Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Cat chin acne!

sarahandatari

Lairian
Hello everyone! I am new to this site, as I created an account to have some help with this on going problem with my female Sphynx, Atari!

she has pretty sever(?) acne. she has a ton of black heads on her chin, to the point where her skin underneath is turning blue from all the gunk!
I can't pop them out as it causes her pain and it's an awkward spot to apply pressure,
and I have noted that in a few past forums lots of people tend to say it has to do with their bowls, her bowl is a larger ceramic bowl, so no plastic is involved! I do bathe her weekly, and occasionally wipe down her face/neck area during the week when I see built up grease starting to form.

if anyone has any form of suggestions on how to get rid of them, or help minimize the amount, that would be wonderful!
I am able to leave photos of her chin if needed, I was able to sneak a picture while she was laying down today!

thank you!!

Arili O

Lairian
Hi :) I'm sure other people have a lot more in the way of helpful suggestions, but my two cents would be as follows:

When you wash your kitty, do you use exfoliating gloves or an exfoliating washcloth? Cats naturally like being rubbed or scratched along the chin and jaws so rubbing with that wouldn't hurt Atari and she might actually really like it. You could also use a little bit of (human) facial cleanser if you're sure you can rinse it all off, or try something like Neutrogena's acne cleanser pads. If she's comfortable with something like that, try doing it once or twice a day like you'd do with your own face.

Another thing I'd try is fish oil. The Omega 3 fatty acids can help clear up skin and you can just put it in her food.

If these things don't work, a trip to the vet for antibiotics or prescription cleaners could be in order. I hope you figure it out!

sarahandatari

Lairian
Hi :) I'm sure other people have a lot more in the way of helpful suggestions, but my two cents would be as follows:

When you wash your kitty, do you use exfoliating gloves or an exfoliating washcloth? Cats naturally like being rubbed or scratched along the chin and jaws so rubbing with that wouldn't hurt Atari and she might actually really like it. You could also use a little bit of (human) facial cleanser if you're sure you can rinse it all off, or try something like Neutrogena's acne cleanser pads. If she's comfortable with something like that, try doing it once or twice a day like you'd do with your own face.

Another thing I'd try is fish oil. The Omega 3 fatty acids can help clear up skin and you can just put it in her food.

If these things don't work, a trip to the vet for antibiotics or prescription cleaners could be in order. I hope you figure it out!
Hello:happy: thank you for your response! When bathing her I do use an exfoliating wash cloth with gentle baby shampoo. I try to get her neck area and her armpits really well since they seem to produce extra Sphynx grease! lol.
I have never tried any of human acne agents, as I get so worried about it being toxic, or dangerous to her in any form. I would be willing to use my facial soap on her tomorrow, as it is very gentle with very few, organic/vegan ingredients, which I'm sure wouldn't harm her.
I just get nervous about applying anything topical as well. I have read on the Lair that pure witch hazel helps lots, but I'm worried if I could get it in her mouth and that could be toxic, etc. She is a wiggle worm, and she doesn't like to stay still for anything. so it might be a little bit hard applying anything. Not sure though!

I have yet to try fish oil/Omega 3 in her foods. I haven't gone to the pet store and specifically looked for that, but do they sell it there? What would I be looking for? Do I just try and hide it inside her foods and such? if you have any more information on the Omega 3 supplements, I'd love to know.

thank you so so much!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone! I am new to this site, as I created an account to have some help with this on going problem with my female Sphynx, Atari!

she has pretty sever(?) acne. she has a ton of black heads on her chin, to the point where her skin underneath is turning blue from all the gunk!
I can't pop them out as it causes her pain and it's an awkward spot to apply pressure,
and I have noted that in a few past forums lots of people tend to say it has to do with their bowls, her bowl is a larger ceramic bowl, so no plastic is involved! I do bathe her weekly, and occasionally wipe down her face/neck area during the week when I see built up grease starting to form.

if anyone has any form of suggestions on how to get rid of them, or help minimize the amount, that would be wonderful!
I am able to leave photos of her chin if needed, I was able to sneak a picture while she was laying down today!

thank you!!
Here are a few more suggestions in this post that may help- Blackheads?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@sarahandatari I have a ton of experience with feline acne, both on the sphynx breed as well as on furry cats.

It began over 20 years ago when my red and white tabby (with a white chin) had an odd colored thingy on his chin which was noticeable through the white fur. I was very alarmed and thought maybe it was a tick or a skin growth, it was big. I took him to my vet immediately.

There, the vet assured me that it was simply feline acne and back then he said to only use, glass, ceramic and stainless steel bowls for feeding and water. He said it would be perfectly fine to squeeze, just along I used alcohol before and after so no further infection would occur. Regardless of squeezing or not, he wanted me to use alcohol on a cotton ball 1 to 2 times a day at first, and then once a week if it seemed that my tabby was prone to getting feline acne. But once I removed the tremendous blackhead, changed all feeding and watering bowls to non-plastic, did the alcohol, he was pretty much fine in the future except for just an occasional blackhead which I then knew how to deal with it.

Fast forward to the present: I now have a handful of sphynx kitties. All have different amount of oils on their faces and some get an occasional little blackhead, others never ever get a single blackhead while others get huge multiple blackheads like once a month or so.

My first advice, of course, is about the plastic bowls. I know now from your post, that you do not use plastic bowls. Neither do I, but as you already read, some of my naked babies still have tendencies to get feline acne.

Next is I'd advise you to not use shampoo and to try a baby wash since they don't have enough fur or fuzz for a shampoo. When I used shampoos on them at the beginning, I found it way more difficult to remove during rinsing in the bath compared to a baby wash. I certainly noticed a slight film left on their skin using a shampoo, which in turn caused them to be extra icky the day after their baths compared to using a baby bath.

This film that I'm referring to was just like a magnet for their natural oils and sweat that accumulated more so on their chins, necks, chest and armpits.

I have always used alcohol (as per my vet from so many years ago) on feline acne. Using a cotton ball and always squeeze out any dripping alcohol from the cotton ball before applying. Wipe down chin and really get "in there" where you see the acne. Like I mentioned before, I do squeeze them out ... making sure with a second squeeze that I got it all otherwise a cyst can form. Taking alcohol again, I "get in there". If the hole left by a huge blackhead is visible, I will take a bit of alcohol on a Q-Tip and just get in there with a bit of a twisting motion to guarantee no pussy infection will form.

Of course, it hurts. It hurts us if a blackhead was removed a lot of times, and it hurts them as well. But I am as quick as can be. By the time they feel the hurt, I am all finished.

If you don't want to squeeze them (or try right now), just do the alcohol 2X a day right now. Sometimes I blow on the site if I feel the alcohol burns them. It takes away the ouch immediately. Just like when your mom used peroxide on a cut when you were young and she blew on it to take the ouch away quickly.

So baby bath, exfoliating gloves once a week, alcohol cotton balls, squeeze if you can, no plastic bowls...and all will be under control. Then you'll just have to check the chin once a week or so.

sarahandatari

Lairian
@sarahandatari I have a ton of experience with feline acne, both on the sphynx breed as well as on furry cats.

It began over 20 years ago when my red and white tabby (with a white chin) had an odd colored thingy on his chin which was noticeable through the white fur. I was very alarmed and thought maybe it was a tick or a skin growth, it was big. I took him to my vet immediately.

There, the vet assured me that it was simply feline acne and back then he said to only use, glass, ceramic and stainless steel bowls for feeding and water. He said it would be perfectly fine to squeeze, just along I used alcohol before and after so no further infection would occur. Regardless of squeezing or not, he wanted me to use alcohol on a cotton ball 1 to 2 times a day at first, and then once a week if it seemed that my tabby was prone to getting feline acne. But once I removed the tremendous blackhead, changed all feeding and watering bowls to non-plastic, did the alcohol, he was pretty much fine in the future except for just an occasional blackhead which I then knew how to deal with it.

Fast forward to the present: I now have a handful of sphynx kitties. All have different amount of oils on their faces and some get an occasional little blackhead, others never ever get a single blackhead while others get huge multiple blackheads like once a month or so.

My first advice, of course, is about the plastic bowls. I know now from your post, that you do not use plastic bowls. Neither do I, but as you already read, some of my naked babies still have tendencies to get feline acne.

Next is I'd advise you to not use shampoo and to try a baby wash since they don't have enough fur or fuzz for a shampoo. When I used shampoos on them at the beginning, I found it way more difficult to remove during rinsing in the bath compared to a baby wash. I certainly noticed a slight film left on their skin using a shampoo, which in turn caused them to be extra icky the day after their baths compared to using a baby bath.

This film that I'm referring to was just like a magnet for their natural oils and sweat that accumulated more so on their chins, necks, chest and armpits.

I have always used alcohol (as per my vet from so many years ago) on feline acne. Using a cotton ball and always squeeze out any dripping alcohol from the cotton ball before applying. Wipe down chin and really get "in there" where you see the acne. Like I mentioned before, I do squeeze them out ... making sure with a second squeeze that I got it all otherwise a cyst can form. Taking alcohol again, I "get in there". If the hole left by a huge blackhead is visible, I will take a bit of alcohol on a Q-Tip and just get in there with a bit of a twisting motion to guarantee no pussy infection will form.

Of course, it hurts. It hurts us if a blackhead was removed a lot of times, and it hurts them as well. But I am as quick as can be. By the time they feel the hurt, I am all finished.

If you don't want to squeeze them (or try right now), just do the alcohol 2X a day right now. Sometimes I blow on the site if I feel the alcohol burns them. It takes away the ouch immediately. Just like when your mom used peroxide on a cut when you were young and she blew on it to take the ouch away quickly.

So baby bath, exfoliating gloves once a week, alcohol cotton balls, squeeze if you can, no plastic bowls...and all will be under control. Then you'll just have to check the chin once a week or so.
Ah thank you for your information! I will start applying alcohol on her chin 1-2 times a day, and hope all goes well!

one more question again, do I just use regular rubbing alcohol for her? and are there any ways that you know to keep them calmed down and not squirm as much? her black heads are very large, and very deep so it takes me multiple, light squeezes. I will leave a photo here to show her acne under her chin

p.s. I promise I'm not pulling on her or anything! I am just lifting up her wrinkles as she is laying down so I can get a full photo of her acne.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 487

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ah thank you for your information! I will start applying alcohol on her chin 1-2 times a day, and hope all goes well!

one more question again, do I just use regular rubbing alcohol for her? and are there any ways that you know to keep them calmed down and not squirm as much? her black heads are very large, and very deep so it takes me multiple, light squeezes. I will leave a photo here to show her acne under her chin

p.s. I promise I'm not pulling on her or anything! I am just lifting up her wrinkles as she is laying down so I can get a full photo of her acne.

@sarahandatari you are welcome. Yes, regular rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball...just squeeze out excess so it won't drip all over. Just along you are calm and confident she will be less agitated. Animals feed off of our moods and emotions, etc., so whether or not you are nervous, don't show it.
My nakeds are used to me washing their faces and cleaning their eyes twice a day. So they just sit on the counter top and let me do whatever. When I have to squeeze a blackhead, they will backup so I position them in such a way that when they back up, they can't fall off the counter because my arm is there blocking them. The other arm...my free arm/hand is the one with the cotton ball, etc.

To squeeze a blackhead, my other arm is blocking them from backing up and falling off the counter...as I bring my wrist and hand around their head/face to use two hands to squeeze. I am very quick and make sure I squeeze everything all out as to avoid a cyst later on.

You can also use a bath towel and wrap her up like a burrito or like you would sort of swaddle a human baby.

From your photo, she has many blackheads, but I don't see many very huge ones. The ones closest to the lips are usually caused by food remaining there. When I wipe down my nakeds' faces twice a day, I usually try to take a look by the lips and near the corners of the mouth and wipe away any food or just blackish looking dirt before they form into huge blackheads. And by no means did I think that you were hurting her in order to take that photo.

Just be calm and be confident as you are the "boss" there and grooming, etc. needs to get done whether they like it or not. Believe me, at some point whether I'm giving them a pedicure or squeezing blackheads, they'll complain verbally, but I just calmly let them know that it's got to get done and Mommy will be quick. Talking softly helps and lots of kisses in between too. :) Yelling will only make matters worse. I tell them that as long as they be still and cooperate, Mommy will be finished 1, 2, 3!

I hope you can visualize my descriptions. If not, you can ask me anything over and over again and I'll try my best to help you. No question is a silly question here.

sarahandatari

Lairian

@sarahandatari you are welcome. Yes, regular rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball...just squeeze out excess so it won't drip all over. Just along you are calm and confident she will be less agitated. Animals feed off of our moods and emotions, etc., so whether or not you are nervous, don't show it.
My nakeds are used to me washing their faces and cleaning their eyes twice a day. So they just sit on the counter top and let me do whatever. When I have to squeeze a blackhead, they will backup so I position them in such a way that when they back up, they can't fall off the counter because my arm is there blocking them. The other arm...my free arm/hand is the one with the cotton ball, etc.

To squeeze a blackhead, my other arm is blocking them from backing up and falling off the counter...as I bring my wrist and hand around their head/face to use two hands to squeeze. I am very quick and make sure I squeeze everything all out as to avoid a cyst later on.

You can also use a bath towel and wrap her up like a burrito or like you would sort of swaddle a human baby.

From your photo, she has many blackheads, but I don't see many very huge ones. The ones closest to the lips are usually caused by food remaining there. When I wipe down my nakeds' faces twice a day, I usually try to take a look by the lips and near the corners of the mouth and wipe away any food or just blackish looking dirt before they form into huge blackheads. And by no means did I think that you were hurting her in order to take that photo.

Just be calm and be confident as you are the "boss" there and grooming, etc. needs to get done whether they like it or not. Believe me, at some point whether I'm giving them a pedicure or squeezing blackheads, they'll complain verbally, but I just calmly let them know that it's got to get done and Mommy will be quick. Talking softly helps and lots of kisses in between too. :) Yelling will only make matters worse. I tell them that as long as they be still and cooperate, Mommy will be finished 1, 2, 3!

I hope you can visualize my descriptions. If not, you can ask me anything over and over again and I'll try my best to help you. No question is a silly question here.
You are my life saver. thank you so so so much, I can not explain my gratitude! I have had this problem with her ever since I got her as a kitten, and I'm amazed how much puss can come out of my tiny cat!

Thank you so much. I will try all of these starting today. Thankfully, today is bath day. So I'll try out the rubbing alcohol and start to wipe off her chin once or twice a day. thank you so much!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You are my life saver. thank you so so so much, I can not explain my gratitude! I have had this problem with her ever since I got her as a kitten, and I'm amazed how much puss can come out of my tiny cat!

Thank you so much. I will try all of these starting today. Thankfully, today is bath day. So I'll try out the rubbing alcohol and start to wipe off her chin once or twice a day. thank you so much!

@sarahandatari, you are very welcome. Please come back and update the progress as we all love to know how things are coming along here.

Arili O

Lairian
Hello:happy: thank you for your response! When bathing her I do use an exfoliating wash cloth with gentle baby shampoo. I try to get her neck area and her armpits really well since they seem to produce extra Sphynx grease! lol.
I have never tried any of human acne agents, as I get so worried about it being toxic, or dangerous to her in any form. I would be willing to use my facial soap on her tomorrow, as it is very gentle with very few, organic/vegan ingredients, which I'm sure wouldn't harm her.
I just get nervous about applying anything topical as well. I have read on the Lair that pure witch hazel helps lots, but I'm worried if I could get it in her mouth and that could be toxic, etc. She is a wiggle worm, and she doesn't like to stay still for anything. so it might be a little bit hard applying anything. Not sure though!

I have yet to try fish oil/Omega 3 in her foods. I haven't gone to the pet store and specifically looked for that, but do they sell it there? What would I be looking for? Do I just try and hide it inside her foods and such? if you have any more information on the Omega 3 supplements, I'd love to know.

thank you so so much!!

I haven't checked the pet store, but if you go to Amazon and search "liquid fish oil" it looks like a lot of options come up. Here's one: You might check a health food store if you want to pick it up locally. I wouldn't worry about using too much because they'll just digest what their bodies can use.

Maybe witch hazel will work for your baby. A quick Googling shows that it's not toxic to cats. It seems that some people use their facial cleansers on their cats with no ill effects, but if you're cautious witch hazel is a good start. Please keep us updated!

sarahandatari

Lairian
I haven't checked the pet store, but if you go to Amazon and search "liquid fish oil" it looks like a lot of options come up. Here's one: You might check a health food store if you want to pick it up locally. I wouldn't worry about using too much because they'll just digest what their bodies can use.

Maybe witch hazel will work for your baby. A quick Googling shows that it's not toxic to cats. It seems that some people use their facial cleansers on their cats with no ill effects, but if you're cautious witch hazel is a good start. Please keep us updated!
Thank you! I will go out and look tomorrow, since everything is closed today. Thank you! I might try witch hazel on her tail, as those blackheads are very stubborn to get out. thank you everyone for the suggestions :happy:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@sarahandatari , great advice given -
I have used my Dickinsons brand witch hazel on a flat round cosmetic pad on chins

I now use Vetericyn VF formula ( non toxic ) on any skin stuff- it's sold various places in line -

Keep us updated!
Looking forward to your journey and pics with us !

Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there and welcome.

I find purritoing (swaddling) my nakeds the easiest, and then cradling them in my legs so they're on their backs, heads up by my tummy, the easiest.

I use plush cotton reusable rounds (make up removers). The first one I dunk in very warm water and then wipe under the chin and neck. The heat helps open up the pores and feels good. The second I soak in heated witchhazel, squeeze out a bit, and then rub over the chin and neck. If they have any blackheads, at this point I squeeze them gently. And I give a final wipe with a third round soaked in very warm water.

I think I'll try the alcohol for Min as she has a couple blackheads that have been trying to keep removed.

Great advice in this thread, and good luck @sarahandatari . Cheers

sarahandatari

Lairian
Hi there and welcome.

I find purritoing (swaddling) my nakeds the easiest, and then cradling them in my legs so they're on their backs, heads up by my tummy, the easiest.

I use plush cotton reusable rounds (make up removers). The first one I dunk in very warm water and then wipe under the chin and neck. The heat helps open up the pores and feels good. The second I soak in heated witchhazel, squeeze out a bit, and then rub over the chin and neck. If they have any blackheads, at this point I squeeze them gently. And I give a final wipe with a third round soaked in very warm water.

I think I'll try the alcohol for Min as she has a couple blackheads that have been trying to keep removed.

Great advice in this thread, and good luck @sarahandatari . Cheers
thank you! and what a great idea! I'll have to try that out.