Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am by no means an expert on anything but I do find genetics very interesting and have done a ton of research on sphynx colors and patterns. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people can ask their color questions and we can try to figure out the answers as a group. Hopefully I’ve put it in the right section. I’ll start us off by posting some of the basic questions that come up a lot and we can add to it.

What is the difference between Point and Mink?

Both are called “thermal” because they are born pale and their color develops on the cooler parts of their bodies as they grow.

Pointed cats have blue eyes. They have a tendency to have more contrast between body and extremity colors than Mink cats. The Point gene in Sphynx is the same as in Siamese.

This is a Seal Point with White
Seal Point1.jpg

Same Seal Point as a kitten -
Seal Point2.jpg

Mink cats have aqua eyes. They have a tendency to have less contrast aka more similar body and extremity colors than Pointed cats. The Mink genes in Sphynx are the same as in Tonkinese (which is one Burmese [amber eye] gene and one Siamese [blue eye] gene present at the same time)

This is a Seal (aka Natural) Mink with White
Seal Mink 1.jpg
Seal Mink2.jpg

Is my cat blue?

Blue cats are basically black cats with an extra gene that makes them dilute. Their nose leather and paw pads will be steely blue, not black. Telling them apart can take some practice since most black sphynx don’t really look dark black, they look more gray. Blue cats usually have mint green eyes unless they are Blue Point or Blue Mink.

I don’t have a solid so here is a Blue Cream (which is the dilute version of a black and orange Tortie) she is a darker example of a Blue Cream.
Blue Cream1.jpg

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lola is such an Enigma! Every time I see a different picture I change my mind. If you knew the colors of her parents and grandparents I could give a more educated guess. Sometimes she looks Blue Cream to me, sometimes she looks like a Mink Tortie. In person does the peachy patch on her face look more orange or more cream?

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is interesting. I had been told by my breeder that Alfie is blue, but turns out he is black! (black nose and paw pads) Good to learn :)
I saw a picture in one of your albums that shows his face and eyes really well. Would you mind posting it so people can see the difference? He’s an awesome example of a solid black, so handsome. You can definitely see how his body could look blue but his face is dark black. They usually have beautiful yellow eyes just like Alfie does.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@RetroKitty

21902-1381605976-477a2706f4bfed778dddb9d29ffd9610.jpg

There is this one where you can see the black fur on the nose and the black/brown paw pads.

From other black sphynx I have seen, it seems like the 'darkness' of the black/grey color can vary. Maybe based on how hairy your sphynx is :)

I think maybe a good example of a blue sphynx from your description is @Kym 's Sookie?

13190f4a75b611e3ae5412bb72507cc7_8.jpg

Retro Kitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I love that pic of Alfie! And yes, Sookie is a good Blue example. She’s a little bit lighter so it’s really easy to tell the difference between her and a Black. Is she Blue Cream, @Kym? I think I spy a faint tortie pattern and a teeny bit of cream on her nose. It’s very subtle though.

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lola is such an Enigma! Every time I see a different picture I change my mind. If you knew the colors of her parents and grandparents I could give a more educated guess. Sometimes she looks Blue Cream to me, sometimes she looks like a Mink Tortie. In person does the peachy patch on her face look more orange or more cream?
She has orange tipped ears and a small orange (kinda like nicotine stain! Lol) above her nose. The rest of her is cream background :)

pashtcat

Lairian
This thread has been very educational. Thanks to RetroKitty for all the assistance in figuring out Puddin' the Mystery cat :) I am leaning heavily towards him being either a chocolate pointed tabby and white, or a platinum tabby and white. I know what his parents are. Also, I love looking at all the wonderful kitties - they are all so lovely!
Photo on 2014-01-08 at 10.30 #2.jpg

Back