Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx Gear / Cat Gear section

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm thinking... we don't have one. :)
I just bought a new foldable cat carrier, for instance. So I'll report in about how it holds up.
But I'm thinking... I often see questions about harnesses, litterboxes, cat beds, heat pads, toys etc, so it might be an idea to add a section where questions about such things can be asked, where people can review items they've bought, where we can maybe have a list of "stay away from" items people have tried and found lacking, or where severe defects have been found. (i.e. those cat pods which roll over and suffocate cats)

Cat clothes (maybe have a "Fashion Show" thread where people can post their clothes shots?) as well. Obviously without mentioning the individual store, but one can always ask for a pm.
It would be great for size info and such, especially for new-to-Sphynx members.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
It's a great idea! But I know rules in the USA are strict and you can be sued by anything when you say something bad about a product. And don't want sphynxlair to get sued. @admin is @Silke idea possible? Would be fun if it could

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's a great idea! But I know rules in the USA are strict and you can be sued by anything when you say something bad about a product. And don't want sphynxlair to get sued. @admin is @Silke idea possible? Would be fun if it could
Wut? Have you seen the review section on Amazon or Angie's List? There are plenty of bad reviews. Loosen up @Toa and Ross and have some fun :)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wut? Have you seen the review section on Amazon or Angie's List? There are plenty of bad reviews. Loosen up @Toa and Ross and have some fun :)
Don't think that's what she meant. :) She just wondered if that might be a reason it may not be allowed, because in the US people tend to be a bit erm... litigation happy :)
We tend to play it fast and loose, in Europe. :p

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
The other issue for we is admins trying to filter out individuals trying to advertise items. Especially for clothing makers on Etsy etc. There are members from time to time that pay to have a store front on Sphynxlair and pay a small fee to be featured and advertise. It can become challenging to let members know why some things like generics PetSmart goods etc are allowed, but individual private ones are not permitted in public areas. We want all to feel welcome and it is a fine balance.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Don't think that's what she meant. :) She just wondered if that might be a reason it may not be allowed, because in the US people tend to be a bit erm... litigation happy :)
We tend to play it fast and loose, in Europe. :p
I know what you mean but everyone has free speech so don't be afraid to speak. I may not like what you have to say, but I'll defend your right to say it. I wasn't born in the USA; my family came here looking for freedom and I lived in Europe when I was a kid, but I'm an American now. :)

I would love to hear about how you build a catio by the way. I might need some help with mine LOL. Do you make housecalls? ;)

Last edited:

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah I bet that's hassle.
But a DIY section would still be cool :)

@Condo commando
my second catio is described here
I didn't really take pics of the first one, but it was just 1"x 2" boards screwed together and attached to each other with hinges, and mesh covering. When I get to France I'll get more boards to make them higher, build a solid structure roof to go on it..and hey presto.
If it could have been a fixed structure, I'd have done it all differently, but it had to come down over winter.
However, if I end up purchasing the farm I was looking at in France... then there will be a solid catio attached to that. I may not build it myself (since the house is a renovation project, it'll go into that renovation), but I'll sure as heck design it. :)

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Silke oh I remember the catio pics....I'm impressed you did everything yourself. I've been living in upper floor condos for a long time so I just have a balcony and there's no way. I don't think I would be that handy, either.

Anyway I'm looking for a new home, and this time I'm for sure going to get something on the ground with a patio. I have to find it first and then figure out exactly what to do but I want a big patio. Me and the cats are going to sit there and watch the world go by. :D

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
FWIW -- If you have grass / dirt in your garden and the catio extends to there, it's really quite easy.
You need two large / tall posts in the garden, and (depending how big it is) at least another two posts at the entrance way, or something you can fix to the wall and put hooks into.
I've laid out a simple plan with explanations if you want them.

Catio.jpg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
This is awesome. I need to give it more thought depending on what I find.

What is your cat net idea for the balcony? I had a neighbor with a dog and he put chicken wire around his balcony but the dog couldn't jump. I worry about the cats jumping on the railing. We're only renting here temporarily until I can find a place to buy.

Attachments

• Balcony.jpg
    Balcony.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 32

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I suppose you can't drill into that pillar, right?
If there is any way to fix things to the wall and pillar, you could use this: Cat Net Enclosure
There may be cheaper ones, but that's the kind of thing I was thinking of.
OR... Theoretically you could put frames up, but it would likely be unsightly and unwieldy.
Extension poles tend to collapse if a cat is hanging on it.

How well do you know the person living directly above you?
I'd go up and ask if it were okay with them to fix the net with zip ties to the bottom of their balcony. (You'd have to get a white net and black cable ties.) Then you could stretch it down to yours and zip tie it onto the inside bottom (otherwise you might have a cat trapped between railing and net) of yours.
That would be the easiest way.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Silke this is is amazing, I clicked on your link and it led me to a cage for balconies.

Now if I'm picking nits, it needs to be taller and have something to climb but it shows somebody is thinking. In city centers you have tall buildings, not houses. I tried to find an apartment with a screened balcony but if it's not one thing it's another. At least I have windows with screens. The cats spend a good bit of time sitting at the window and watching people walk their dogs, the mailman, etc. And when it's nice outside I open the glass and they get some fresh air. I meet people sometimes and when I tell them which apartment I live in they're like, "oh you have the hairless cats!" So they are better known than me :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Cat tunnel.PNG
    Cat tunnel.PNG
    245.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Window view.jpg
    Window view.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 30

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The other thing that bothers me with that cat tunnel, is that there is mesh on the bottom. I can see toes and claws getting caught.
I'd seriously knock on the upstairs neighbors door and ask lol. Bring them a case of wine or something, if they say yes.
At least that way you'd have full use of your balcony and could put a cat tree out there or something. :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yeah the neighbors probably wouldn't mind and the more I think about it, it seems possible. However, doing something like that would be against my lease because it's visible to anybody looking at the building. The landlord did allow a neighbor to put screen for their dog but only along the railing and also my neighbor faces the back of the property. LOL it would take my cats about 2 seconds to jump up on the railing....and then if they lose their footing we are a good 10 meters up.

This problem is going to go away as soon as I find a place to buy (this year for sure). I'm looking for a little house with a patio but it will be weird for me because I haven't lived on the ground level since around when Moby Dick was a guppy.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I know that feeling. I was on the 3rd Floor in the UK for 25 years, now I have a ground floor flat, and am moving into a small 2 floor building while I look for property in France...

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know that feeling. I was on the 3rd Floor in the UK for 25 years, now I have a ground floor flat, and am moving into a small 2 floor building while I look for property in France...
Third floor is what I'm on now. Never did I think I would want or need a patio (who has time to sit and do nothing) but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , living on ground level was knew to me when I moved to a Florida
It was eery at first having the bedroom on the ground level with a window
Lol I made sure the pool lanai enclosure enclosed my bedroom area
Amd made some other back up plans

The kitties love the lanai
But have to watch for idiots knowing they are there to steal for quick cash , loose dogs thst can and I have seen at others places go theu the screens to get kitties , kitties climbimg screens to catch birds lizards , butterflies
All Amd all- I always supervise them for our lanai outings

Today I am literally having new pool lanai enclosure put up simce hurrican Irma
Kitites are supervising thru the window with all the banging and comstruction
Silly sphynx

When I lived with balconies I always used a harness on kitties and supervised so they didn't jump on the rail
Always gave me a heart attack when I saw thst look in their eyes like hmmmm what's up there

Keep us updated on your new home search :)

Lol - Your comment - when Moby dick was a guppy lol

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom - I have that same eerie feeling about the ground floor. I'm being very picky about the orientation of the doors and windows.

I don't know where you live exactly but it's very hard to find places that allow pets around here, even when you are buying. Just about everything is in a deeded community with a homeowners association and rules for everything. Why did I pick condo commando for my user name? Because I hate them, so I mock them.

Anyway I'm looking to buy in a community of homes, not condos. I found one that allows 2 pets up to 30 lb total. On the one hand, how ridiculous is it that you can't choose what size animals to have in your own house? Some of the sweetest dogs are over 30 lb but I guess they'd rather have yappy ones. On the other hand, at least this one HOA I found is enlightened enough to allow you to have 2 little animals. I'm just waiting for a house to come up for sale that I like, hopefully before I'm priced out of the market at the rate things are going.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando All paws crossed you find the pawfect Home

I am also in an HOA neighborhood and some of the rules are over the top!
I go to the yearly meeting for laughs
Before I built this house I looked at a condo Amd yup ..40 lb dog limit ..
Lol mine weigh 60, 140, and 148 lbs and are the non barkers om the block of little dogs here lol
I get complimented by the little dog owners of how well behaved my crew is -
Duh.. Training

Ps - sorry for the off thread title reply

@Silke , thank you for sharing your expertise on Catios!

Back