Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kym

Lairian
I love that pic of Alfie! And yes, Sookie is a good Blue example. She’s a little bit lighter so it’s really easy to tell the difference between her and a Black. Is she Blue Cream, @Kym? I think I spy a faint tortie pattern and a teeny bit of cream on her nose. It’s very subtle though.
Her mom
image.jpg

And her dad
image.jpg

Her dad's a blue, her moms kinda torti- ish. I'm hoping sookie grows up to look like her momma.

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a question...can any color sphynx be odd eyed? I'm under the understanding that certain color eyes go with certain color kitties, am I wrong?

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a question...can any color sphynx be odd eyed? I'm under the understanding that certain color eyes go with certain color kitties, am I wrong?

Odd eyes tend to come with white or primarily white coat colors. It can probably happen in other coat colors as a result of some abnormality (or maybe just weird luck). I'm sure there's some weird breeding going on to produce other coat colors with blue or odd eyes... but I have read that odd eyes in coat colors that aren't typical (like black or red or tabby) can be a sign of chimerism (two sets of DNA in a single animal - basically, an animal that is its own fraternal twin). Other weird stuff can happen in chimeras, such as a tortoiseshell cat being male. My breeder actually had a cat that was a verified chimera (unrelated to my cat).

Cool examples of suspected chimeras:
Venus-Chimera-Cat-3.jpeg

Chimera.jpg

^ that is, reportedly, a purebred Labrador retriever. You decide if it's a black lab or yellow.. hahaha.

Last edited:

Tiffany_Kay

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Odd eyes tend to come with white or primarily white coat colors. It can probably happen in other coat colors as a result of some abnormality (or maybe just weird luck). I'm sure there's some weird breeding going on to produce other coat colors with blue or odd eyes... but I have read that odd eyes in coat colors that aren't typical (like black or red or tabby) can be a sign of chimerism (two sets of DNA in a single animal - basically, an animal that is its own fraternal twin). Other weird stuff can happen in chimeras, such as a tortoiseshell cat being male. My breeder actually had a cat that was a verified chimera (unrelated to my cat).

Cool examples of suspected chimeras:
Venus-Chimera-Cat-3.jpeg

Chimera.jpg

^ that is, reportedly, a purebred Labrador retriever. You decide if it's a black lab or yellow.. hahaha.
I read somewhere that this cat has been verified as not being a chimera. They took DNA samples to find out, they just had dumb luck to end up with a tortie kitten with a split face and odd eyes. Now they could have just told the public that she wasn't a chimera so people wouldn't try to steal or harm her.

Hbomb77

Lairian
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392062502.078322.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392062536.249995.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392062603.080044.jpg

Here's my pink-ish boy. Does anyone have a guess at what he is? My other boy is a blue point, but I don't know what Ari would be called. He has yellowy green eyes, he's kind of a pinky pale skin, but it seems like if he had hair, it'd be a mix between red and white.

Hbomb77

Lairian
Thank you guys for your help! And I know, I always blow raspberries on his belly. It's so big! Once he's on adult food I'm going to need to watch his intake.

Helsinki

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

breezylizzy

Lairian
Hello, this is my kitten Leonidas. He is my first Sphynx baby. Can anyone tell me what his color is, and are all sphynx kittens born with blue eyes? I am curious as to whether they will stay blue.

Attachments

• received_m_mid_1393048783837_27f4271ac1bc340672_0.jpeg
    received_m_mid_1393048783837_27f4271ac1bc340672_0.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 651

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am not a pro by any means, but my guess is your baby is black and white not blue and white. Our girl is a tuxedo with similar coloring. The nose looks more black than blue. How about the pads of their feet? If black than your baby is probably not blue.

patti

Cat Dancer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was wondering if anyone has a blue mackerel tabby? My breeder suggested that the little boy I am getting has that coloring. Do they keep their stripes as they mature? I have heard mixed opinions and would love it if someone has pics! Thanks
image.jpg
This is him

andreanar

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't have a mackerel but I have a red tabby, and he still has stripes on his legs, but they are a lot fainter than when he was a kitten. He will be 2 next month.

Back