Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx cat suckling constantly.. On people and himself!!

Ashdm

Lairian
Does anyone else's sphynx suckle? Boo has been doing it since we got him 4 weeks ago. He is only just over 4 months so I guess it's not unnatural for a kitten to still have this behavior. But I figure he would notice he is not getting any milk and stop!! Boo continues to suckle on any skin he can find, it's like he is doing it for comfort. He suckles on literally any skin he can get, so if he is sitting on you, he will suckle your hand, your fingers, your knuckles. If you move your hand he will just do it to your arm, elbow, whatever he can get. He does it to your face too. He sleeps in our bed and wakes us constantly by clinging to some part of our body sucking away!! It's actually painful!! He is starting to leave little tiny bruises as he has some set of jaws now and very sharp teeth. We are trying to discourage it but I am not sure how. We don't want to remove him from the bedroom as it's the warmest and it's where the other cats sleep too. We have been removing him from our bed and into his own heated den when he does it but he then just suckles on himself, his own paws or his hip loudly for ages and when he's done he hops back into bed and does it again lol! We have ragdoll cats that also had this behavior but they stopped it very soon after coming home. Do you think he will grow out of this anytime soon??

Here's a photo of him doing it to my other half when he's sleeping. He still doesn't know I let Boo do this for ages and he woke up with a sore lip and didn't know why... Payback for not doing the dishes!!
image.jpg

PrimateLove

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
BWHAHAHA...that is classic that you snagged a pic of the suckling while he slept...:D

We got Emma Leigh as an adult so we have not had any suckling issues. We will be getting our new baby next week so I might learn real quick on it :D

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
how cute !!
we got our boy when he was 9 weeks old and yes he suckled lots on us !! He is not doing it anymore so they do grow somewhat out of it. He now comes and lays on us and puts just his lips on us and purrs away . No suckling. He only does it when he is really tired too.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Does anyone else's sphynx suckle? Boo has been doing it since we got him 4 weeks ago. He is only just over 4 months so I guess it's not unnatural for a kitten to still have this behavior. But I figure he would notice he is not getting any milk and stop!! Boo continues to suckle on any skin he can find, it's like he is doing it for comfort. He suckles on literally any skin he can get, so if he is sitting on you, he will suckle your hand, your fingers, your knuckles. If you move your hand he will just do it to your arm, elbow, whatever he can get. He does it to your face too. He sleeps in our bed and wakes us constantly by clinging to some part of our body sucking away!! It's actually painful!! He is starting to leave little tiny bruises as he has some set of jaws now and very sharp teeth. We are trying to discourage it but I am not sure how. We don't want to remove him from the bedroom as it's the warmest and it's where the other cats sleep too. We have been removing him from our bed and into his own heated den when he does it but he then just suckles on himself, his own paws or his hip loudly for ages and when he's done he hops back into bed and does it again lol! We have ragdoll cats that also had this behavior but they stopped it very soon after coming home. Do you think he will grow out of this anytime soon??

Here's a photo of him doing it to my other half when he's sleeping. He still doesn't know I let Boo do this for ages and he woke up with a sore lip and didn't know why... Payback for not doing the dishes!!View attachment 16814

Hi and welcome. :)
I had to laugh about payback for not doing the dishes. LOL

I have three sphynx boys and my first one (Liam) sucked on his blanket until he was about six months old. My second one (Grayson) sucked on his big brother Liam until Liam just about had enough of that and then Grayson sucked on my right hand or arm and he still does! Grayson turned a year old in early July. Then we got Simon in Februray and he too sucked on both his brothers until they both had enough of him and then Simon turned to me and sucks on my left arm every night and every a.m. Oh, I forgot, Grayson also will suck on my face (mouth area).
I do not mind at all, I never stop them. Simon actually used to hurt me as he sucked really hard, but then he began sucking less hard and would fall asleep shortly after beginning with this routine. LOL

My vet once had an 18 year old cat that sucked since it was a kitten! So I don't know what to tell you. Like I said, Liam stopped at six months of age, but he used his blanket, not people.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as this doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ahahahaa omg you left him there to get a sore lip, you SO must be a heavy sleeper!! I am sure I would notice if something was latched onto my face XD!!!!! That is too funny. I know it might be a bit unconventional, but have you tried a small babies dummy/pacifier?? It has a similar texture and does not hurt anyone!!

1sphynxlover

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yes, my new kitten is doing it. Last night I woke up to her sucking my side. Pinky & Yoda didn't do it. She will suck your face, elbow anywhere she finds skin. I hate to discipline her since I've only had her 2 days. She really goes to town on the blanket, Primatelove sent.

Ashdm

Lairian
Hi and welcome. :)
I had to laugh about payback for not doing the dishes. LOL

I have three sphynx boys and my first one (Liam) sucked on his blanket until he was about six months old. My second one (Grayson) sucked on his big brother Liam until Liam just about had enough of that and then Grayson sucked on my right hand or arm and he still does! Grayson turned a year old in early July. Then we got Simon in Februray and he too sucked on both his brothers until they both had enough of him and then Simon turned to me and sucks on my left arm every night and every a.m. Oh, I forgot, Grayson also will suck on my face (mouth area).
I do not mind at all, I never stop them. Simon actually used to hurt me as he sucked really hard, but then he began sucking less hard and would fall asleep shortly after beginning with this routine. LOL

My vet once had an 18 year old cat that sucked since it was a kitten! So I don't know what to tell you. Like I said, Liam stopped at six months of age, but he used his blanket, not people.

Sorry I can't be more helpful as this doesn't bother me one bit. Good luck.

You're response was really helpful! We didn't actually mind him doing it at all before. It's just now, it's like you said, it started getting painful. He's actually leaving little hickey like bruises when he does it!!! See it wakes me up cause I'm a light sleeper so I stop him as soon as he starts. My other half would sleep through a bomb, so he wakes up with little hickeys all over his neck/face which is boo's favorite place to suck!! God knows what people are saying about me at his work!!! I don't know what's worse, telling them it's me or his cat!! Lol!
We're really hoping he grows out of it, but if he doesn't it's ok, just as long as he doesn't do it so hard!!
If he's like yours, I don't think we can tolerate another years worth of night time kisses!!

assibassi

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
LOL I am sorry i laughed but we had little hickeys.... i just said my Husband is acting like a a school kid ! haha
Maybe when he sucks hard pull him away. I know usually they go right back, thats how ours was... lol he didnt take NO for an answer. I kept pulling my shirt higher haha . Maybe give him your arm then. Rather the arm then face ?

Ashdm

Lairian
LOL I am sorry i laughed but we had little hickeys.... i just said my Husband is acting like a a school kid ! haha
Maybe when he sucks hard pull him away. I know usually they go right back, thats how ours was... lol he didnt take NO for an answer. I kept pulling my shirt higher haha . Maybe give him your arm then. Rather the arm then face ?

The shirt thing!! That's exactly what iv been doing!! Several night this week iv slept with my pj shirt over my head like I'm hiding from the boogeyman or something!!! I'm lying in bed with Boo now and I'm just pushing him away like a yo-yo. They just come right back like Velcro!!! It's like his life depends on suckling! I'm not gonna lie though...several nights this week, I have just picked him up and latched him onto my other half!!! Terrible...maybe.. But I need my sleep!! And he'll never know!!

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You're response was really helpful! We didn't actually mind him doing it at all before. It's just now, it's like you said, it started getting painful. He's actually leaving little hickey like bruises when he does it!!! See it wakes me up cause I'm a light sleeper so I stop him as soon as he starts. My other half would sleep through a bomb, so he wakes up with little hickeys all over his neck/face which is boo's favorite place to suck!! God knows what people are saying about me at his work!!! I don't know what's worse, telling them it's me or his cat!! Lol!
We're really hoping he grows out of it, but if he doesn't it's ok, just as long as he doesn't do it so hard!!
If he's like yours, I don't think we can tolerate another years worth of night time kisses!!

LOL, sorry for laughing, but you've got a wonderful sense of humor which I could use a dose of that right now. :) Thanks for the giggles tonight. :)

I wish you the best of luck and yes, I can just imagine what everyone is saying about you at his work or even your neighbors. Hehe! :)

Oh by the way, I forgot to mention two things earlier:
1) I have had a few of those spots on my lips from my suckers here. LOL
2) My daughter's furry cat that her and her husband found outside of their house in June (and nobody has ever claimed this cat)...loves to suck on my daughter's clothing while she is wearing it. This cat makes her clothing soaking wet to the point where my daughter has to change her outfit sometimes.

JunoMan

Lairian
My 4.5 month old boy is a sucker! We have had him a little over a month now and he seems to be settling down a little. When he first came home he would suck on me or himself constantly. The last couple of weeks he only seems to be sucking himself just before going to sleep of a night time. He has stopped sucking me altogether. Hopefully your little guy will settle down soon. Good luck and know that you are not alone, haha.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
bb3.jpg

LMAO, you are so funny! Smart girl tho to set him on the other half!
My two sucked like crazy vampires! Imagine 2 of the little buggers coming at you like that all the time. I did make a blanket with little kitten nipples on it, hoping they would suck on that, didnt work. I had hickeys too. They grew out of sucking on me. My female sucks her arm still to go to sleep. I know what you mean about coming at you like their life depends on it! They are persistant and non redirectable when they wanna suck. Here is a pic of the blanket I made them with the nipples sticking out of it.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The shirt thing!! That's exactly what iv been doing!! Several night this week iv slept with my pj shirt over my head like I'm hiding from the boogeyman or something!!! I'm lying in bed with Boo now and I'm just pushing him away like a yo-yo. They just come right back like Velcro!!! It's like his life depends on suckling! I'm not gonna lie though...several nights this week, I have just picked him up and latched him onto my other half!!! Terrible...maybe.. But I need my sleep!! And he'll never know!!

Lmao! I did the shirt thing too! Both of mine did it. Phiona does it to herself now but only on rare occasions. Samara on the other hand nurses on her belly constantly! But at least they leave my skin alone! I went without sleep for about the first month or so we had them. I just kept pushing them off me and telling them no. They eventually get the hint. I still haven't been able to get Samara to stop sucking on her own belly however.

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am no expert in all this as we have only had our little guy for 6 weeks now, but he was a huge suckling fiend when we brought him home at 12 weeks old. He kept us up with suckling our neck, arm, and like you said he seemed on a mission and would not give up. Now the behaviour as lessened, we simply give him a few minutes doing it, pat him and try to wake him up. It is not as frequent. He still likes to snuggle into our necks with his little wet nose and makes a few sucky noises but he doesn't get as bent on actually attaching on. If he starts in the morning I take him downstairs and feed him and he stops. I think he was hungry and just went in to instinct mode. I hated to reprimand him but if really tired would simply put him out of the bed several times until he just wanted to go to sleep and be warm with us. I have no idea how your partner can sleep through it!!! Hope it ges better for you too!

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Here's a photo of him doing it to my other half when he's sleeping. He still doesn't know I let Boo do this for ages and he woke up with a sore lip and didn't know why... Payback for not doing the dishes!!View attachment 16814
LOL GREAT pic haha he should have done the dishes...;). Dont worry the suckling will stop both of mine Sphynx did it and he is still so young give it a few weeks he will stop. You can also try to tire him out playing with him a :)lot before bed. My male did it to us then a month later we got our female and he suckled on her and she on him then they just stopped altogether in a few weeks.

Xtina

Masteryoda

Lairian
Yes, I have a year old seal point sphynx girl that does similar. She just turned one in Aug. If ur sleeping she gets under the covers and will lick and lick u ur face arms whatever until u wake up! Then u pet her and she licks more. Sometimes she will also suckle on u which is slobbery and she pinches u with her paws (her previous owner had her declawed). It will start to hurt if allowed to continue, but she doesnt do this too often. She is a very quirky and strange cat. She is very loving, but we try to direct her licking to herself which she does pretty much constantly when she's being loved on. We realize its not something she will grow out of!

EmilyMayer

Lairian
LOL Payback for not doing the dishes. LOVE it.

Both my Sphynx cats suckle. Ebe does it when she is happy, Sheldon does it right before he falls asleep. Ebe is 1 and she still does it... So I'm not sure if he will grow out of it!

dmiller662

Banned
LOL... glad to hear I wasn't the only one.. Yes my oldest did it when he was young.. He used to suck on my earlobe all the time.. Wake me up in the middle of the night.. And oh good lord the day he found my nipple in the middle of the night (Im a guy, sleep with no shirt), well that was the day I had a stern talk with him, bout pulled the damn thing off I think, lol.. Serious, I woke up a bit mad, but what was I gonna really say to him, lol.. All I could do is say NO NO, and sleep on my stomach for a few more months. And of course we had those day where he laid there on his back hunched over to his belly and sucking away at his own belly or tittie, and slober all over himself it seems.. But he did out grow it eventually.. if you can get past the hickies on your back, ear, face, etc.. you will both be fine, lol.. but this thread did bring back some memories, He is 9 yrs. old now and on a RARE occastion will grab hold of the earlobe for a second or two, but nothing more, and seems to have no interest. Maybe memories for him too.. LOL..

SimplySammy

Lairian
Literally read this as Beerus is sucking on my hand. Im glad it's common for sphynxes apparently, i was starting to worry. Hahahaha

Attachments

• 1622767089824412356595059380889.jpg
    1622767089824412356595059380889.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 76
Back