Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

sphnyx being hypoallergenic

sigridur

Lairian
I keep reading that the sphynx isn't really hypoallergenic and causes as much allergies as a normal cat because the allergies doesn't exactly come from the fur but from their skincells and saliva. But still, my boyfriend doesn't get allergies from our sphynx, only if he's been petting him and goes straight into his own eyes rubbing them or something he feels a little uncomfortable and also if the cat scratches him he gets a bit more red, and for longer than i do. But whit normal cats - he gets all red eyed and feels so uncomfortable it's crazy and he literally can't be around cats. But he barely notices it with ours, do you have any experiences like that? :)

CourtneyKaz

Lairian
yes i am allergic to cats i cant touch them however we have a furry one very short haired though i just dont pet or hold her other people in family do , with my sphynx no issues at all its like im not allergic to cats

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My husband is allergic to cats but his allergies with Zoa are far less severe than with furry cats - like @sigridur says, he only really has issues if he pets Zoa and rubs his eyes, so he washes his hands before he touches his face. It also seems to have improved a little with time. I sometimes break out in hives on my chest, neck and face if she has been vigorously nuzzling those areas.

Even though it is not technically the fur that causes the allergies, I think a lot of people find that their allergies with sphynx are much less severe because they don't have hair floating around everywhere and into your face covered in their allergens. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me that non-traveling allergens lead to less allergies :)

btfeick1973

Lairian
My husband is allergic to cats. His eyes will water and he starts sneezing.
We have Cornish Rex, Devon Rex and Sphynx and he has no reaction to them.
All he has to do is spend 10 minutes in my Mom's house (who has 4 domestics) and not even touch them and he wants to go outside.
So, they may not be able to 'claim' they are hypoallergenic, but we believe it.

lyndxe

Lairian
same for me. i have really bad allergies to DSH cats, but Sphynx are okay for me. if one of my boys spends an excessive amount of time headbutting and rubbing against my face, i will get a little itchy and my eyes will hurt a little, but nothing like with a regular cat (which i can't be in a room with for more than 5 minutes without sneezing and getting red eyes). my friend is also severely allergic to cats, and has no problem with his Sphynx.

rlewis899

Lairian
I have severe allergies when around cats, dogs, horses or really any animals with fur. I get itchy and sneezy and my eyes water, my head hurts and I end up having to take an allergy medication. My Sphynx girls can lay at my face or even lick my skin and I don't have any problems.

I am so thankful for this breed! :love::love:

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes I'm allergic to cats. Before getting my first sphynx 14 years ago I spent time in a breeders house with adult cats and kittens and was ok. As long as I don't touch them and touch my eyes I'm ok. Sometimes during the night I must stroke them and touch my eyes . Some antihistamine eye drops and a tablet soon sorts me out.
I was bitten by my kitten when she was a few months old with her little teeth either side of my thumb.she was very ill at the time and I was holding her still while the vet shoved a thermometer up her sore bum!!the 2 teeth holes Started going red and swelling immediately. I went to casualty and they kept me in with an antibiotic drip in one arm and the other raised till the morning when they could do an operation and open up my hand!!. 3 days in hospital and a month off work,!!! They don't stitch but leave it open. So yes I think I'm still allergic haha!!

sigridur

Lairian
We were so worried because we assumed my boyfriend wouldn't get any allergies than later on we started to google it and it said everywhere that it wasn't really different so we almost changed our mind on getting a Sphynx, but we decided to do it anyway, he would just get some medication for the allergies or something, but no allergies! :) So great because this breed is so amazing, so much character and he's so great haha :)

sigridur

Lairian
Yes I'm allergic to cats. Before getting my first sphynx 14 years ago I spent time in a breeders house with adult cats and kittens and was ok. As long as I don't touch them and touch my eyes I'm ok. Sometimes during the night I must stroke them and touch my eyes . Some antihistamine eye drops and a tablet soon sorts me out.
I was bitten by my kitten when she was a few months old with her little teeth either side of my thumb.she was very ill at the time and I was holding her still while the vet shoved a thermometer up her sore bum!!the 2 teeth holes Started going red and swelling immediately. I went to casualty and they kept me in with an antibiotic drip in one arm and the other raised till the morning when they could do an operation and open up my hand!!. 3 days in hospital and a month off work,!!! They don't stitch but leave it open. So yes I think I'm still allergic haha!!

hahah oh wow that's not good!

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sadly not the case in my house...my twins are allergic to cats and still suffer symptoms when they come home from university. I try to keep house as clean as possible and keep their rooms cat free with an air purifier to help but they still need to take allergy meds daily if home. It is the protein found in their saliva and urine that most are allergic to. Sphynx still groom themselves so saliva dries and can fall off to create allergies. But I'm so happy to hear others being able to enjoy sphynx breed without allergies.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have horrible allergies when it comes to cats. Can't be in a room with a male furry for more than 5 min before I brake out in hives and start wheezing, sneezing, and get itchy red eyes. Now female furry cats I can stand to be around a bit longer but if I touch my face after petting her and don't wash my hands its goes strait to hell just like the male furry kittes. Now my Sphynx I have some days my eyes will get a little itch... maybe sneeze once in a blue moon. If I feel that my allergies are getting sutured up I just go take some over the counter allergy pill and I'm fine. I had given up the dream of ever owning a cat because of my allergies.

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I got my first sphynx because a mom was buying for her daughter and when they came to visit him, she had a reaction. So they changed their minds, unfortunate for them but that is how I got my Apollo.

RandE

Lairian
Both my hubby and I are allergic to cats. He is more severe than I am and we tend to get used to the cats we live with (two domestic shorthairs, a siamese/ragdoll mix, and our sphynx). But We have had ZERO reactions to our sphynx since she came home. He even rubs her against his face and inhales deeply and still no reaction. Part of it could be the frequent bathing required with a sphynx plus the lack of fur to trap the dried saliva and skin cells.... dunno. But it's so wonderful for me to finally have a cat I can cuddle and sleep with without being miserable with allergies. I love my furred kitties just the same but I can't let them get too close to my face and I have to wash my hands after petting them. I don't have that problem with Jade.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it depends on the person. My hubby is deathly allergic to cats but does ok with the sphynx. When we went to visit @susi794 he did ok with pearly too. So it may even depend on the cat.

jerri

Lairian
Sad to say, I am very allergic to my two new Sphynx and don't know what to do. My symptoms include the itchy skin and rash along with respiratory issues. At the moment, I am contemplating what to do. They will be 5 months old in a week. :(( Any one looking for babies?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@jerri I am so sorry to hear you are having issues with allergies. We have a few members who have had success taking allergy meds. I think it is @Xandria who's hubby has issues and maybe @curlysue. Hard to remember. If you are truly looking to rehome the babies, you can post in the rescue rehome section here on The Lair. There are a few requirements about posting in that section, so be sure to check it out.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sad to say, I am very allergic to my two new Sphynx and don't know what to do. My symptoms include the itchy skin and rash along with respiratory issues. At the moment, I am contemplating what to do. They will be 5 months old in a week. :(( Any one looking for babies?
@carakris just posted yesterday I think she was wanting to rehome. She is in South Carolina I believe.
Maybe she will see this or you can start a conversation with her, to notify her. Best Wishes.

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If I was in a position to fly out to CA I would. I'm sorry you have to rehome your babies. I'm Allergic to my two but luckily it doesn't cause me too many issues.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@jerri, I am so sorry to hear. Truly. I do know the pain.

While it turned out that my Hubby isn't officially allergic, he does get the odd rash like bump on his skin due to skin sensitivities. He hasn't resorted to medication yet but our doctor said that if needed he could take Aerius as needed or even daily. Perhaps something like Aerius will help?

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Back