Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx ears

Denise

Lairian
Hello. I have posted a few times,I am actively looking for a sphynx kitten in ontario and not having the best of luck.
I have been sent pics of kittens by many breeders both those with catterys and those that I guess would be considered BYB. One thing that really turns me off is the kittens ears. In most of the pics I am getting the kittens ears are noticeably filthy! I mean really,really dirty.Is there a reason why a month old kitten should have such dirty ears? Maybe they can't be cleaned so young? Am I being shallow? I worry about the care they are getting and the pride the breeder puts in her babies when thy present them like that.
Comment please.:BigSmile:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm sorry that I can't be of any help to you as I have no recent experience with very young kittens. Although I expect that kittens can get awfully grubby, I would also think those selling kittens would want them looking their best for pictures.

holly_savage

Banned
The kittens are not usually bathed until they are 8 weeks old, and from what I have seen of kitten pictures they do look grubby al the time

Bella07

Banned
Yep, kittens aren't usually bathed till they are 8-10 weeks old, just so it doesn't freak them out too much. So, dirty little ears on a month old is fairly normal. Try to viist the cattery that you are considering buying from. Then you can see their living conditions, and how the adult cats look. Good Luck in your search!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes because of the lack of fur and nothing in the ears to get rid of the oil. Having had kittens I can tell you it can be a bit tricky to keep them clean. Mommy kitty does her best, and siblings help out in the ears sometimes. I start bathing them at about 8 weeks old also but even 5 minutes after a bath a kitten exploring every inch of a litter box and falling face first into the food dish can cause it to look like it has never had a bath in its life.:Laugh:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Kittens of any age are grubby little critters. On our Sphynx the dirt is prominant because we can't really clean them until they reach 8 weeks of age or so. I wouldn't be too alarmed and maybe ask for photos of the adult cats and sometimes you can get a clue of how clean they are kept. If your close enough ask for a visit so you can check them out yourself.

Back