Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

sphynx are cleaner as they age?

zoes mom

Lairian
Im so happy , my cat is getting less dirty it seems as she ages! I thought she would always be so dirty. I guess as they get out of the baby stage they start to clean themselves? Anyone else notice this as well? My girl is about seven months now. I hope this continues anyway:Laugh:

Maggies mommy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
thats so funny that u bring this up ..maggie is 6 months & i told my bf that maggie doesnt get as dirty! thank goodness cause she would get filthy 2 days after a bath! :ThumbsUp:

Brooke

Banned
My girl Helen is 8 years old, and I gave her a bath the day I got her (in May) and she has not had (or needed) a bath since! So, maybe it's true!! :BigSmile:

My 3 year olds all still require baths every 1.5-2 weeks, though...

Elisabet

Lairian
On most of Decibels baby-pictures it looks like I never bathe her. But she was dirty the day after and her skin dried out if I washed her to often.
Thank god she has grown out of it. It made me look like a bad owner. :Laugh:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes!!! I agree, when I first got Mo he was always dirty everyday! The bath would be orange with dirt everyday! But now (Mo is now 1year 3months) he only needs a bath once a week sometimes less. He does clean himself more and he doesn't seem to sweat as much. His ears don't get as dirty either!

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have noticed that Oba , nuba and cleo seem to be able to go a week to two weeks between baths. But not Harley. He is getting better since he was neutered, but mostly he has to have one at least once sometimes more a week . but then again he is only 8 months.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet is 9 years old and she only needs a bath once every 2-3 weeks. Maybe sphynx cats are like people as far as the oiliness of their skin goes as they age: younger kids and teens have oiler skin, but as people get older their skin gets drier and less supple. Our sphynx probably go through the same thing.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, I 've definitely noticed this with Sophie. She is much cleaner now than when she was a little younger. She's almost 6 months now.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Maizie stays pretty clean but Jack walks around like pigpen on the Charlie Brown cartoon! He looks like he was hanging out in an alley and someone rolled him for his shopping cart, by the day after his bath. I can only hope he will get cleaner since he is onlt 8mths and HATES baths.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It's funny this thread was recently created because I thought the same thing the other day about Stella. We're going on two weeks, and only now is she starting to get the stains under her pits.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lol this post is funny because Scrotie was a real dirt ball when he was little. Now he only seems to get dirty on his neck where he is pink :ThumbsUp:...I used to think the same thing about looking like a bad mother and would wipe him up before pictures:LOL:

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I haven't had my girl for long but It has only been a week since I had bathed her and she was so dirty that it left stains on my bed sheets!!! She is almost 7! I don't want to bathe her too much because I don't want to make her more oily than she already is. I used dawn dish soap today because of recommendations from owners on this site. I also plan on getting some coconut oil this weekend. Maye that will keep her clean longer. Any other suggestions on how to keep her stains under control?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have to say it appears true with Mug-Y, he's 8 and since we got him last August he hasn't been bathed and only requires the occasional baby wipe around his neck.

X

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't had my girl for long but It has only been a week since I had bathed her and she was so dirty that it left stains on my bed sheets!!! She is almost 7! I don't want to bathe her too much because I don't want to make her more oily than she already is. I used dawn dish soap today because of recommendations from owners on this site. I also plan on getting some coconut oil this weekend. Maye that will keep her clean longer. Any other suggestions on how to keep her stains under control?

Pajamas! I put nofuratu in some PJ's (either a tank or a newborn baby sleeper) for a few hours in the evening while we cuddle in front of the tv.......I pull it off before he goes to bed and if its a white one it is usually brown under the pits and around the neck and I just toss in the laundry........helps rub it off before he stains the sheets.

doriansmomma

Lairian
Dorian is almost a year old & I swear he gets dirtier now then he ever has! All of his clothes have permanent stains, I scrub & scrub to no avail!

Cracker however seems to be a bit cleaner, however, since he is white, well pink, it takes less for him to look filthy!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie gets ring around the color. I soak her clothes in hot water for 30 mins and hand scrub them, Its a pain but I haven't had any issues with stains not coming out. I am however having issues with fuzz balls on her sweaters. I need one of those sweater shavers. lol

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Snuffie gets ring around the color. I soak her clothes in hot water for 30 mins and hand scrub them, Its a pain but I haven't had any issues with stains not coming out. I am however having issues with fuzz balls on her sweaters. I need one of those sweater shavers. lol

Those sweater shavers are handy! I use my little shaver on Piglet's sweaters all the time; it makes the sweaters look nicer and keeps them lasting longer. You can pick one up at any store that sells home goods (I think I got mine at Target).

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Those sweater shavers are handy! I use my little shaver on Piglet's sweaters all the time; it makes the sweaters look nicer and keeps them lasting longer. You can pick one up at any store that sells home goods (I think I got mine at Target).

Thanks, I just need to make it a point to look for one when I'm out. I used to have one but with my recent move I'm not exactly sure where it went and everytime I go to the store I tend to forget to look for one. I'll just have to add it to my list so I don't forget. Thanks!! :LOL::ThumbsUp:

Back