Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Cats and Baseboard Heating

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi,
I am in the process of hopefully getting a sphynx. I am curious if the cats will try and get close to the baseboard heaters and if they do how would I stop them from getting burned/hurt? The metal outside of mine get quite warm to the touch and they are very hot if you touch the open part where the heating element is. I don't know if it is hot enough to burn them, but the inside is uncomfortably hot. The gap is probably an inch or so wide and is open on the bottom as well, exposing the heating element. No idea if this is a problem, just want to make sure.
Thank you :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I am in the process of hopefully getting a sphynx. I am curious if the cats will try and get close to the baseboard heaters and if they do how would I stop them from getting burned/hurt? The metal outside of mine get quite warm to the touch and they are very hot if you touch the open part where the heating element is. I don't know if it is hot enough to burn them, but the inside is uncomfortably hot. The gap is probably an inch or so wide and is open on the bottom as well, exposing the heating element. No idea if this is a problem, just want to make sure.
Thank you :)
Welcome @Maddie! I wouldn't worry too much, they are pretty smart little creatures and will figure it out as a child would, they learn whats hot and what not to get into for the most part. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Maddie Not sure if you have standard baseboards like this, but there are childproof covers you can buy for most styles. Be sure to read as most cannot be used on electric baseboards though. But I agree with @admin they are smart. Some times too smart...lol. I have childproof locks on my closets as well as the stove/oven knobs.
baseboards - Google Search

Patti

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have the same kind of baseboard heaters and Pete has never really shown and interest in messing with them!
He does try to attempt a "cat walk" on the top of the baseboard near his cat tower but he has never pawed under neath
where the element is. And I think depending on if you have carpet or laminate flooring the gap between the flooring and
baseboard heater might be too small even for a paw to fit.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Maddie you're going to be such a great mommy with doing all this research! I don't have experience with baseboard heaters but others already gave good advice.

Natasja

Trisha

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have radiators in my apartment and when they are on, the are HOT. I was pretty worried for a while, but they loved the heat and always wanted to be near them. I have beds on top of them that they love to cook themselves in. They are very, very smart. They will reach out and feel if there is any heat before stepping on the radiator. If there is, they will just go to the window sill or jump straight out to the floor. They've never once burned themselves and I have 3. Wish I could say the same for myself!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there and welcome. It's so exciting to be researching for a Sphynx!

I like to think that Sphynx are smart enough to not allow themselves to be burned but that can happen easily enough if they fall asleep and don't wake up when feeling too hot.

I have baseboard heaters and have not encountered issues with my Sphynx burning themselves on them. However, I do have a fireplace with a glass front and every so often Max shifts as he's sleeping on the bed in front of it and rests a body part against the glass. So he has had a couple little very mild burns, but nothing major.

Definitely err on the side of caution but also know Sphynx are pretty smart!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just wanted to update :)
The heaters aren't an issue. Thanks for all your help!
IMG_0887.JPG

Caloci

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Mine both try to sit on my baseboards. My baseboards are filthy with sphynx dirt, I have to wipe them a couple times a week. My boys have never burned themselves to my knowledge.