Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx and Ferrets

kdmotter

Lairian
Hi everyone! I have posted in a few threads that I found dealing with having both a sphynx and a ferret, but have not received any responses back, so I thought I'd try starting a new thread. Please delete this if it's not allowed!

Anyway, I have a five year old ferret who is 99% free roam (she only goes in her cage to sleep overnight). She has been around my parents' and brother's dog all of her life (3 miniature pinschers and a dachshund that we visit twice a month) and gets along well with all four. I don't expect her to have any issues with the kitten I am getting next week, however, she has never seen a cat in her life, let alone experienced one. So, I am looking for any experiences you have all had with kittens/cats and ferrets in general. I belong to several facebook ferret groups and most of the members there have said they've had nominal issues once they get to know each other and I plan on slow, deliberate introductions (I've slowly been keeping the ferret in her cage for slightly extended periods of time just so she's more used to it) and have a back up plan in place in the event that they never get along (they'll get separate rooms in the house), I'm just looking for any thoughts you all have with introducing different species.

Thank you all!

Kelly

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully someone will reply. You were smart to start a new thread in hopes of it being seen. I have no experience with ferrets. I am tagging @NinaGato as I think she had ferrets at one time.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kdmotter ,Hi Kelly, I don't have ferret experience but would defintely use a lot of the same tips in this intro link
Introducing a new adult sphynx cat or sphynx kitten into the home Or similar threads introducing dogs and cats .

I will try to recall members who have ferrets with sphynx

I would only do supervised visits and harness ferret for intros on their comfort level
I like your idea of separate room and going slow
Good job planning ahead and getting your ferret ready with her cage training
Small adjustments makes it so much less stressful for all

I get good results with training like a dog
I also like using a baby gate fully extended and zip tied to its fullest open position then turned sideways up in the bedroom doorway .I hold it in place in the doorway for meets n greets with praise treats and dual play on both sides .

I am sure other members will chime in :)

What is your ferrets name? Hope you can share a picture ! All babies here are lair family

Ps- I will have to live vicariously thru you - I always wanted a ferret but my other half years ago said no

Last edited:

kdmotter

Lairian
The ferret's name is Roxy. She's a blast!
20160516_201913.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kdmotter , cute alarm! Extra cuddles to Roxy from me!
Thank you for sharing ! What a sweetie ! I bet she is so much fun!
@NinaGato , any advice :)

Have you been able to chat on ferret forums who also own sphynx/ cats?

@AlexaEels, hope you can chime in to share experience with your ferret :)

Last edited:

kdmotter

Lairian
I found one person so far, but she doesn't let her two intermingle! I have spoken with people who have cats and ferrets and they've all seemed to have mostly positive experiences, I was just hoping for sphynx specific experiences. I think I'm really just over analyzing everything and being ridiculously paranoid (as we pet owners tend to do...); I just need to take a chill pill and let it happen as it will. The stress of pet parenting is overwhelming- I don't know how human parents handle it!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kdmotter , I never had kids - just the four legged babies

Hopefully members NinaGato amd AlexaEels can chime in with their experiences :)

Each has their own personalities and as long as you are prepared to do the sort of " crate and rotate " if necessary you will be fine

How old is your baby sphynx kitty on gotcha day in less than two weeks rI ght?
How exciting! Did you tell Roxy ? :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@kdmotter good thing you started a new thread. Roxy is very cute!
I don't have experience with ferrets so can't advice you. If you have spoken to people who let their ferrets and cats roam around together then I think you can try and she how it goes. Don't think it makes a big difference that's a sphynx and not a hairy cat.

I understand your worries completly. We all have them and we all worry sick about the new things when a kitten arrives!

Natasja

Back