Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Brown skin issues

IggySphynx

Lairian
I recently got a sphynx because the owners were looking to re home him. He is a great cat so far but I’ve never owned one before and don’t know what to do. I’ve had him for 3 weeks and bathed him once, I wipe him down everyday, but he is getting this crusty oil(?) on his face and chest. It’s just brown stuff that crusts, and I don’t want to srub it off or it might hurt. I’ve tried coconut oil but it doesn’t seem to help. Any products I can use or methods so I can get this stuff off? Should I be wiping him down twice a day?

I’ve added two pictures of him, he’s usually a pale pink on his chest and legs. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AC4C4893-B9B9-4FE1-8F2C-A6FC2B25B446.jpeg
    AC4C4893-B9B9-4FE1-8F2C-A6FC2B25B446.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 37
  • CDA8650B-05F7-4C2D-9F9C-6468859F1F0E.jpeg
    CDA8650B-05F7-4C2D-9F9C-6468859F1F0E.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 36

IggySphynx

Lairian
Thank you so much for the reply, my baby’s name is Iggy! I feed him Iams and use the same unsented litter his previous owners used, same with food. I’ve only bathed him once in the three weeks I’ve had him, so I feel like overbathing isn’t an issue. And I have some exfoliating gloves I used today but he started whining and I think I was scrubbing to hard! But the brown stuff wasn’t coming off.

Do you think my problem is I’m wiping him down daily and disrupting his natural skin cycle? I’ve left him alone all day today to see what happens but his face and neck have large patches of brown on it, and it’s only been a day! The weird thing is that it’s only his face/head, neck and chest. His body and toes are fine.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Not positive, But this can happen if they are not fully rinsed. I’ve seen it happen on the hard to rinse areas like neck, chest, belly, armpits etc. we humans sometimes skimp rinsing well because they can get squirmy. If you take a warm wash wash cloth and rub it, does it peel/ come right off? The coconut oil might be making it even worse.

IggySphynx

Lairian
Not positive, But this can happen if they are not fully rinsed. I’ve seen it happen on the hard to rinse areas like neck, chest, belly, armpits etc. we humans sometimes skimp rinsing well because they can get squirmy. If you take a warm wash wash cloth and rub it, does it peel/ come right off? The coconut oil might be making it even worse.
Thanks! I’m going to try another bath today so I can re rinse him. And no it doesn’t come right off, if it dries it kind of flakes and peels off though. I’ve read it could be yeast build up? I’ll skip the coconut oil from now on, is there any other products that are suppose to help clean them off and moisturizer the skin like coconut oil is suppose to?

Sheldon13

Staff member
Personally I prefer olive oil. It’s much more gentle and doesn’t clog pores the way coconut oil can.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back