Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Digestive Issues - Advice Please

Kitty Bonez

Lairian
Ahoy hoy!

Me and my husband foster cats and kittens for a local charity. Last Friday we took on a beautiful 1.5 year old Sphynx cat who had been surrendered after being bought 2 months earlier. The gentlemen surrendering him said the reason was because this Sphynx was not getting on with his other cats (both unneutered whilst the Sphynx is neutered). He advised that all the cats were getting upset and messing in the house but the Sphynx was having solid poos, no tummy issues and was lovely.

We’ve since named the Sphynx Pazuzu which is rather fitting seeing that this name means demon king of the wind, and my god does he have wind! Since last Friday he has had very gassy diarrhoea. The old owner was feeding him on Whiska’s which I’m not really a fan of and as our cats are on JWB we wanted to transition to that diet so have had Pazuzu on Royal Canin Gastro as an interim diet. Usually when we have a fosters in, this helps bind them in a couple of days but unfortunately for Pazuzu this hasn’t helped.

Yesterday we started him on panacur in case he had worms and also pro-kolin to help his gut, however last night he had more diarrhoea than ever. I am unsure if that’s just the panacur doing it’s job though.

I have been told that Sphynx’s can often have allergies to chicken but I am unsure if that is true?

Has anyone had any similar experiences with a very gassy and poopy Sphynx and is there any advice or guidance you might be able to give please?

Thanking you :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I would speak to your vet about treating for Giardia. When tested it can come back false negative, so many vets will treat for it a ways as it will not hurt them. It is true we see chicken can be a culprit for allergies/tummy issues. You can try a limited ingredient food with a different protein to see if that helps as well. Please keep us updated. Thank you for trying to square away the health of this baby!

Kitty Bonez

Lairian
Hey!

That’s great advice, thank you. We’ll get him booked in for some Giardia testing and if it doesn’t hurt him to be treated for it even if he doesn’t have it then I’ll push for that.

Could you advise what protein is safest for Sphynx’s? Would you go for a fish perhaps?

Oh I will! He’s such a handsome boy and we just want him healthy. I fear he may become our second foster fail haha.

Here is a picture of the little wind demon.

Attachments

• 426AD320-C52A-4205-96BE-B27FE4018EF2.jpeg
    426AD320-C52A-4205-96BE-B27FE4018EF2.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 9

Yoda mom

Staff member
Oh my heart
Bless your heart. Agree with stool sample check. Sharing my adoptees switched to nutrisource car and kitten food blue bag years ago and never a poo issue again. I like no recalls, touted for gut health. Hugs n head smooches. Keep us updated

yes, some can be sensitive to chicken..

@Letitia shared success with Hounds & Gato food, all beef version.

keep us updated.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kitty Bonez , checking in for updates on adorable Pazuzu . ((hugs n head smooches)))
I see he may be your second foster "fail" success. all paws are family.

Kitty Bonez

Lairian
Hey! Well Pazuzu is still with us. He’s doing better and is a lot less gassy but is still having a mixture of loose stools as well as the occasional sausage shaped one.

The vets in our area have been busy so we’ve not been able to get him in to do Giardia testing yet but after speaking to a vet I know I’m gonna push for a stacked sample test (poop samples from different days all in the same pot) and take it with me on our appointment as apparently that has a higher rate of coming back positive if he does have it.

We’ve noticed Pazuzu is better on fish than chicken so we’re making sure he’s just on that. He’s also still very affectionate and our resident cats and him are often found giving each other little kisses which is adorable to see.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Kitty Bonez , thank you for the update! so glad he is doing better and having good results on the fish.
melt my heart, I can just see Pazuzu being so affectionate and sharing kisses with resident kitties. all paws are family.. hope you get a chance to share pics/names of your furbabies!

keep us updated on the stacked stool sample check

Back