Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So as many of you I brought Pippin home on Thursday night. On Thursday her spay insicion was normal looking, and today there's a huge bump. I have never encountered something like this before when I've had kittens spayed in the past. Can somebody help shed some light, I will try posting a picture in a few to show you what I am talking about. I've already emailed her vet, but there are no guarantees that he will get back to me tonight. Any opinions would be great!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here's the pictures of the bump I was talking about, both front and side view. It looks like a hernia, but I'm not sure.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, Patti. I sent him the pictures too so he's supposed to get back to me. It's not bothering her she's still as active as ever, but we've never seen something happen like this before. It was small when we saw her doctor on Friday and he didn't say anything about it, so it might not be anything to worry about, but I've always been a worry wort. I'll definitely keep you in the loop!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had not had girls in years and when Jouët got a small hard bump After her spay I called our vet and asked questions as well. Hernias with or without abdominal surgeries can pop up. Glad it is not bothering her... That is the important part. Fingers crossed ... But great to know you are on top if it! Will look for update tomorrow.

Patti

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, Patti. Her vet said without seeing her or the pictures that he still thinks it's scar tissue by the way she is acting and he said it was completely normal on Friday, even though it's much bigger now. I'll let you know when I find out more!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the pictures of the bump I was talking about, both front and side view. It looks like a hernia, but I'm not sure.
View attachment 46029 View attachment 46030
It is normal on a spay to get a small bump in the incision site area, that bump appears larger than normal. As others said, it appears to be a hernia of sorts. I would shoot the pics over to the vet for clarification.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks everyone, the vet said if it starts draining or bothering her to bring her in, otherwise she can wait until the 30th when she's due for her shots. So far she's been an extreme ball of energy so we haven't brought her in, but the bump ended up getting to be twice the size of when he saw her on Friday but he said when he saw her he wasn't too worried about it. I'll keep everyone posted, thanks again!

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Pip went to the vet today, she ended up with a hematoma. Dr. Drew ended up poking a hole into her little nodule and out came liquid when he originally thought it could be a hernia, so this ended up being less invasive. She has been put on oral antibiotics, and to help her gain the weight she lost back she is on Nutri-Cal. None of us knew she had an infection since she didn't have a fever, wasn't lethargic, and was eating like there was no tomorrow. So today she has been getting spoiled, even with extra treats for getting a bath, and extra treats from the vet. On that note I'll leave you guys with some pictures of Pip from today.:) IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
That is great news that it was not a hernia! It sure looked like it. Not having to have surgery again is a big plus. Now let's hope the antibiotics do the trick and may the spoiling commence!

Patti

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, Patti! She is home now and being pampered. Pippin actually fell in love with herself today when she found out she had coconut oil on her. She also got babied by Dr. Drew so she was content at the vet's especially since she got spoiled with treats and love by him. She got one round of antibiotics when she got home and stole the other cat's food which is the same canned food luckily, the Nutri-Cal is quite easy to give to her since she loves the taste of it oddly enough. Everyone will definitely be kept posted on how she's doing since she has to go see the vet again in 2 weeks.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks, andreanar Pippin is so excited that we've figured out what is wrong that she keeps running across my keyboard and crying out when I'm not in sight when she leaves the room. She's back to claiming everybody's attention. She's scarfing down the Nutri-Cal like there's no tomorrow, if I didn't know any better I'd say she likes being sicky so she can get everybody's attention. Next stop stopping her from scarfing everybody's food.

Back