Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

JessyJane

Lairian
Good morning everyone! So a little background before I get into the dirty stuff.. I have a 2 year old male [dobby] and a 13 week old female [laveau]. I am gone from 6am to 6pm Monday through Friday and I clean the kitty box before and after work and after they use the bathroom while I am home.

I recently purchased an automatic cleaning cat box [which was such a terrible idea].. this cat box had a metal "rake" that would drag through the box and [supposed to clean it] chop the poop up into a million pieces or just smear it ever where. So whenever my babies go in there they are standing on little bits of poop.. I came home and there was poop smear everywhere by the cat box. I swear they poop at least 5-10 times a day it seems.

I feel like I am losing my mind, $275.00 spent on a poop smearing cat box and now in the market for a box again that will not be an issue for my babies or for me. I need a cat box that is big, it can be self cleaning [if it actually works] or I don't have a problem cleaning it myself. I need help!!
What do you all use? Litter or crystals? Automatic?

Please help me ! :bigtears:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Yikes that's no fun spending so much money on something that oy makes a mess. I don't live in your country so can't advice on brands but I use a cheap plastic litter box. I use litter that clumps. I'm away 12 hours a day like you so I scoop in the morning and evening. I clean the boxes once a month completly. My cats and the boxes stay clean like this.

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poop smearing litter boxes wouldn't sell if they marketed them truthfully! Sorry you are having issues.

I use crystals, but I'm lucky that I work nights and Rosie usually poops in the afternoon or evening before I go to work and I can scoop straight away. (Hmm is it right to say I'm lucky that I'm home to scoop poop?? :ROFLMAO:) I like the crystals as they absorb liquid well and has no odour at all when a bit soiled. I only have a standard size tray so generally clean the whole tray every 10 days or so. The crystals are supposed to last a month, but I don't like the thought of her stepping on where she's peed, so yes, a week to 10 days between cleaning the whole tray.
I'm in Australia and I don't even know if the self cleaning trays have reached the Southern Hemisphere yet, but I hope you find what you are looking for.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
While I really don't have any advice to give, I'm sorry that you are going through this. I shouldn't have laughed, but your writing style is wonderful, and gave me a chuckle about poop Smearing devices. I know that a number of people, including @Catzzzmeow Have had great experiences with the litter robot – but I'm not sure if this is what you have or a "knockoff".

Suffice to say, the easiest thing might be for you just to put out 3 litter boxes and your pair can sort out how they wish to manage them when you are not around.

Hugs.

JessyJane

Lairian
thank you all!!! :)
I appreciate all of you and your advice. @Toa and Ross I think my previous box, before the auto was too small for the both of them, so maybe if I upgrade that, we wont have any more issues.
@lealea I too would consider you lucky to be there to scoop poop hahaha the Smear Machine has crystals and I like that part of it... its the rest of it I have a hard time with lol
@Xandria I am also glad you got a chuckle out of it! I have been telling myself I will laugh about the "war paint poop" on my wall one day and I am sitting here laughing about it, so at least we know I still have my sense of humor... not too sure about my sense of smell though.

I am going straight home after work today to box up that Auto Smear and take it away! I will be going back to the pet establishment that fibbed to me about the greatness of the previous said box and will be purchasing the largest cat box they have. I too am sure the one I have is a imposture to the litter robot. To my surprise part of the mess may come from my two little angels going into the box at the SAME TIME! :facepalm::banghead: but the poop rake didn't help , I'm sure of it.
I think I will also follow your advice by having another box, so they can choose and to prevent overflow when I am away.

Update: I left a review of the Smear Machine on the store's website that I bought it from to prevent someone else from spending that kind of money and the hassle of repainting the walls of your house surrounding this contraption. The website wouldn't allow me to posts because they said I had profanity in my review... It took me forever to figure out they were talking about "POOP"! o_O

hope you all have a lovely weekend :happy:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
IMG_0022.JPG

I have a large tote and I cut a square hole out about middle ways.
On the end.
You can leave the lid on or off. Whatever your cats prefer.
I would get two of these and they are cheap. Best thing
I could have bought.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@JessyJane is it possible to get two litterboxes? It's best when every cat has his/her own litterbox. I have 3 sphynx and 3 litterboxes. I think most have the amount of litterboxes compaired to the amount of cats

JessyJane

Lairian
Thank you all!! I wanted to give a little update on the poop situation. Things are under control! What a relief.. unfortunately I wasn't able to get a handle on the whole ordeal Before Laveau earned the new name Sh*t Storm, she's the most precious little girl but that name accurately describes her.. before I was able to switch cat boxes she went to the bathroom and I saw her trying to get out of the box, I walked over to grab her because she was going to step in it and she jumped... needless to say the spring in her step caused the poop to fling through the air, splattering the wall behind and raining litter. I like to think it was all litter that covered my body but no one can be sure. It would have been nice if it was a solid one but to my dismay it wasn't. Sh*it Storm is loving the new box and seems to be much more relaxed with the robot smear machine out of the house.

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 17