Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx brother

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
Hello

Me and my girlfriend just brought home two beautiful sphynx kittens. Initially we just wanted to see them, we visited the seller and could just not leave there without, we didnt plan to have two - but when faced with the decision to which one to pick we decided it would be best to bring them both. It was a wise decision as we now realize later the seller gave these kittens up way too early - they where 6 weeks of age - the seller said we could bring them home if we wanted - one of the kittens, Riki or Rikimaru as he is named - was very scared when we saw him, he was shaking a lot, the seller had a kid in the house and I got a bad feeling these kittens where not treated very well.

Riki and Rumi, as the other brother is named has now been living with us for one week - next week at 8 weeks old they will recieve their vaccines.

We am trying to learn everything about these beautiful cats so we can provide them with a safe and loving enviroment. But I realize later that they should not be given away this early - honestly this feels more like a rescue that a purchase from a decent breeder. So now I realize we have a lot of responsibility to soscialize and teach these kittens prehaps some of the things their mother normally would do.

Riki and Rumi love to play together, but it seems Riki is a bit aggressive and plays too hard - what things can we do to teach them both to be a bit more gentle?

They also seem to bother eachother when one of them sleeps - the first couple of nights they where both sleeping with us in the bed - none of us could really get any sleep like this - so for the last couple of nights they have been sleeping in the bathroom - the floor has heating and we place comfy blankets on the floor - bring the litter box, food, water and some toys - they seem fine when we return in the morning, eager to greet us. We dont hear any Is this okey or should they be sleeping with us in the bed?

Next week they are getting their shots, we are not sure we want to chip them - as we dont want to create any trauma or unecessary pain. They will stay in door for the most part - when they get older we would like to prehaps take them on small hikes in the forest right by our house. We realize its smart to have a chip if they run away or get stolen - but those two seems very unlikely as they are very well protected here. Any input on this? Neutering also seems out of question - its too barbarric and we want them to have healthy hormones - have you neutered your sphynx, if so - why?

They have a lot of toys - and next week a big climbing mount is arriving.

Riki is purring a lot and have really started to bond. He seems so happy to be pet and touched. Rumi also purr some, but not as much as Riki.

Any advice, feedback or comment is welcomed.

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
Here are some pictures {=

The completly hairless one is Rumi, and the one with some fuzzy hair is Riki. It really do seem like the hair is growing - the seller said he would lose all the hair - but I really doubt it. Could it be Riki will keep the hair, we really don't mind it - we love them both, with or without hair.

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-03_11-13-14.jpg
    photo_2021-05-03_11-13-14.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 39

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxBrothers Happy Rumi and RIki gotcha they are darling!!! look forward to lots of pics and tales! jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch. you will see many pics of members babies with various hairlessness. my Toby has eartoughs and fuzzy feet, tail and a velour velvet feel, my others are bald. love them all. the personalities are truly amazing

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Rumi and Riki are so handsome. And cute! In the ogher thread I said something about playing and being the cat mom that has to learn them things;-). About neutering. My both boys are neutered because of health issues. @Catzzzmeow I can't seem to find the link to an article you posted about the health benefits of neutering. Do you have it?
If you do decide to neuter them you can let them chip at the same time.

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
Thank you for the warm welcome @Yoda mom and @Toa and Ross!

We really love Rumi and Riki, they are very beautiful beings. I had a special experience when visiting the mom of Rumi and Riki, when we where checking them out, the mother sat on a couch a couple meters away and she looked directly into my eyes - the most piercing look as if she was almost looking through me! I had to turn around but there was nothing behind me. It was a warm look almost like she was speaking to me. It was a very special experience as I've never met a being that looks at you like this. They seem very intelligent.

Riki is getting along very well, he is greeting us with small kitten noises and purrs when we touch him. Rumi however doesnt purr that easily, its easier to pet Riki as he has a lot of fuzzy hair. Rumi is completly naked and my petting has been prehaps a bit akward, but I am working on it. They are so fragile I was almost afraid to touch them with my big hands, but I am getting better at this. Rumi has been a bit aggressive when eating his food - almost attacking Riki. We gave them two bowls and I am working on touching Rumi very very gently when he eats so he can lighten up a bit - it seems to be working as he is now allowing me to touch him while eating - in the beginning it was a big no-no. I guess this is the part of mothering them. I feel so much responsibility!

Our home is a really great place for these cats - we have three big beams going over the living room - its a open roof thing, meaning instead of a second floor its just open space - so these guys will absolutely love it here! I've been watching some documentaries about cats and understand they love it in high places overlooking. I am a bit worried as well since the house really is a big playground - and I just don't hope Rumi or Riki falls and hurts themselfs. I am thinking about putting down some carpets on the beams so they will have a bit of extra grip - just in case. We also have a pretty steep staircase going up to the living room - they are running free in our living room now - but we are keeping an eye on them all the time - when they get near the staircase and a bit too curious I very lightly take them behind the neck and pull them a bit back - they seem to understand not to go near it. At what age would it be safe for them to go down the stair? They are so adventurous and curious little creatures - we might need to close the staircase if they get too curious.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Your story brought a big smile on my face, I can feel the love you hace for them. I have three nakeds. One purr when I only put my finger on him. The other one makes me work hard for one purr;-). If they get older you can try the "booty slap":). Lots of nakeds love getting slapped on their butt. I'm not kidding, you can look on youtube!
It's hard to tell if Riki will lose the furr. With some kittens the furr will stay and others will lose little.

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
Just an update to the life of Riki and Rumi. They are doing very well. Their playtime/active time is increasing each day! They also seem to be a bit more gentle with eachother in fighting, it really helped to split them/redirect them to toys when they got a bit hard.

They also just got their climbing setup and they really love it inside the cave-thing. Interesting observation, they seemed a bit confused thinking they where with their mother when they entered the cave - as they where "breastfeeeding" the carpet inside the house. But they sure love to sleep there.

I also have a lot of plans for the beams you can see in the living room, when they get older I will make some bridges - also thinking about putting some carpet down on the beam so they have more grip.

Riki is learning to climb the stairs! These little fellas are getting more and more brave each day. Im off to the vet now to give them their shots!

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 27

gojira14

Lairian
Just an update to the life of Riki and Rumi. They are doing very well. Their playtime/active time is increasing each day! They also seem to be a bit more gentle with eachother in fighting, it really helped to split them/redirect them to toys when they got a bit hard.

They also just got their climbing setup and they really love it inside the cave-thing. Interesting observation, they seemed a bit confused thinking they where with their mother when they entered the cave - as they where "breastfeeeding" the carpet inside the house. But they sure love to sleep there.

I also have a lot of plans for the beams you can see in the living room, when they get older I will make some bridges - also thinking about putting some carpet down on the beam so they have more grip.

Riki is learning to climb the stairs! These little fellas are getting more and more brave each day. Im off to the vet now to give them their shots!

Beautiful place you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
So we visited the vet today and they said Riki and Rumi where too young to get shots. I don't know why one of the vets we talked to on the phone told us otherwise - so much incompetence out there. But the vet we met there and talked to seemed to know alot and also treated Riki and Rumi very carefully and with love. Honestly I was very worried bringing Riki and Rumi to the vet, scared meeting a vet that wouldn't treat them careful and with love, they are so small and vulnerable. These guys have really activated some father-instincts in me because I have an enormous need to protect them, perhaps too much!

So we are going back in 4 weeks when they are 12 weeks old. Also we have to decide if we are to neuter them, in my eyes its a barbaric thing to do - so I guess we will think about it for a while. The vet said they also could smell a lot when they get older, if they are not neutered. I just want the best life for Riki and Rumi, with healthy hormone production. Any input here would be appreciated.

Rumi also had an eye infection so we got some antibiotics for his eye. They also got this worm-treatment thing. Otherwise the vet said they look very healthy, they weigh like 0.4 and 0.5 kg right now, god bless.

I visited a pet-shop nearby to buy some things, talked a bit with a guy there who seemed to know a lot and we where lucky enough to get a tip about a professor here in Norway that has some in depth youtube vidoes on cat behavior, language and so many things - been watching some of it today and it's really interesting to study. They have their own language, just like humans, its not just jibberish mjau, its an actual language! Very fascinating and I love learning more so I can talk with and understand Riki and Rumi better, I am really falling in love with these guys!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Very happy your vet is being cautious since the babies are so young. Vaccinations can be hard on them and being so little, better safe than sorry. Not to mention their immune systems are not fully developed and trying to fight an eye infection.This info will give you all the reasons to get them neutered. Knowing it increases their lifespan alone is reason to.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
What a proud dad you are, the boys are lucky to have you!
Can you learn us some mjau language? My crew hardly ever make a noise so I guess they don't want to talk with me;-)

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
Thank you everyone for input!

@tea and ross - perhaps you will find something similar to this video: - unfortunately there is no translation available - but you can see how 'pressure' on certain words means different things. Very interesting study!

They are insured already. I also went through all the houseplants to see if any of them are toxic and it seems a couple are, not lethal but toxic and can be a bit upsetting if they eat it. Need to find a solution to this - also read about monstera plant - which we have a couple of and it's the biggest one in the living room as well weighing a lot! Riki and Rumi will stay under supervision for now - will be hard if I have to get rid of the plants as I've taken care of some of them for 4-6 years now.

I am in full kitten-proofing-mode now, Riki and Rumi has discovered how to go down and up the stairs, but I think we need to close this off because Riki slid down there earlier today when trying to go up, it hurt me way more than him, Riki seems fine, no bruises, walking, playing normal - but I feel awful for letting this happen. I think more carpets is a good solution, so they have better grip.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@SphynxBrothers hugs n head smooches, keep us updated on Rumi's eye infection.
kudos to you to kitty proof and check/move plants. there are some posts where members have shared kitty proofing tips/hacks for staircases, etc. the top right search bar is a great tool for previous posts.

hugs n head smooches, following for updates. glad Riki is okay! these babies are cat,dog, monkey, baby all in one for life. watch dryers, washers, dryers, dishwasher etc before turning on, and also opening doors. I trained mine like a dog to a meet n greet spot. they are constantly ,lighting fast under foot.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@SphynxBrothers i have several Monsteras and luckily my cats leave them alone. Rankle, my sphynx, isn't interested in plants anyway but my Siamese is obsessed with them. He tends to go for the more frondy ones like the spider plants. You can buy trays of cat grass to grow for your kitties which they will prefer over everything else. I have several very toxic plants which are in a room that the cats don't go into without supervision so if you're worried maybe you could put your Monsteras where your boys can't get to them.

SphynxBrothers

Lairian
All done putting down some carpet on the staircase! Should have done it earlier but to be honest I am quite surprised by the incredible speed in which Riki and Rumi is growing, they are getting bigger, smarter, more adventurous - not to mention more mischievous! Each day they are noticeable changing.

Didn't expect them to grow up this fast, now they are roaming the whole house. An issue that has come up now, and I would love some input on this; they are confined to the bathroom during nights - but it seems to be a bit small for them. At what point would it be safe to let them roam during nights as well?

Their personalities are developing as well. Riki seems to be the most "social" of them, he loves getting touched and has no issue with being lifted up. Rumi, however is a bit moody - he doesnt always allow us lift him - he will clearly tell us what he doesn't like. But both Riki and Rumi always greets us with purr and love. They love sitting on the lap or close to the body, just hanging out.

Their fighting is a bit up and down. It really looked like they had started to get a bit more careful with eachother, however today I can see Riki has really bitten Rumi hard in the tail so he has a small wound! Not good. I realize they might not quite understand that the tail is not a toy - but it tells me perhaps they need more supervision - this has happened during the night.

Attachments

• before.JPG
    before.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 11
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG