Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphinx Cat Climbing

Catrina

Lairian
I recently got my 2 boys. They are 7 & 3 and the sweetest 2 boys I could ever have hoped for. I have had them about 3/4 weeks now. They are huge climbers and climb on everything they can reach. I have gotten them a couple cat trees but my biggest concern is that they will go on the stove all the time. Even when the stove is on they are all over it. I cook things i.e pasta with a lid on the pot so they don't try and stick their head in the pot and burn their faces but i'm afraid of them walking on the stove while the burners are on/cooling off and burning their feet. Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone else gotten their cats to stop climbing on the counters/stove/dining room table? Especially at the age of 7&3 or is it just a lost cause?

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What rascals you have. Keep telling them 'no' when they climb and jump on the stove. You could also try canned air as soon as they come near the stove. Hopefully this will work.

@Yoda mom you're a very good cattrainer. Maybe you know some tricks?

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Canned air could work well but you could also try laying tin foil down on the counter tops so when they jump up it slips and scares them a little but also they don't like the sound/feel. Otherwise you could look at clicker training (google it there are heaps of great videos on it) training them to sit on a stool or a chair near by the kitchen counter rather than on the counter.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catrina , first of all Happy Gotchas amd welcome to the lair family!
Hope you can share pics! What are their names ?
Bless you for opening your hear and home to the two boys!

I have 4 adult adoptees who are stove heat seekers and climbers too.
Some have tried canned air , scat mats etc.

I decided if amd when the stove top or oven I will just put them in my bedroom until the stove cools -

Being little monkeys I got them a smart car climber that mounts with tension over a door -
I train them to the smart cat climber for treats n head smooches -
They are wearing it out! They now run to it pounce on it together and wait for treats .
Their fav cat tree has bolstered cushiony top perches - it's called a kitty mansion Redwood car tree
(I do not use the decorative vines it comes with just in case they decide to chew on it!)

I love the kitty mansions redwood cat tree too! It is dark grey with dark brown sisal for scratching , a cubby cave and about 76" tall with a 24" base it is sturdy! All 4 romp up amd does it up the sides of it to the top and it stays put .
Various prices on line.

I train my 4 like a dog - praise amd treats :) to the cat climber amd cat tree.
To be honest , my oldest monkey boy brothers are 8 yrs old ,
I just put them in my bedrroom if I use the stove (lol once a year for Thanksgivimg - I use the outdoor grill uesr round )

Surely others will chime in :)

Keep us updated
Look forward to your journey with us

Love your avatar pic! Handsome boys! Look very bomded :)

Catrina

Lairian
their names are Louie and Toby they were a bonded pair so they came together. my bedroom door the latch is currently broken so i'm afraid that wouldn't work as they could just open it with their paws. unless i put them in the bathroom. yesterday when cooking they didn't jump on stove which is good. lately i've been cooking with lid and leaving pot on stove until it's cooled down so if they do go on stove all the hot parts are covered.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catrina I wouldn't take chances - my bonded pair brothers weren't consistent enough for my liking to stay away -
It just takes a second for severe burns.

I have used the bathroom for time outs - I put in food eater amd a small cat bed - they could have cared less to be in there for a little while till the stove cooled -
I got into s routine of putting them up of I use the stove -
Bye watch candles too if you use them-
They can be inquisitive to touch or smell
Mine even tried touching hot pots amd lids on the stove ! When I was using all 4 cooking areas!
They still tried to step in between the pots when I went to the fridge or bathroom

If you have floor heat registers - I put plastic deflectors on to use so they couldn't sit on them either .

Bless you for keeping Louie amd toby together !
My bomded pair are incredible together like yours

Lol I swear they work together to get into mischief behind my back - lol
The reason I put them up to be 100% safe

Head smooches sent!

Back