Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SOOOOO Frustrated!!! Winnie's IBS is awful!

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Teetering on meltdown. :Cry::Cry:

Because I left Winston for a week (in the very capable hands of my two roommates), he developed a case of stress colitis. This seems to have triggered some kind of major intestinal meltdown, and despite a change in medications (saw his vet a week ago, up'd the Flagyl and added Sulfasalzine - never tried the combo before), he's still having off and on issues - and by issues I mean soft stools that end up all over his backside. Awful thing is, it seems like the soft stool now may be tied to the fact that I've had to go in to campus two days this week, and because his backside is unpredictable, he had to be locked in my room while I was gone (roommates' orders). So now I'm worried that his stress colitis is causing further stress colitis, and so on and so forth...

I just don't know what to do.
He's on an extremely controlled - and bland - diet for his IBS - nothing has changed. This diet had worked before I went to Canada! I had even been able to taper him down to 1/4 Flagyl every other day and he had been doing great on that dose for weeks. Now I feel like we're back to square one, but he's pumped full of meds while eating the food that used to be okay.

I feel so bad for him and would do anything to make this all clear up. I just someone could tell me what the hell to do!!!!

Thankfully, he's happy and healthy otherwise (he weighs 12 pounds 2 ounces for the love of god)... but this can't be comfortable for him.

Is it time to buck my vet I love so dearly and try raw!?!? She's so good and has specialty training in GI issues, but I hate just pumping him full of more and different drugs all the time. UGH. I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for reading my rant. :Sweat:
Just needed to pound it out.

Any suggestions are of course welcome, but know I've tried all kinds of dry food (he now eats a limited ingredient diet as well as boiled chicken and gets probiotics daily) and just about every antibiotic on earth. Steroids have been avoided due to his size... He's big and doesn't need any medication that's going to make him any bigger.

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm so sorry to hear about Winnie...he is such a cutie pie :Cry: Does he have a long history of medical conditions (apologies, I just joined a few months ago so you may have posted about them before)...

Emma and I will be praying he gets to feeling better soon, I wish I had more advice, but I'm still in my early stages of owning a sphynx

Take care and know you are doing the best by him!

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you! :Smile:
And yeah, poor Winston has really had a rough go when it comes to his digestive tract.
He has irritable bowel syndrome which is true to its name, for both of us!

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't have any advice for you but I am really sorry that both you and Winston are going through this.

The only thing I can think of is a stool sample. Even if you've already done one it doesn't hurt to recheck.

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you!
I really appreciate the support.
We did a fecal again last week to make sure he didn't have anything infectious. It was clear, which is good and frustrating at the same time.

susi794

Staff member
Everything I have read about IBS says ultimately the best thing is a raw diet with a novel protein. Like rabbit or venison. It would also be good for his weight. Give it a try--nothing else seems to be doing the trick and raw is an easy fix.

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Woo:
My youngest (now 12 months) has a VERY sensitive tummy with runny poop since I got her. I tried all sorts of food without all the additives. She was checked for everything and the vet asked me to try Royal Canine Gastro Intestinal GIM 35 in wet/pouch form and so I put both my Sphynx on it as the older 1 (who is now 2) was always a bit "soft". After 5 days WOW:Surprise: solid poop!!!!! I now give them some of the wet food and have the dry version out for them all the time.

Vet says I can leave them on it for "life" and i cant go thru all the runny poop so I probably will. I cant give them treats either as this affects their tummies or even plain chicken.......oh well.....
Maybe give it a go? You can get it from many places online( you dont need a prescription) but our vet stocks it too

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks so much, Suzi and Hairless!

We're heading in to the vet later this afternoon and we're going to have a real "come to jesus" talk about switching to raw. I just can't keep pumping him full of antibiotics and whatever else with no effect when there's an "easy" option that might end all of this for him. I just need to talk to her first about how to transition given the meds he has been taking (i.e. whether to continue at a low dose for a few days post switch, etc etc).

I've been scouring the raw info on here and the web this a.m. and I'm thinking I'll start with the nature's variety frozen medallions. If that works, then I can think about moving over to a more economical solution long term, like My Pet Carnivore.

Thanks again for all the support!!! It is really, REALLY appreciated.

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Crinkuls!

I'll file those suggestions away for another option if the raw doesn't pan out!!

And I'm glad your kitty is doing better! Must be such a relief!!! :BigSmile:

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:ThumbsUp:

Im a bit squeamish with all the "raw" stuff but logically it sounds good. Seems theres more options with "ready made" raw in US than here in UK. Certainly having Sphynx on meds isnt ideal and im lucky that the first thing i tried (Royal Canine GIM 35) sorted out my baby so I will stick with it. They didnt find anything in the poop they tested.

Good luck !!!!:ThumbsUp:

susi794

Staff member
Kristi, I don't think My Pet Carnivore services your area--but you can try other sources-Feline Instincts makes a powder that you mix with your own raw ground meats and then freeze. It's good, the cats like it usually and for only a few cats it's pretty economical. Nature's Variety is also supposed to be good--my cats didn't like it and I couldn't afford it anyway, but it was convenient. Hope it works out for you.
Much love,
Susi

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks, Susi!

I ended up buying a bag of Nature's Variety Frozen Organic Chicken Medallions. Pretty pricey, and it'll be extra hard to do this on my grad student budget, but I'm more than okay making sacrifices in other areas of my budget if it works. Plus, he's already eating a pretty expensive diet as is given he has been eating 3oz of cook organic chicken a day, +1/4 can of wet food, + 2/5 of a cup of limited ingredient kibble, + probiotics. And then there's all the medicine and pill pockets, etc, etc. But, I'm a huge sucker for Winston and will do anything for my boy!!

And My Pet Carnivore actually does now deliver to Cleveland!!! It doesn't show up if you just search their Ohio delivery stops, but they make a couple stops in the city on their "Kentuckiana & Ohio" delivery route which happens x1 a month.

I appreciate the advice and recommendations! I may be looking to you for more :Smile:

slt381

Lairian
Hey there, I have one sphynx who also has IBS, his sister from the same litter has no issues at all. I can feed her just about anything and she has a solid poo. My male on the other hand was very challenging. However, what I've discovered through process of elimination is that 1. dry cat food made him bloated and caused diarrhea, so he no longer gets kibble. That solved the problem for a bit. 2. The next thing we learned is that he is sensitive to chicken/turkey. Since cutting that source of protein completely out of his diet, he is like a new cat, solid poops everyday and man am I glad for that!! Some of the brands I've been using are Merrick, Evo - Duck,Venison and Beef, Nutrience has been really good since they have bison, duck, rabbit and a little fish now and then (his poops are amazing after those meals). Also Spot's stew and a few wellness cans have no chicken ingredients at all... I know how frustrating and messy this issue is, I hope you can find a solution without breaking the bank!!

-sam

kristininn

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks Sam and Gothicmist!

Winnie's been on a raw diet for a week and a half now, and although we're having a couple issues with the firm poo irritating his bottom, he's doing SO much better. I wish I had switched him to raw months ago!!!

Nowadays, he only poos x1 daily instead of 3-6x a day. He no longer has poo on his bum, feet, tail, etc after each time he uses the box. He's also losing weight (which he needs to) and he seems to feel better in general. I'm hoping this will soon be a 100% solution!!

janettandamber

Lairian
Teetering on meltdown. :Cry::Cry:

Because I left Winston for a week (in the very capable hands of my two roommates), he developed a case of stress colitis. This seems to have triggered some kind of major intestinal meltdown, and despite a change in medications (saw his vet a week ago, up'd the Flagyl and added Sulfasalzine - never tried the combo before), he's still having off and on issues - and by issues I mean soft stools that end up all over his backside. Awful thing is, it seems like the soft stool now may be tied to the fact that I've had to go in to campus two days this week, and because his backside is unpredictable, he had to be locked in my room while I was gone (roommates' orders). So now I'm worried that his stress colitis is causing further stress colitis, and so on and so forth...

I just don't know what to do.
He's on an extremely controlled - and bland - diet for his IBS - nothing has changed. This diet had worked before I went to Canada! I had even been able to taper him down to 1/4 Flagyl every other day and he had been doing great on that dose for weeks. Now I feel like we're back to square one, but he's pumped full of meds while eating the food that used to be okay.

I feel so bad for him and would do anything to make this all clear up. I just someone could tell me what the hell to do!!!!

Thankfully, he's happy and healthy otherwise (he weighs 12 pounds 2 ounces for the love of god)... but this can't be comfortable for him.

Is it time to buck my vet I love so dearly and try raw!?!? She's so good and has specialty training in GI issues, but I hate just pumping him full of more and different drugs all the time. UGH. I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for reading my rant. :Sweat:
Just needed to pound it out.

Any suggestions are of course welcome, but know I've tried all kinds of dry food (he now eats a limited ingredient diet as well as boiled chicken and gets probiotics daily) and just about every antibiotic on earth. Steroids have been avoided due to his size... He's big and doesn't need any medication that's going to make him any bigger.

I don't understand why vets do not like the raw diet. My 3 are on it and have no problems. The poop is firm and no smell. you can walk into my house and not know i have a cat and I have 3. not to mention they are very healthy. I purchase the kitten mix from Blue ridge beef, it has all the vitamin and mineral included. hope this helps.

slscogin

Lairian
Thanks Sam and Gothicmist!

Winnie's been on a raw diet for a week and a half now, and although we're having a couple issues with the firm poo irritating his bottom, he's doing SO much better. I wish I had switched him to raw months ago!!!

Nowadays, he only poos x1 daily instead of 3-6x a day. He no longer has poo on his bum, feet, tail, etc after each time he uses the box. He's also losing weight (which he needs to) and he seems to feel better in general. I'm hoping this will soon be a 100% solution!!

Im happy the raw seems to be helping!! I totally understand your pain. I Have a 15 year old small dog with IBD; so I have been where you are. Hes on a perscription diet, which is SO expensive, but it works for him for now. You may still have issues after a while, bc of the chicken still being the protine sorce. The IBD is sometimes caused by a type of allergy, that they develope to certain protienes. You are supposed to use a novel (which means new, never eaten before) Protine. Just a heads up, in case you start to have issues again, I would recomend switching to a more rare meet (like the rabbit), BUT dont switch unless you have to & dont let him "taste" it unless you have to switch, bc again, its supposed to be a protine they have never eaten before. But I'm Soo happy that this is working for you! I love raw food & I personally think its the best anyone can feed thier pets. Too bad it so expensive!

Back