Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Spaying a sphynx cat

Rachael Slater

Lairian
Hi so ive just got two sphynx female kittens who are ready to be spayed.
However i have been given the choice of a midline or normal (side) spay. Which do people normally go for with a sphynx? Ive never had sphynx before so everything is new, but so much fun, apart from decisions like these.
Can anyone advice!
Many thanks
Rach

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Rachael Slater welcome to sphynxlair. Congratulations with your kittens.
English is not my native language so not sure what a midline spay is. But my sphynx girl has scar on her tummy near her bellybutton.
Hopefully others will chime in who can give better advice:)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rachael Slater welcome to the lair family :)
Look forward to pics amd tales !

there is a pic of a flank spay of a members kitty
FYI ... A member shared .. She was shocked when the vet without asking did a tattoo ID in her Sphynx' ear to her so be sure to ask about the too!

I have read it's up to the vet if they do a flank spay or abdominal midline spay - I never knew- so I learned to ask lots of questions so all om the same page .

Definitely ask about anesthesia and mark their charts NO Ketamine anesthesia - it can have a deadly rebound effect on the heart if there is an underlying undetected heart issue .
Ask the vet if they use Propofol amd Isoflurane gas anesthesia or similar - again - NO Ketamine-
It's marked on all my pets vet charts - fur kids and nakeds .

I personally with s Sphynx prefer a midlife abdominal spay instead of a flank spay

Let us know what you decide

Her is a link using the search box
Search Results for Query: Flank spay | Sphynxlair

Back