Sphynx cat personality

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Madoff, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Madoff

MadoffLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $299.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have still not found a cat yet but still looking.

I want to know, would you classify your sphynx (in all honesty) as a smart cat? I know that almost every cat I've come across in my life I would say is smart, but some are smarter then others.

Also, there personality, do they meow a lot ? At night do they pretend theyre hunting and run around the house?and how are they with you, like do they sleep with you, come and sleep on your bed and always stay beside/around you? i know some cats like to keep to themselves more..
    I just want to learn more before buying. thanks

2. Melonie

MelonieSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $370.00
    Ratings:
    +195
    I think there was just a report somewhere that listed them as the smartest breed of cat.

Some meow more then others mine are pretty quiet most of the time.

They are velcro kitties and no matter where I am in the house I have 3 kitty shadows. They would love to sleep in the bed but I can't stand how hot it gets with them on my face.

Even though all 3 are free to run around at night I do not hear them if they do, and I am a light sleeper.

Get one you won't regret it.

3. ckutkuhn7

ckutkuhn7Banned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $43.00
    Ratings:
    +2,877
    I want to know, would you classify your sphynx (in all honesty) as a smart cat?
    Very much so. I've had some smart cats in my life but Snuffie is the smartest by far. I taught her how to fetch in about 20 minutes. I've only ever had one other cat that would fetch and he was a DSH and it was always only on his terms.

Also, there personality, do they meow a lot ? Depends on the personality of your kitty. Snuffie usually only meows when she is hungry or wants something or if she is saying HELLO when we get home. Other than that she is usually pretty quite.

At night do they pretend theyre hunting and run around the house? This will vary depending upon your kitty. There are kitties on here that stay up all hours of the night and their are kitties who sleep the entire night.

and how are they with you? Snuffie is around me 24/7 and Im the type of person I wouldnt want it any other way. When I go to the bathroom she follows me, when I cook dinner she sits in the kitchen with me, she sits with me in my recliner and watches TV or snuggles and falls asleep on me. She goes to bed when I go to bed and she will bring her "flicky" (her toy we play fetch with, aka hairtie) and we play for a half hour then its lights out and bedtime. She also wakes me up bright and early every morning wanting fed and Im currently working her out of this routine but its all trial and error. Snuffie is also very friendly and will visit with anyone who comes into our house whether they like it or not. She licks mens hair and grooms them, she sits on my shoulder when I'm sewing or doing dishes. If you want what I call a contact cat then the Sphynx is for you, they require alot of attention.

4. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,464.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    Butterball is extremely smart. He is extremely playful. He is extremely social with everyone including dogs with the exception of small children. If you ignore Butterball, Butterball ignores you. Butterball does meow quite a bit when he wants to play but it's not for very long and it's not overly audible.

Butterball's poo smells extremely bad. Butterball gets extremely dirty.

5. xxx_phoenix_xxx

xxx_phoenix_xxxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $38.00
    Ratings:
    +306
    :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: ha ha ha lol well atleast you were honest :LOL:

6. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,141.16
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    It was in cat fancy I read it at the vet yesterday they had them as most interactive and quick learners. Very smart indeed.:Wink:

7. marlene

marleneV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $51.00
    Ratings:
    +1,867
    I've had only 2 sphynx in my life (so far). As far as intelligence goes you be the judge. My sphynx know how to:

Heel on command on a leash.
    How to sit nicely in a cart if we go in a store.
    How to open the toddler-latches on my cupboard doors so they can go inside and lay down whenever they want (particularly useful when they want to sleep on a stack of nice clean towels).
    How to open up every drawer in the house - even after I velcro'd them shut. Works great for getting at locked up kitty toys.
    How to turn the stereo on and off at will. Note: this trick will freak out kitty sitters if you go on vacation.
    How to not touch my keyboard or mouse.
    How to lift the lid on the toilet.
    How to play fetch.
    How to wake me up if there's a fire.
    How to wake me up if there isn't a fire.
    How to turn on the stove. Which started the fire.

Pedda usually meows only when she's saying hello, wants something, or thinks something is wrong (like she sees a dog in the yard). She's pretty quiet otherwise.

I work night shift and Pedda always sleeps with me until I get up. She bothers me only if something is wrong (see the bit about a fire). But when Ren was alive he knew that I got up at 2:30 pm for work and if I didn't get up by 3 he'd turn into an alarm clock. But he never bothered me until he thought I was oversleeping. So we're on the same schedule.

How are they with me? Extremely devoted and very people oriented. They want to be with me virtually every moment that I'm awake. I say that sphynx are cats that you get only if you want a very intense relationship with your pet. They insist on being involved in every thing you do. Sphynx aren't a good choice if you want a kitty to pet and play with when it's convenient for you, you have to be willing to make a bigger commitment to them.

Pedda is sitting in my lap right now, purring and licking my arm. When I get up she'll be walking right in front of me. When I go to the bathroom she'll be sitting between my feet. When I get a shower she sits on the edge and watches. Then she moves up on the vanity while I dry off. That's a typical morning with a sphynx, I think.

And if you piss a sphynx off they have no problem letting you know about it! In fact they think you deserve to know about it. Luckily they don't carry grudges for long though.

• Like Like x 6
    • Candys

CandysV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $1,092.28
      Ratings:
      +1,265
      Turn on the stove - OMG. Anyway your hit the nail on the head - VERY INTENSE RELATIONSHIP & DEVOTED. This is a committment not to be taken lightly.

• Like Like x 1
      • nabeccab

nabeccabLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
        $77.00
        Ratings:
        +5
        Smart? Yes and no. She knows how to get what she wants and does what we want on her own terms. She is probably smarter than I think but she can be very stubborn.

Meow? Fif meows quite a bit, but then again I also frequently "talk back" to her. At first I thought she wanted something but then I realized she is just a talker.

Night? Sleeps with us 90% of the time. The other 10% I am not sure. I only hear her getting into things once in awhile and usually when the normal routine has been upset (other people in the house type of deal).

How is she with me? She holds true to the part cat, part dog, part monkey, part small child. She purrs and loves like a cat, follows me around and plays like a dog, climbs like monkey, and wants attention like a small child.

Overall, she is the greatest. My husband and I are in love with her and frequently describe her as the most loving, sweetest little thing.

• Like Like x 3
        • wundrlust

wundrlustLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
          $586.70
          Ratings:
          +161
          I do believe my Nudies (especially Butt aka Dale) are incredibly intelligent. I've had dogs, cats and ferrets through out my life. The Sphynx breed is outstanding! I think they are the best of a dog cat and ferret.

I love and adore them infinitely! They bring great joy and love into my life. Watching them "Sumo Slap" one another is a riot. I really have to video tape them for the Sphynx Lair readers to enjoy. We laugh ourselves silly when they start!

Butt talks more then Mooshie does. They both will meow when looking for one another, while watching the birds or just have something to say. I love when they do the "cha cha cha" thing with their mouths.

There are no written words that can describe how wonderful our Nudies are. They have to be experienced to truly understand these amazing little loves.

• Like Like x 2
          • MissMySphynxBoys

MissMySphynxBoysGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $502.00
            Ratings:
            +2,259
            Great name for it. My husband and I called it "Whap Whap Whap".

• heidi74

heidi74Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $403.00
            Ratings:
            +146
            wow i never knew they could be so smart. i heard loving and devoted. but smart. even another reason to love them

• Boonecat

BoonecatGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $4,069.18
            Ratings:
            +2,299
            • Scary sphynx
            Of all the cats I've had in the past 42 years, I'd have to say that my Sphynx, Boone is the smartest. He does sleep with me every night, & he is the most affectionate cat that I've ever had. They're just an incredible breed.:ThumbsUp:

• flying sphynx

flying sphynxSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
            $408.00
            Ratings:
            +140
            My Athena is my youngest and I must say she is a pretty smart kitty IMO. When she get cold she knows how to turn on the little electric heater with her butt , she also likes to take a ride on it it turns in half circles!!!!!!:LOL::LOL:

• PrimateLove

PrimateLoveGold Lairian Notable Member

Sphynx Bucks:
            $38,653.16
            Ratings:
            +5,569
            • Monkey
            • Scary sphynx
            • Black Sphynx
            • Black Cat
            Emma is extremely smart and knows how to get what she wants. She does not meow, but occasionally chirps or squeaks if she wants down.

She is a very loving kitty, but especially to my husband. If I lay down on my husband’s chest to watch a movie, it takes Emma one minute to realize I am giving him attention and she pushes her way in between us. It was cute a first, but it gets annoying at times when we want to relax.