Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx cat won't stop yelling, help?

Hairlesshux

Lairian
So I have a 2 year old male sphynx and he wakes me up every morning / middle of the night yelling and begging for food. We have him on primal 6 nuggets a day. 2 for 3 meals a day. He has hcm so raw is the healthiest way to go but am I feeding him enough? Also is there a cheaper nice brand of raw that's not primal? Was thinking of getting another kitten so he wouldn't be lonely when I'm at work but would that help the yelling? Or is the yelling because of the food?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
6oz a day is not much, what weight is he?

Sphynx seem to have a higher metabolism than furry cats so I like to add some to the recommended amount.

I feed my cat 8oz-9oz and he maintains his weight of 10lbs nicely. When he was on a diet we fed 7oz.

I would try increasing amount, and try a meal at night. We do 8am - 5pm - 11pm and have no issues with being woken up.

Regarding cheaper, nicer raw: have you ever thought of making your own? Check out "Better in The Raw" supplement which you can mix with water and ground meat. Works out way cheaper than premade raw for us.

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Definitely consider diet, but if you can accommodate another feline in your life, cats are better in pairs. That won't solve EVERYTHING, though. Smidget is very bossy, and there are nights/mornings when she attempts to re-establish the pecking order. It never works, but I'll give her credit for trying.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If his yelling cause his hungry another won't stop the yelling feed him more and see if that helps all that screaming can't be good for his condition as it means his stressing so add another feed in. Another cat will provide companionship and comfort :) so is still a good idea

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So I have a 2 year old male sphynx and he wakes me up every morning / middle of the night yelling and begging for food. We have him on primal 6 nuggets a day. 2 for 3 meals a day. He has hcm so raw is the healthiest way to go but am I feeding him enough? Also is there a cheaper nice brand of raw that's not primal? Was thinking of getting another kitten so he wouldn't be lonely when I'm at work but would that help the yelling? Or is the yelling because of the food?
Great advice thus far, remember that cats are nocturnal, some playtime to wear him out later in the evening may help, here is a similar thread with some ideas - http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/help-night-time-howling-meowing.11521/#post-151037 and http://sphynxlair.com/community/threads/my-sphynx-is-bananas.13921/#post-175541

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Hairlesshux , welcome to you and Huxtable! Great name!
Looking forward to your posts and pics!

Great advice given
My girl likes fetch too and each night we play fetch on her pillow next to me- makes her very sleepy!

Fwiw, my adoptee is coming out of his shell and talking -
He wakes up a night out of the and head butts me purring very loud-
I do not reinforce him with food -he is not going to starve to death between 3 am and 5 am :)
He settles back done and goes to sleep under the covers after running across the bed a few times :)

Let us know if you try the better in the raw or their ustew product
I have heard great things about it -

PS: I like having more than 1 sphynxie (4 adoptees)
It is entertaining :) and very busy

Batman still talks at night :)
He weighs 11.04 lbs and is not hungry- :)

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've tried the Primal brand a couple times and I've noticed mine are always hungry. I need to feed more on that brand than others. There's something about it that my girls don't like that much either. They don't go nuts for it like they do for others. Stella n Chewys freeze dried is the favorite but with two other frozen raw brands discontinuing their cat versions Stella n Chewys can't keep up with production is sold out in most stores and on line. I'm considering going back to Better in the Raw. Commercial has become harder to find not easier.

I'm currently using Primal since I can't find the Stella n Chewys. My girls are petite at 7 lbs and they eat 3 nuggets per meal, two meals a day.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Calicocious ugh I am having a nightmare with this too! Can't find Stella & Chewy's anywhere. Used to get it on amazon but the price is hiked now. All my local stores are sold out.

What I have noticed with it too is that each batch is different. Sometimes I get hard nuggets that don't absorb water well and other times it comes as mush. Huh.

We are looking for something else.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Calicocious ugh I am having a nightmare with this too! Can't find Stella & Chewy's anywhere. Used to get it on amazon but the price is hiked now. All my local stores are sold out.

What I have noticed with it too is that each batch is different. Sometimes I get hard nuggets that don't absorb water well and other times it comes as mush. Huh.

I've noticed that too. Each bag seems to be different. Mine prefer it mashed up anyway so in the end it didn't matter but I felt measuring it out was iffy sometimes. One bag was all nuggets but the next was mostly smashed pieces. The Primal freeze dried is just too much more per bag.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

So this is what's going on! Thanks for the info. (Ugh...)

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would try to feed him a bit more and see if that helps. My little guy used to roam around meowing loudly often, but since we've added a new naked to the house, his meowing has decreased significantly. Good luck, it's hard!

Back