have a lot going on! So sorry that all this is happening. Hopefully they will be feeling better soon!

If I am not mistaken ringworm will glow under a black light. you could get one of those fancy urine detector lights (as I am sure they are a black light also) and see if it glows under it in a dark room.

GabbyJ

Lairian
oh dear, you have a lot going on! So sorry that all this is happening. Hopefully they will be feeling better soon!

If I am not mistaken ringworm will glow under a black light. you could get one of those fancy urine detector lights (as I am sure they are a black light also) and see if it glows under it in a dark room.

Thank you so much! We’re hoping so too. Hate to see them feeling bad, breaks my heart.

The vet used the woods lamp and it didn’t even glow. So, she has the test started with some of his peach fuzz and a little of the crusty from the sore. Hoping it’ll show something soon. 10 days can bake a lot of ringworm, I bet.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh. I know how overwhelming it can be. We rescued a girl years ago and being as many vets back then never had Sphynx as patients, missed that the little black dots were ringworm. She didn’t have true rings, more like scabs. 2 weeks to the day of getting her, I git a ring on me, and then the 2 other cats did. My husband didn’t (figures lol) I wanted to cry having to bathe them and I changed my sheets every day. It was a nightmare. I understand now the shampoo and some say meds are much more effective. I will recommend if you have a cat tree etc, the places they loved to rub the most need to be wiped down, or we used a steam cleaner on it as well as carpets etc. hang in there, it will get better. Lair Prayers are sent.

GabbyJ

Lairian
Ugh. I know how overwhelming it can be. We rescued a girl years ago and being as many vets back then never had Sphynx as patients, missed that the little black dots were ringworm. She didn’t have true rings, more like sobs. 2 weeks to the day of getting her, I git a ring on me, and then the 2 other cats did. My husband didn’t (figures lol) I wanted to cry having to bathe them and I changed my sheets every day. It was a nightmare. I understand now the shampoo and some say meds are much more effective. I will recommend if you have a cat tree etc, the places they loved to rub the most need to be wiped down, or we used a steam cleaner on it as well as carpets etc. hang in there, it will get better. Lair Prayers are sent.

Goodness! Of course your husband didn’t get it, mine probably wouldn’t/won’t either. So rude. Lol.

I’m freaking out because we have so many things for the cats and dogs. Toys, cat beds and a billion other small things that are hard or impossible to sanitize. We have two large cat trees and our largest living area has carpet. Do you have any recommendations for a carpet safe sanitizer?

I’m thinking of just picking everything up that’s bleachable/washable and washingit and then not putting it back out until this is all gone. Just the bare minimum that is the easiest to clean or sanitize. It’s easy with the dogs because they have less stuff but they shed the most. This is just generally sucky.

GabbyJ

Lairian
@GabbyJ checking in on you and your babies for updates

Well Beats and Mina are feeling better. The anti-inflammatory meds helped his croaking frog meow. He gets a bath today and he has no new sores or redness, so I hope that’s a good thing. Nothing from the vets yet about his growing sample, for ringworm. Blah. Mina has 4 more days on antibiotics but she’s feeling like a billion bucks this A.M.

I slept like the dead last night, which felt amazing. Can’t stress if you’re sleeping:0:ROFLMAO:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Goodness! Of course your husband didn’t get it, mine probably wouldn’t/won’t either. So rude. Lol.

I’m freaking out because we have so many things for the cats and dogs. Toys, cat beds and a billion other small things that are hard or impossible to sanitize. We have two large cat trees and our largest living area has carpet. Do you have any recommendations for a carpet safe sanitizer?

I’m thinking of just picking everything up that’s bleachable/washable and washingit and then not putting it back out until this is all gone. Just the bare minimum that is the easiest to clean or sanitize. It’s easy with the dogs because they have less stuff but they shed the most. This is just generally sucky.

Thought you might find this helpful

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
holy jeepers

That sure is a lot to deal with!
Can't blame you for being overwhelmed!
You got this though; just stop and take a nice deep breath and just keep repeating .. I GOT THIS

Dublin Riis

Lairian
I'm soooo sorry you're going through this @GabbyJ Though we love out pets, money looms over our heads when everything happens at the same time. Of course we bite the bullet when it comes to their care, but so afraid to see the financial result of it all. It doesn't matter in the end when our babies have come out alright on the other side of the fiasco. Hang in there. It can only get better from here. Fingers crossed. We're here to support you through it all.

GabbyJ

Lairian
I'm soooo sorry you're going through this @GabbyJ Though we love out pets, money looms over our heads when everything happens at the same time. Of course we bite the bullet when it comes to their care, but so afraid to see the financial result of it all. It doesn't matter in the end when our babies have come out alright on the other side of the fiasco. Hang in there. It can only get better from here. Fingers crossed. We're here to support you through it all.

Dublin!{= No way I could have a full bank account and sick babies. They come before everything and always will. We’re hoping that once we find out if it is ringworm (she’s pretty sure it is), we can get started with oral meds and ointment. Weve spent a wealthy families salary on our animals since we’ve had them, no stopping now:ROFLMAO:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@GabbyJ just curious did your vet shine a blacklight on the skin to see if they had ringworm? In about 60% of ringworm cases the fungus will glow under a blacklight. Most vets try that right away so there might not be as long of a waiting for lab results...this way they can start meds right away.

GabbyJ

Lairian
@GabbyJ just curious did your vet shine a blacklight on the skin to see if they had ringworm? In about 60% of ringworm cases the fungus will glow under a blacklight. Most vets try that right away so there might not be as long of a waiting for lab results...this way they can start meds right away.

She did but it didn’t glow at all. Which she said is not uncommon. We’ve started the shampoo but she didn’t want to start meds until she was extra certain. Which I totally understand, as Linux, Beats and Mina have been on numerous meds recently for one thing or another.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Holy frijoles! I'm glad things are getting better. This reminds me of the time I had to get rid of fleas from the carpeting. First I rented one of the machines and cleaned it myself. Then I had Stanley steamer out. I don't know how it is with ringworm but hopefully it comes out easier. Hang in there...better days ahead.

Back