Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Tamsin

Lairian
Our Sphynx boy gets some pretty epic feline acne, we do our best to keep on top of it considering tictac likes to be a grubby boy! We noticed a lump on his chin that started off like a blind zit and got larger, we took him to the vets and with a course of antibiotics it almost disappeared. It has come back with avengance and is now quite inflamed. Tictac has now had an antibiotics shot. My question is though has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Any ideas on treatment before we head down the surgical route :( thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 393

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I don't know, from the area it is and the way it looks.
Does it come to a head and pus come out?
A warm cloth, placed on it until, it get's cold several times a day
If it's a boil, plus, what the Vet recommends.
What did the Vet say it was?

Tamsin

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I don't know, from the area it is and the way it looks.
Does it come to a head and pus come out?
A warm cloth, placed on it until, it get's cold several times a day
If it's a boil, plus, what the Vet recommends.
What did the Vet say it was?
Thank you! Glad to be here.
The vets have actually been quite vague about what they think it is! They seem to think it's some Kind of cyst, it's definitely not a Tumor or anything super scary because it shrunk right down after the first lot of meds. It doesn't seem to come to a head yet but is definitely closer to the surface than before.
We will give the hot compress a go to see if it comes to a head!
Thank you x

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hot compress or of you have a clairsonic face cleaning brush save your old heads for the cats. It's the only way I can keep Udo free of blackheads on his tail. If your cats will let you scrub the cyst it mifht come to a head that can be drained.
Good luck!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Tamsin many, many, many years ago when I had furry cats, one of my cats, a red and white tabby had a white furry chin. He was always getting huge blackheads. I took him to the vet and that's when I learned about feline acne.

I was told to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to white his chin down. I was told to remove the blackheads by first using alcohol and after extraction, use alcohol again so it wouldn't get infected. My vet also told me to never use plastic food and water bowls as they keep bacteria and don't get as clean as glass, porcelain, stainless steel and ceramic bowls.

Sphynx cats as you know, don't have enough fuzz or fur to absorb the sphynx's oils and they do have a tendency to get blackheads which can turn into pimples.

To prevent future problems, you should wipe his face and chin down with a soft cloth at least once a day, twice a day is better. If you see any blackheads or little pimples, use the alcohol and if you extract them, make very sure you get everything out before you wipe with alcohol a second time.

I have some sphynx that are more prone to getting blackheads than others, but if you keep on top of things, you will hardly see them come back.

The photo you posted above is not an ordinary pimple. Honestly, from the photo, it doesn't look like there is a head on it where you can extract anything out at this point and since it's so big, you may have a difficult time getting everything out on your own. If that was on my sphynx, I most definitely would go to the vet. I wouldn't want a secondary infection to begin.

Please let us know what's going on with the "boil" and I wish you the best.

Tamsin

Lairian
@Tamsin many, many, many years ago when I had furry cats, one of my cats, a red and white tabby had a white furry chin. He was always getting huge blackheads. I took him to the vet and that's when I learned about feline acne.

I was told to use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to white his chin down. I was told to remove the blackheads by first using alcohol and after extraction, use alcohol again so it wouldn't get infected. My vet also told me to never use plastic food and water bowls as they keep bacteria and don't get as clean as glass, porcelain, stainless steel and ceramic bowls.

Sphynx cats as you know, don't have enough fuzz or fur to absorb the sphynx's oils and they do have a tendency to get blackheads which can turn into pimples.

To prevent future problems, you should wipe his face and chin down with a soft cloth at least once a day, twice a day is better. If you see any blackheads or little pimples, use the alcohol and if you extract them, make very sure you get everything out before you wipe with alcohol a second time.

I have some sphynx that are more prone to getting blackheads than others, but if you keep on top of things, you will hardly see them come back.

The photo you posted above is not an ordinary pimple. Honestly, from the photo, it doesn't look like there is a head on it where you can extract anything out at this point and since it's so big, you may have a difficult time getting everything out on your own. If that was on my sphynx, I most definitely would go to the vet. I wouldn't want a secondary infection to begin.

Please let us know what's going on with the "boil" and I wish you the best.
Thanks for all the info!
He has a follow up appointment for when he has finished this course of medication so will keep you all updated about how he gets on!
I've got some witchhazel and rubbing alcohol from the chemist today so hopefully we can keep on top of it!
I may purchase some new drinking bowls and food bowls just as a precaution too!
Again thanks for all the advice!
Xx

Tamsin

Lairian
Hot compress or of you have a clairsonic face cleaning brush save your old heads for the cats. It's the only way I can keep Udo free of blackheads on his tail. If your cats will let you scrub the cyst it mifht come to a head that can be drained.
Good luck!
Thanks for all the info! I've picked up some cleaning stuff for his skin today and will start using it straight away!
Will keep you updated :3 x

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thanks for all the info!
He has a follow up appointment for when he has finished this course of medication so will keep you all updated about how he gets on!
I've got some witchhazel and rubbing alcohol from the chemist today so hopefully we can keep on top of it!
I may purchase some new drinking bowls and food bowls just as a precaution too!
Again thanks for all the advice!
Xx

@Tamsin you are very welcome. When you see blackheads and pimples, definitely use the rubbing alcohol as well as when you extract them.

Please update us after his follow up appointment. Wishing you the best with him. I hope the medicine completely takes down the "boil". That's got to hurt so bad. :(

Tamsin

Lairian

@Tamsin you are very welcome. When you see blackheads and pimples, definitely use the rubbing alcohol as well as when you extract them.

Please update us after his follow up appointment. Wishing you the best with him. I hope the medicine completely takes down the "boil". That's got to hurt so bad. :(
I will do! Looking forward to getting it sorted myself :(
I know bless him he's just wanted to cuddle since it came back so emits not be feeling well :(
Although he's been a good boy and had all his cleaning/ compresses this evening without a grumble x

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 373

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Awww that poor little fellow. Hopefully you will get things under control fast. Positive vibes are sent.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Tamsin , sending healing vibes amd head smooches to adorable TicTac
Sounds like thr amtibiotics are kicking in - good sign he is acting himself

I forgot to ask , how old is TicTac and is he neutered?

I noticed my adopted male cat had chin acne and tail acne (tail stud)
That cleared up after being neutered

Keep us updated often

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
He's such a little nugget!
He truly believes he is a person haha. Wants to be involved in everything! Such a character!
X

@Tamsin yes, I too believe they have a bit of human in them. LOL TicTac involved in everything????? LOL That's an understatement. You will never be alone in your home again. Bathing, showing, toilet, bed, couch, cooking, eating...rearranging closets and drawers! LOL You will have a buddy always.

Tamsin

Lairian
Thankyo
@Tamsin , sending healing vibes amd head smooches to adorable TicTac
Sounds like thr amtibiotics are kicking in - good sign he is acting himself

I forgot to ask , how old is TicTac and is he neutered?

I noticed my adopted male cat had chin acne and tail acne (tail stud)
That cleared up after being neutered

Keep us updated often
thankyou! He's had all the head smooches!
He's 3 and he's nuetured but he's a rescue so we don't know what his care was like before we had him, he's pretty reluctant to bathe and have his claws cleaned still so we're not sure if they had a bathing routine with him!
The lump seems to be the same size today but the hot compresses seem to be bringing it closer to the surface! Or I'm convinced they are anyway haha.
Thanks for all the posi vibes x

Tamsin

Lairian
Haha yep that's Him!
He especially enjoys sitting in the sink when I need to use it!
X

@Tamsin yes, I too believe they have a bit of human in them. LOL TicTac involved in everything????? LOL That's an understatement. You will never be alone in your home again. Bathing, showing, toilet, bed, couch, cooking, eating...rearranging closets and drawers! LOL You will have a buddy always.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Give a bit of time before you bathe/clip. Just so he learns he can trust you and you can read his body language well. It is really important to bathe and clip going in with confidence as they feed off your energy. Here are 2 videos admin did that you might find helpful. Best tip I ever got was to buy exfoliating gloves...great for gripping and super for lightly scrubbing.
Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.
Bathing your Sphynx Cat and why.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Haha yep that's Him!
He especially enjoys sitting in the sink when I need to use it!
X

@Tamsin ooops, I meant "showering", not "showing" earlier in my post.

LOL I forgot to add one more thing to that list: When setting the table, expect TicTac to sit on your plate and/or napkin! LOL

Tamsin

Lairian
Thanks so much for the tips!
He's getting better as time goes on and doesn't try as hard to escape anymore haha.
I'll give those videos a watch. Very much appreciated xx
Give a bit of time before you bathe/clip. Just so he learns he can trust you and you can read his body language well. It is really important to bathe and clip going in with confidence as they feed off your energy. Here are 2 videos admin did that you might find helpful. Best tip I ever got was to buy exfoliating gloves...great for gripping and super for lightly scrubbing.
Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.
Bathing your Sphynx Cat and why.

Patti[/QUOTE

Tamsin

Lairian
Haha yep! He quite often sticks a paw onto my fork as well if he's feeling particularly bold
X

@Tamsin ooops, I meant "showering", not "showing" earlier in my post.

LOL I forgot to add one more thing to that list: When setting the table, expect TicTac to sit on your plate and/or napkin! LOL
[/QUOTE

Back