Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx clothing - How tight can it be?

Tale Grude

Lairian
Hi!

I have yet another question, haha :p I was wondering, how tight should/can their clothing be? Kisa is so small that I don't think I'll be ordering any kitten clothing for her, cause she will be growing so quickly. But I want to fit a wollen sock to her, but I'm scared it'l get to tight or to loose.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It should be snug enough that their legs are not falling out the holes. It should be loose enough that you can get it on and off them easily, and you can slide your hand under the shirt on their body.

I used a sock that has a lot of stretch to it when we made their baby shirts. Something like this texture, a chenille knit with lots of elastic in it.
670px-Create-a-Homemade-Swiffer-Using-Chenille-Socks-Step-3.jpg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi!

I have yet another question, haha :p I was wondering, how tight should/can their clothing be? Kisa is so small that I don't think I'll be ordering any kitten clothing for her, cause she will be growing so quickly. But I want to fit a wollen sock to her, but I'm scared it'l get to tight or to loose.
You can always go nude! We do not and have never put clothes on our sphynx. They seem to find their way to warm throw blankets or linen closets under a few towels or you may also find the old "lump in the bed" in our bedroom where they somehow get under the blankets without disturbing a thing. :rolleyes:

Luckless Poppy

Lairian
It should be snug enough that their legs are not falling out the holes. It should be loose enough that you can get it on and off them easily, and you can slide your hand under the shirt on their body.

I used a sock that has a lot of stretch to it when we made their baby shirts. Something like this texture, a chenille knit with lots of elastic in it.View attachment 46014
That's a good idea :) I did that for a puppy once. I recently bought my kitten some puppy shirts. He does find his was to his warm bed BUT I noticed after I've taken off his shirt twice, he tries to go behind the fridge :/
As for tightness, I'm thinking (kind of like a baby) as long as it fits nicely and doesn't leave marks it should be ok. I got a little bigger sweater for him today and it got kitty litter on it so I say go for the smallest comfortable fit :)

Tale Grude

Lairian
You can always go nude! We do not and have never put clothes on our sphynx. They seem to find their way to warm throw blankets or linen closets under a few towels or you may also find the old "lump in the bed" in our bedroom where they somehow get under the blankets without disturbing a thing. :rolleyes:
The idea is that she will be nude most of the time. But when I bring her to the vet or for walks outside, she needs clothing to keep warm. I live in Norway after all. Hehe :p

Kyla L

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Nigel wears clothes that are somewhat snug on his belly so that he can walk without getting his back feet caught in the shirt.

Most sphynx shirts are very long and made for the sphynx belly pooch. Nigel does not have a belly pooch at all and I'm going to say that he probably never will as active as he is. So I put darts down the side of his shirts that I buy so they are not loose loose. I can fit a finger under them and he can move without being restricted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397403476.289304.jpg

In this one it is pretty loose around his shoulders for movement, but tighter on his belly. He wears them with no issues and can take this shirt off on his own if he gets hot.

I would just make sure your kitten is comfortable and can move.

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Each Sphynx is different just like us. I have 4 Sphynx and each one has a different body type. I did buy cheap fleece sweaters from Wal~Mart when they were kittens because they did grow so fast. Socks work very well too.I have actually gone and bought a sewing machine and have made there clothes so they can fit well. We have Violet who I adopted last year and she was a "fluffy" girl but now has lost about so 0-3mo old shirts fit her best (I just sew the neck whole a little smaller).

My 4 have sweaters on in the winter to ensure they stay warm.

Back