Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Lairian
So I was wondering if someone can provide me with more information on breeding. I own two Sphynx; the female is from Korea and the male is from Russia. They're both unaltered and shes had 4 litters so far. Shes averaging about 6 kittens a litter. But the thing is every single kitten is born with fur. I dont have any other male cats and shes never allowed outside so the kittens are definitely from my tom. She has never had a furless kitten and I just wanted to know your thoughts on why that might be the case. All the kittens have very coarse carpet like hair. Its nothing like a regular cats. They literally feel like a carpet. Anyways let me kn

Dan

Lairian
1390770373637.jpg

Dan

Lairian
I was told they were pure sphynx but not sure. I'll post a picture of a kitten also.

Dan

Lairian
Even if the parents are both outcrosses wouldn't at least one of the kittens have been furless from all the litters?

Dan

Lairian
He's at my parents house until I figure out whats going on and I dont have pics of him on my phone. Hes a bit darker than her and also bigger.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
He's at my parents house until I figure out whats going on and I dont have pics of him on my phone. Hes a bit darker than her and also bigger.
Is he as hairless as her?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome by the way. Strange and not likely from two hairless sphynx.

DSH + Sphynx F1 - The kittens will have fur because the hairless gene in the Sphynx is recessive. All will carry the hairless Sphynx gene.

F1 + Sphynx F2 - As far as statistics go-50% of kittens should have hair, 50% should be hairless. All haired kittens will carry the hairless gene.

Hairless F2 + Sphynx F3 - All kittens should be hairless. Most of these kittens should start to look like a typical Sphynx.

Hairless F3 + Sphynx F4 -These hairless kittens are considered purebred Sphynx by both associations and can be shown as such.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Very interesting post. I love to learn about the breed... looking forward to reading up.

patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
um, silly question, but are they both the same type of sphynx? Couldnt you get a funky result like this from breeding Canadian with Peterbal or Don?

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I apologize if this seems rude, but isn't it rather irresponsible to be breeding two cats whose genetic histories are unknown to you? To me personally it really doesn't seem the right way to go about things - especially if you are getting results that you can't explain.

SphynxAliens

Lairian
I don't want to start an argument but why are you breeding two cats that you don't seem to know the history of, and evidently don't have the pedigrees for? You can't just get two cats and breed them in hopes of money, you need to do it properly. You sound like you are perhaps not overly educated on breeding, therefore you shouldn't really be doing it until you understand further. For all you know your cats could have a genetic anomaly that could be harmful to kittens.

I really don't mean to lecture but there are too many irresponsible breeders out there that seem to think it is fine to just buy a male and a female and keep making them breed so you can sell kittens. This does not benefit the animals breed, which is the real reason people should breed animals - to improve the breeding stock and create healthier animals.

And why has she had four litters? if she even had one litter with one hairy kitten you should have stopped breeding her until you understood this.

ps. to people saying it could be a donXcanadian cross - crossing a don with a canadian does not create healthy kittens. Something happens with the hairless genes which in the long run creates weak kittens. Also the don hairless gene is dominant so regardless of health the litters wouldn't be 100% hairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back