Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

AllyzCatz

Lairian
What kind of Sphynx kitty do I have?

Attachments

• IMG_3385.jpeg
    IMG_3385.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3344.jpeg
    IMG_3344.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3348.jpeg
    IMG_3348.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 28

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I googled this for you :

Tortoiseshell cats aren't a specific breed.
The pattern combines two colors — and never white — and is typically described as ginger-red and black. The “red” patches can sometimes be cream, orange, yellow, or gold, and the “black” can sometimes be gray, chocolate, or tabby.

Being as he has white that would not make him a tortie I guess. I do this your baby will continue to darken up over time which is fun to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AllyzCatz

Lairian
I googled this for you :

Tortoiseshell cats aren't a specific breed.
The pattern combines two colors — and never white — and is typically described as ginger-red and black. The “red” patches can sometimes be cream, orange, yellow, or gold, and the “black” can sometimes be gray, chocolate, or tabby.

Being as he has white that would not make him a tortie I guess. I do this your baby will continue to darken up over time which is fun to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you very very much

frste26

Lairian
I think she'd qualify as a Tortie no? Not an expert in anyway barely know what colors she'd even be

I know nothing because all her papers from the breeder and vet just say "naked" lol. But from what I have googled I guess tortie is the closest. She was called the "ugliest of the litter"... she has as many spots as I do on my arms so she fits in perfectly ❤️

Attachments

• 20230525_232159.jpg
    20230525_232159.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230531_153935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_153935_Gallery.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20230531_154048_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230531_154048_Gallery.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 21

houseofminks

Lairian
Your information is correct, which is great, there are actual breeders out there that couldn't even tell you that
I am by no means an expert on anything but I do find genetics very interesting and have done a ton of research on sphynx colors and patterns. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people can ask their color questions and we can try to figure out the answers as a group. Hopefully I’ve put it in the right section. I’ll start us off by posting some of the basic questions that come up a lot and we can add to it.

What is the difference between Point and Mink?

Both are called “thermal” because they are born pale and their color develops on the cooler parts of their bodies as they grow.

Pointed cats have blue eyes. They have a tendency to have more contrast between body and extremity colors than Mink cats. The Point gene in Sphynx is the same as in Siamese.

This is a Seal Point with White
View attachment 19962
Same Seal Point as a kitten -
View attachment 19966

Mink cats have aqua eyes. They have a tendency to have less contrast aka more similar body and extremity colors than Pointed cats. The Mink genes in Sphynx are the same as in Tonkinese (which is one Burmese [amber eye] gene and one Siamese [blue eye] gene present at the same time)

This is a Seal (aka Natural) Mink with White
View attachment 19963 View attachment 19965

Is my cat blue?

Blue cats are basically black cats with an extra gene that makes them dilute. Their nose leather and paw pads will be steely blue, not black. Telling them apart can take some practice since most black sphynx don’t really look dark black, they look more gray. Blue cats usually have mint green eyes unless they are Blue Point or Blue Mink.

I don’t have a solid so here is a Blue Cream (which is the dilute version of a black and orange Tortie) she is a darker example of a Blue Cream.
View attachment 19968
Your information is correct which is great, there are breeders out there that couldn't tell you this basic info. I will add to and correct a couple things. First the point, mink. and sepia restriction mutations are I guess you could call it thermal, but they are actually a form of albinism, based on temperature. The womb being very warm kittens are born much lighter like you mentioned, point kittens totally white. They of course darken with age points being further away from the heart darker then body. While they don't reach full color until about 2, they are able to change in color/ contrast there entire lives, a cat living in a colder climate will always be darker then one living in a hot climate. Also the photo you provided of the bicolored seal/natural mink is actually a bicolored seal or chocolate lynx point, those eyes are far too blue and the body color is much too light to be a Mink. The nose, whisker pad, white trace around the eyes, and "thumb printed ears' show that the cat is a tabby aka "lynx' point and not a solid coated cat. Finally and the last thing the blue cat, it may be a blue cream I possibly see some cream molting - or it could be the lighting, is actually a blue mink or blue cream torti mink, the eye color is just about the perfect aqua color, mink eye color can range from aqua to greenish/gold, sepia from green gold/ to gold/orange. Coat color does have an affect on eye color however a minty green will almost always be linked to a Mink or sepia. Pedigree cats eye color can range from green, hazel, lemon yellow, amber, orange , copper and will be a very bold vibrant shade not a minty green. Non pedigree cat eye color can range in the same colors but will be much less bold. Not saying a blue coated cat cant have a minty green eye color, its just not a thing that they all or mostly all blue cat eye colors are minty green. I hope this helps, I am not trying to call you out or anything, coat color and pattern are mis identified so often, especially with the sphynx's. hell I breed sphynx's ( and tonkinese in the past) and I have been searching for weeks trying to figure out my future queen's color two of them littermates. The sad part about it is my first stud came from the same sire, I thought he was a chocolate bicolor mink, now I'm thinking he is either a diluted bicolor cinnamon( fawn) mink or a lilac based caramel mink, lol this current litter does have a chocolate. and previously had chocolate and lilac. The mom i thought a chocolate torti lynx point , but cinnamon is recessive so if they are cinnamon then both parent have to be as well or both carry for it or either or but that means the entire litter would have to be fawn cinnamon either of those in torti form or red/cream it isnt though lol Ahhhhh I feel like dad has to be lilac based caramel, and mom a blue torti lynx point she def is not a seal torti, she is a hybrid with fur blue is easier to determine on a hairless lilacs are too, then it would be possible to have chocolates/lilac/blue red/cream torti in all those color then add dominant dilute modifier to blue lilac or cream for a caramel blue, lilac or apricot. To top it off all have white spotting they are either mink or pointed and then either solid or tabby.... ya it can be a flippin headache is my point that is the only reason I wanted to add to your post those corrections.

Back