Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Jrs4

Lairian
@GoldHazel thanks! Colour aside, she's just a doll, so sweet, love her to bits! I had never heard of that colour either, maybe she's a black, or a dilute? She's a beautiful mystery, but I am interested in some thoughts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel thanks! Colour aside, she's just a doll, so sweet, love her to bits! I had never heard of that colour either, maybe she's a black, or a dilute? She's a beautiful mystery, but I am interested in some thoughts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Jrs4 :) You are welcome. She actually looks a bit "tortie-ish" and if she has stripes on her tail, then there is some tabby in her too!

LineB

Lairian
Found this while trying to find out the true diffrence between tortie and calico...
It has descriptions of most colors and is the standard for our sphynx kitties. Hope this helps as well.

http://www.cfa.org/Portals/0/documents/breeds/standards/sphynx.pdf
Thanks for that, it's helping me, I was wondering about the color of my baby...he is just 12 weeks old it's difficult to determine the color he will turn-out to be (the color is not fixed until they are like 2 Years old, if I hear correctly), but he will be Chocolate, Blue eyes, brown nose and the skin is already more beige then pinkish.

Attachments

• Wilson 10 Weeks.JPG
    Wilson 10 Weeks.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 218

John k

Lairian
IMG_2111.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
Can anyone tell me what little Dorris is? I know the breeder said she's an elf sphynx but what about color? She looks almost like she is moldy haha

LineB

Lairian
Winston would be a seal point then right?

And Redmon just basic cream? View attachment 75386 View attachment 75388
Hi, I hard to say because from what I have heard the color is not fixed before up to 2 years old. Mine is Mink-Tabby and was very pale when he was new born (except for the nose area that was darker a bit) and later by 2 months he got strips and his legs and arms and the color started to get darker, even is eyes are changing a bit (from almost blue to a sort of green). Redmon look like tabby with orange and Winston could be a seal point, but again the color is not fixed yet, I guess he will get darker everywhere, and the nose even darker. Send more picts in a couple months.:)
Look at Mr Wilson at 11 weeks and Mr Wilson at 6 months, huge difference.

Attachments

• Mr Wilson at 11 weeks.JPG
    Mr Wilson at 11 weeks.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 235
  • wilson at 6 months.jpg
    wilson at 6 months.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 230

SarahsRedmon

Lairian
Hi, I hard to say because from what I have heard the color is not fixed before up to 2 years old. Mine is Mink-Tabby and was very pale when he was new born (except for the nose area that was darker a bit) and later by 2 months he got strips and his legs and arms and the color started to get darker, even is eyes are changing a bit (from almost blue to a sort of green). Redmon look like tabby with orange and Winston could be a seal point, but again the color is not fixed yet, I guess he will get darker everywhere, and the nose even darker. Send more picts in a couple months.:)
Look at Mr Wilson at 11 weeks and Mr Wilson at 6 months, huge difference.

Thanks for the response. I spoke with the breeder and she said Winston is a thermal. So if I'm understanding correctly that means his colors will change as he ages? And at about 2 years they will be set but still might vary a little? Do you know if the colors vary greatly like he looks like this now but a year from now could he turn all blue or tortie or typical not that drastic.

Adorable pictures of your little one by the way. Wow he did change quite a bit.. We're you expecting that or was it a surprise?

LineB

Lairian
Thanks for the response. I spoke with the breeder and she said Winston is a thermal. So if I'm understanding correctly that means his colors will change as he ages? And at about 2 years they will be set but still might vary a little? Do you know if the colors vary greatly like he looks like this now but a year from now could he turn all blue or tortie or typical not that drastic.

Adorable pictures of your little one by the way. Wow he did change quite a bit.. We're you expecting that or was it a surprise?
I have to admit that at first I was afraid that he was going to be very pale and I am happy that he is getting darker, I predict that he will get a bit more dark (chocolaty like color) , even the eyes have changed a little bit (from blueish to more blue-green ). To answer your question, yes you can expect a change in color..just like you I don't really know what to expect, we will have to wait and see...but no matter the color, it doesn't change their personalities , they are all adorable. :cat::love:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@SarahsRedmon my best guess is seal mink for Winston. Mink means aqua eyes. Point would have true blue eyes. Redmon looks like he is either cream and red or white and red to me. They are gorgeous. Our one girl changed so much in a year...she got much darker and her facial markings even darker.

sweenz

Lairian
I am by no means an expert on anything but I do find genetics very interesting and have done a ton of research on sphynx colors and patterns. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people can ask their color questions and we can try to figure out the answers as a group. Hopefully I’ve put it in the right section. I’ll start us off by posting some of the basic questions that come up a lot and we can add to it.

What is the difference between Point and Mink?

Both are called “thermal” because they are born pale and their color develops on the cooler parts of their bodies as they grow.

Pointed cats have blue eyes. They have a tendency to have more contrast between body and extremity colors than Mink cats. The Point gene in Sphynx is the same as in Siamese.

This is a Seal Point with White
View attachment 19962
Same Seal Point as a kitten -
View attachment 19966

Mink cats have aqua eyes. They have a tendency to have less contrast aka more similar body and extremity colors than Pointed cats. The Mink genes in Sphynx are the same as in Tonkinese (which is one Burmese [amber eye] gene and one Siamese [blue eye] gene present at the same time)

This is a Seal (aka Natural) Mink with White
View attachment 19963 View attachment 19965

Is my cat blue?

Blue cats are basically black cats with an extra gene that makes them dilute. Their nose leather and paw pads will be steely blue, not black. Telling them apart can take some practice since most black sphynx don’t really look dark black, they look more gray. Blue cats usually have mint green eyes unless they are Blue Point or Blue Mink.

I don’t have a solid so here is a Blue Cream (which is the dilute version of a black and orange Tortie) she is a darker example of a Blue Cream.
View attachment 19968
Thanks, you may of answered my question. Cooper my boy turned one in August and I noticed his back got darker a grey color. He is a blue eyed and I assume a point. When I got him at 4 months he had a darker spot on top of his head than as he got older I noticed the change on the back.
Thanks
Joanne

AmyMS

Lairian
My girl was sold as lilac & white, which seems just right to me, but how does her dark nose color relate? Does that mean she is a point of some sort? All I know is that she is GORGEOUS :shame: Also - she has pink paw beans.

Spoilmesphynx

Lairian
Hi. I need help with identifying my new 3 kittens' colors if you guys can??

First pic- Calico or Torbie?
2nd pic- chocolate but what kind of chocolate??
3rd pic- shes a lilac? Cream? Of course she has odd eye

Thank you for your help!! (So I can pick specific colors to register on TICA)

Attachments

• IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2812.JPG
    IMG_2812.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 192

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Your trio is adorable. Here is an older thread you can look through. It contains great info on coloring and other links within it. Sphynx Color Q&A

I am far from an expert on coloring but my guess is
1...tortie
2...chocolate and white
3...can we have another picture...hard to see from pic

What are their names @Spoilmesphynx. ?

Back