Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sore on Back after Spay....??

Don Waffle

Lairian
Hello my fellow Lairians! I love coming to visit here and there and see all these cute little fur-less balls of love! They're all so sweet!!

I have a question though, regarding Waffles. She Is 2.5 Years old and we had her spayed last Wednesday. There was an injection site, and off to the side of it, a bump. The vet assistant told me to keep an eye on it. I thought it could be a possible tumor or something of the sort. But a couple days later it turned into a random open sore. I didn't notice it until that night, when it looked to be scabbard up already. I've kept my eye on it since I noticed it. It hasn't gotten bigger, but is for sure very noticeable. It hasn't had any cracking issues, and doesn't seem to bother Waffles, but I can't help but wonder what in the world it could be or could have caused it. I've posted a picture. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I would go to the vet if I thought it was infected or getting worse, but other than it just being there, it doesn't seem to be a worry really.
Anyway, I appreciate all you feline lovers, and any advice you might have.
xx

Last edited:

Don Waffle

Lairian
Weird that it didn't post. But None the less, here is the photo. I'll try and post another one with something near it so y'all can get an idea of its size.

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 12.55.34.jpg
    2014-07-16 12.55.34.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Don Waffle

Lairian
I called the clinic where she had her spay done and explained the scenario. She is going to talk to the vet-tech (who was the one to point it out to me. She's not the vet like I thought. ) Anyway, she's going to call me back and let me know what the tech says about it. Thanks all y'all, for your replies. I appreciate you!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Good. I'd be pretty pushy about it. They might even allow you to email a picture so they can see how big this is. Risk of infection is big due the litter box and also the fact how naturally dirty these guys get. Please let us know how you make out.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Any vet worth their salt would look at it free of charge as a follow up. It is definitely related to the surgery and the care they provided. As Patti said, I would be pretty pushy about it too.

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
did she have IV fluids administered during the surgery? I don't know why they gave her an injection there. Normally they do leg, thigh or shoulder scruff. I would raise a stink about it, because it looks like you can put things inside of it. Maybe get some vet wrap and give her a little kitty tube top with some gauze under it with some antiseptic for now until you can get her to the vet. But there is no reason why she should have a hole in her back.

I had them put glucose fluids under the skin of a dog that was dehydrated once and there was a huge lump between his shoulder blades. That's all I can think of that it could be for Waffles...

Plus, shameless showoff of Yuri. I think he misses her. He loves it here but it's all boys. Lol I'll let him know that he needs to worry about her and we will be rooting for Waffles to get better soon.

uploadfromtaptalk1405545139986.jpg

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That looks similar to when an abscess forms and after cleaned leaves a hole. As @Kyla L asks, there could have been a needle there (that maybe created an infection). I would definitely whisk her right back to the vet. Poor girl!

Back