Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Special New Years Eve food?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Do you have any special food you eat at New Years Eve?
In the Netherlands deep-fried raisin buns are the number one food.

My crew loves them too as you can see. It should have had powered sugar on it but that would have become to messy
(Ps they were only allowed to lick it a bit and not to eat the whole bun).

20191231_203442.jpg

20191231_203028.jpg

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not British of course, but I don't think there's any particular food to be eaten here on New Year's eve (unless it has completely escaped my notice...). When we lived in Spain the we tried to partake in the tradition of eating the 12 grapes; you eat one with every strike of the bell at midnight! I would say try it for a laugh, but I seriously don't know how there aren't loads of deaths from choking due to this practice :ROFLMAO: It's really not easy! You can cheat a bit though, and buy a little container with 12 prepared, peeled and seedless grapes... :giggle:

@Toa and Ross I never knew those were traditional for New Year despite having lived in The Netherlands for many years! However, I clearly remember the sweet, oily smell at Christmas time, from all the oilebollen sellers on the streets :) I always felt like I had eaten some just because the smell was so strong, so never ended up actually buying any lolz...

Oh,.. I forgot my home country! :0 I haven't lived there for many years now, but as far as I can remember there is not traditional food for today. There's lots for Christmas, but not the new year. @Zab will have to correct me if I'm forgetting something! :D

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Cinafina you know oliebollen! How funny.
And you're so right about the sweet, oily smell. It is disguisting and you don't want to eat any oliebol anymore after that smell.
I don't like oliebollen at all. But well, still need to eat one on Christmas Eve. Silly I know

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina you know oliebollen! How funny.
And you're so right about the sweet, oily smell. It is disguisting and you don't want to eat any oliebol anymore after that smell.
I don't like oliebollen at all. But well, still need to eat one on Christmas Eve. Silly I know

Well, here in the UK mince pices are traditional at Christmas. I don't like them that much, but I still end up eating a good few... :giggle:

Yoda mom

Staff member
just made some chestnuts..
cashier at the store said" what is it with chestnuts tonight?" had several customers buying them today.
can't make them like the streets of New York I always enjoyed... but did microwave a few!

just some pizza with mom tonight... her big TV went out tonight so will be watching on the 13 inch LOL
all good...
put on the xmas lights for the last time this year...just my tradition

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
just made some chestnuts..
cashier at the store said" what is it with chestnuts tonight?" had several customers buying them today.
can't make them like the streets of New York I always enjoyed... but did microwave a few!

just some pizza with mom tonight... her big TV went out tonight so will be watching on the 13 inch LOL
all good...
put on the xmas lights for the last time this year...just my tradition

I love chestnuts! I have bought them and roasted them myself a few times, but on more than one occasion I just ended up with them exploding in the oven! : ( It's a total nightmare to clean off!! Can you just microwave them..? :oops:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina, I cut a little x on top, put in a bowl with a little bit of water
miccrowave at 1 minute intervals watching for them to open.
I nuke 1 minute, then put on for another minute and usually within a total of 1 min 45 seconds they are good!
I open them when hot using a paper towel. They come easy and no skin attached

I just looked up their nutritional benefits :)
I ruined them every time I tried them in the oven.. I over cooked them

hugs n head smooches

Sheldon13

Staff member
In Texas, and I dunno maybe the states in general, no New Years Eve tradition. But on New Years Day it is the tradition to eat black eyed peas for luck. Usually it is paired with ham, but that part is not a requirement.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back