Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Spaying or Neuter

Sylvia

Lairian
I have a question do some vets not spay or neuter a cat because they are purebred I called Angell Memorial service in Jamaica plain, mass .they have discounted services they told me sphynx cats are too expensive they can't discount them because Chloe comes from a breeder a they have a a lot of problems they have to be watched constantly is this true I think this is discrimination against our babies

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Never heard that before. Perhaps because they offer a discounted service they might not carry another form of anesthesia other than Ketamine/a cheaper form. Sphynx should never be given Ketamine for anesthesia. Because if they have an undetected heart issue, it can be fatal and unfortunately, we are seeing more and more often HCM in the breed even with responsible breeders. So maybe they just dont want to take the chance.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Personally I don’t think it should be used on cats at all and my vet agrees. There are plenty of other cats too who could have HCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I worked for a Spay and Neuter Clinic for 2 years and my sister worked for them for almost 7; we did/do sphynxies all the time.
Not sure what would make them "discriminate" against pure breed babies.

Joanne

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I live in Massachusetts and Bella’s vet spayed her, no problem.

Yoda mom

Staff member
My first sphnyx Yoda and HCM /bad heart - the regular vet who does the low cost shot clinic also offers a low cost spay /neuter and No Ketamine -

She was spayed without any problems through the low cost spay neuter clinic who was actually the regular vet anyway

just had to make one phone call to have the spay scheduled through the low cost clinic

Keep us updated