Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Spectator etiquette?

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I'm attending my first cat show in March. Not as a participant but as a spectator. I've never been to cat show. I've even seen a cat show to be honest. What should I expect? What is the etiquette? How can I be a good patron?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Theedaysleeper We have been to several as spectators only. It is fun. Very different from dog shows. You can walk around and go from each judging table freely. Some people sit, some stand to watch the judging. Bring $ there are vendors at them who sell unique cat toys, trees, catnip, shirts, jewelry etc.

Just know most do not let you touch their cats or some have antibacterial that you need to use first as they fear their cat getting something from people touching other cats etc. Lots of crazy cat people under one roof makes for a fun and interesting time lol.

Patti

Theedaysleeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Theedaysleeper We have been to several as spectators only. It is fun. Very different from dog shows. You can walk around and go from each judging table freely. Some people sit, some stand to watch the judging. Bring $ there are vendors at them who sell unique cat toys, trees, catnip, shirts, jewelry etc.

Just know most do not let you touch their cats or some have antibacterial that you need to use first as they fear their cat getting something from people touching other cats etc. Lots of crazy cat people under one roof makes for a fun and interesting time lol.

Patti
Oh! I didn't expect vendors! Let the shopping begin! :LOL:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Don't know how it goes in your country but in the Netherlands you can walk around and look at the cats when they're in their cage or showed to the jury. Most people who show their cats love to tell about the catbreed they have with them. It's all kind of relaxed with no strict rules. But as said, that's the way it goed around here.

Natasja

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Theedaysleeper , Great advice given! You will enjoy!
There are often chairs set up by each judging table-
If you get - front row seat , you can often hear the judge talk about each particular breed.

Also , not all shows will have sphynx - the last show I went to the sphynx breeder was a no show-
It happens sometimes.

You will see very interesting cat set ups while walking around looking at exhibitors grooming areas

Often the exhibitors eat on the run at their area so I am sure not interrupt their lunch-
They may not answer questions bcz they are concentrating on their turn with the judges.

Also, I do not not take pictures or pet kitties at their grooming areas.

You will have fun :)
Some shows I have been too have "cat agility "
Looking forward to your experience !

Ps- I personally bring my own hand sanitizer and actually spray my shoes off with disinfectant after the shows.

I also keep a piece of paper with kitties measurements with me in my purse along with a cloth measuring tape -
Great for clothes , collars , cat tree blanket pads to buy at shows

Last edited: