Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx has not eaten in 3 days

minusplanck

Lairian
Minus is a 6 month old Sphynx. He normally eats about 2 cans of wet food a day and a small dish or two of dry food AND jumps up on the counter looking for more food. On Saturday, we noticed that he hadn't touched his food at all. At first, we thought it was because we had bought fish canned food (tuna, salmon, etc) when Minus normally eats chicken or beef, but after offering chicken and beef, he still had no appetite.

He didn't get into anything that we know of, when we took him to the vet on Monday, they ran full blood tests and everything came back normal. They gave him fluids to prevent dehydration and a prescription that increases appetite. He will still not eat more than a bite or two every 12 hours.

The thing that I can't seem to understand is, that he continues to have bowel movements. They get smaller, softer and less often, but even this morning (Tuesday) he had another. About once a day, he gags until he throws up a little clear liquid or foam.

His mood hasn't changed drastically. He is not nearly as energetic, but he really doesn't seem sick. I don't know what else to do for him. Should I be force feeding him with a syringe? Any ideas of what it could be? The vet said the only other thing she could think of is something stuck in his stomach, but why would he continue having bowel movements? If anyone at all could help, we'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
A kitty that doesn't eat is a kitty that has something seriously wrong. Your vet may be right in thinking that something is in there. Were xrays done? Barium xrays would also be needed to show up items that regular xrays don't pick up. Doing an EGD may also be helpful if the xrays don't show anything. That's an esophagogastroduodenoscopy, meaning they put a little scope down through the mouth and visually see if anything is down there.

I hope your little guy gets better soon. Please keep us updated. And continue to keep him hydrated until it gets figured out, kitty kidneys start shutting down after 24 hours of no fluids.

Gizzymom

Banned
I agree with Marlene... A sphynx with no appetite is NOT normal. If he has some type of obstruction higher up in his GI tract or a partial obstruction, he may be able to produce bowel movements for a day or two. I would definitely not "wait and see" though. If there is an obstruction, more damage could be occurring. Did the vet do an x-ray while you were there or just blood work? And Marlene is right - sometimes an x-ray with contrast will show something that does not show on a regular x-ray (i.e. string, fabric, etc.).

I would recommend going back to you your vet or if you are not pleased with what he is doing, consult a 2nd opinion. Again, sooner is better than later as 3 days is a long time for a sphynx to go without food.

Good luck and we will be sending healing thoughts and prayers your way for you and Minus.

minusplanck

Lairian
Thank you for your quick replies.

The vet offered an xray, but stated that she didn't think it was completely necessary. Her xray machine was down at the time and we'd have to go to their satelite facility. Wanted to stick with her because she is the vet that the breeder (where Minus was purchased from) takes all of her cats.

She said to wait a day or two after giving him the appetite increasing prescription, but again, we just didn't feel right. She also said the xray was kind of a chance as most cats don't ingest things that will actually show on an xray, so wondering if spending the money (that we dont really have) is worth it if theres a chance we won't see anything anyway.

I'll do whatever it takes to get him back to normal, just trying to figure out my best options here. Thanks again. Any more info is greatly appreciated.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm sorry but I'm going to be pessimistic here. I really don't see how a shot for stimulating appetite is going to help. A 6 month old creature that hasn't eaten for 3 days should be plenty hungry without needing a shot - and if they aren't hungry then there's a reason why and a shot is unlikely to improve matters.

It sounds like your vet doesn't know what's going on. I work with physicians every day who have no idea what's going on with a patient and they tell me to "watch them." I've been known to reply with "Watch them do what, die?" My advice is that you need to find a vet that can help. A good bet would be a veterinary teaching hospital if you have access to one.

I don't mean to imply that your vet isn't up to par. But I will come right out and say that I believe your kitty needs aggressive investigation and treatment. Like Gizzymom said, waiting can often be detrimental. And it does nothing in a case like this but further weaken the animal, which can limit your options or be fatal.

Again, please forgive me for being so blunt.

Edited to add: I just saw your question about cost. I had a barium xray done last May on a kitty but paid the bill in one lump sum of $1000. That also included bloodwork, several abdominal taps to drain off fluid, and an abdominal ultrasound. The bill was itemized but I never looked at it cause it didn't matter to me at the time. Sorry I don't have more info for you about the cost.

Inferno12

Banned
Thank you for your quick replies.

The vet offered an xray, but stated that she didn't think it was completely necessary. Her xray machine was down at the time and we'd have to go to their satelite facility. Wanted to stick with her because she is the vet that the breeder (where Minus was purchased from) takes all of her cats.

She said to wait a day or two after giving him the appetite increasing prescription, but again, we just didn't feel right. She also said the xray was kind of a chance as most cats don't ingest things that will actually show on an xray, so wondering if spending the money (that we dont really have) is worth it if theres a chance we won't see anything anyway.

I'll do whatever it takes to get him back to normal, just trying to figure out my best options here. Thanks again. Any more info is greatly appreciated.

Im sorry I am going to beg to differ. Please dont be offended but I had a cat swallow a piece of rubber and was the same way your cat was. I had no idea what was wrong with him except for the fact that he was throwing up and not eating. He was pooping as well but not eating at all. An X-ray showed the "foreign object" and if it wasnt for the x-ray, he would have died in a day or two. In my opinion, and x-ray should have been the first thing that was done. An x-ray could show an object or show something else that is going on. I would immediately go to another vet. I know this vet is where your breeder goes but you have a 6 mo old baby that hasnt eaten and all he did was give your baby a shot and some fluids? More needs to be done before your baby goes any longer without eating. If you want to stay with your vet I would demand and x-ray and then go from there. Im sorry but for me a shot and some fluids ARE NOT enough.

Please dont take this in the wrong way but if you ask for opinions in the forum, you get them! :Woo::Woo:

Please keep us updated and we will be sending good thoughts your way

minusplanck

Lairian
Im sorry I am going to beg to differ. Please dont be offended but I had a cat swallow a piece of rubber and was the same way your cat was. I had no idea what was wrong with him except for the fact that he was throwing up and not eating. He was pooping as well but not eating at all. An X-ray showed the "foreign object" and if it wasnt for the x-ray, he would have died in a day or two. In my opinion, and x-ray should have been the first thing that was done. An x-ray could show an object or show something else that is going on. I would immediately go to another vet. I know this vet is where your breeder goes but you have a 6 mo old baby that hasnt eaten and all he did was give your baby a shot and some fluids? More needs to be done before your baby goes any longer without eating. If you want to stay with your vet I would demand and x-ray and then go from there. Im sorry but for me a shot and some fluids ARE NOT enough.

Please dont take this in the wrong way but if you ask for opinions in the forum, you get them! :Woo::Woo:

Please keep us updated and we will be sending good thoughts your way
Thank you for this info...no need to apologize for the directness. I need help. I've never had issues like this with an animal before. I've never had a Sphynx either.

When your cat had swallowed the piece of rubber, did they do a regular xray or a barium xray? I'm concerned about spending the money for the reg xray if he's just going to need a barium xray anyway. My vet is estimating it to be at least $525 for the barium.

As I was writing this, I sat Minus in front of his food and he suprisingly ate 1/4 of a can of wet food. He continued eating until almost half was gone, he sat in front of the fireplace for about 15 minutes, then got up and had a drink of water. Now I'm really confused.

My boyfriend's biggest concern is that something is lodged in his digestive tract and eating will only lodge it further...? Should I not be encouraging Minus to eat?

The only "teaching vet school" is 2.5 hours away and unfortunately we have a bit of a blizzard right now so venturing out for a cheaper cost isn't really an option either. Thank you all again so much...any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Inferno12

Banned
Thank you for this info...no need to apologize for the directness. I need help. I've never had issues like this with an animal before. I've never had a Sphynx either.

When your cat had swallowed the piece of rubber, did they do a regular xray or a barium xray? I'm concerned about spending the money for the reg xray if he's just going to need a barium xray anyway. My vet is estimating it to be at least $525 for the barium.

As I was writing this, I sat Minus in front of his food and he suprisingly ate 1/4 of a can of wet food. He continued eating until almost half was gone, he sat in front of the fireplace for about 15 minutes, then got up and had a drink of water. Now I'm really confused.

My boyfriend's biggest concern is that something is lodged in his digestive tract and eating will only lodge it further...? Should I not be encouraging Minus to eat?

The only "teaching vet school" is 2.5 hours away and unfortunately we have a bit of a blizzard right now so venturing out for a cheaper cost isn't really an option either. Thank you all again so much...any and all help is greatly appreciated.

We just did a regular x-ray and it showed up because it was rubber. We had no clue what in the hell it was and It took me about 24 hours to figure out what the foreign object was and when they took it out, it matched the rubber "foot" off of the bottom of a tower fan. I had no idea how he got it or that he had eaten it.

I have never dealt with a barium x-ray so I would be cautious of spending that kind of money. I personally would have the regular one done first because it could save you money although it would save you money if you had to do the barium one after that. Thats a tough decision but I would do one or the other imediately.

I dont know about the eating thing either. I would think that if its lodged it doesnt really matter whether they eat or not because its lodged. I guess if anything it might move it along. When we found the rubber thing. We took another x-ray before the surgery to make sure it hadnt moved along. The vet said if it had moved then we could continue feeding him and monitor it to see if it would keep on moving all the way out. It hadnt moved at all so we did the surgery.

Gizzymom

Banned
I don't think eating would "push" an obstruction further, it would just make the cat vomit since the food has nowhere to go.

If I remember correctly (people correct me if I am wrong), a regular x-ray is not that expensive (around $50-$60)... but whatever you decide to do, I would do it. Like I said before, if there is an obstruction, blood supply could be cut off to parts of the intestine causing that part to "die" from lack of blood supply. Sometimes parts of the intestine can be removed if it is necrotic by surgery (big $) and sometimes it cannot be fixed.

Go with your gut and do what you can for him.

Update us and we will be hoping and praying that it is not anything serious...

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am agreeing with the XRAY. If there is a blockage it can cause serious problems and death. This needs to be taken care of as soon as possible. Let us know how it goes. I know you are extremely worried about your baby.

want a sphynx

Lairian
The same thing happened to my daughter's first ragdoll when he was 6 months old. Only she took him to the vet after he didn't eat for 24 hours. I insisted! The vet did an xray, and sure enough, blockage.... $2000 later, after surgery, Jack was fine. But the price was high where she is because she lives in Cape Cod. You can't drive by the vet for under $100 !!! lol Since then, *I* kitty-proofed her house, no problems anymore! She has since gotten another ragdoll, Chance... they are lovely cats, but soooooooo big and hairy! (and lazy!)

PLEASE go to the vet right away! Every minute counts!

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with the others.
Get a Xray done also.
Some of my friends cats had blockages.
In fact one was told her cat was fine and I told her to insist on the xray.
The cat would have died if she did not have the xray.
Also he can get fatty liver disease from not eating.
I hope everything will be ok.

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
X-ray, immediately. Even if he has begun eating a little, unless you saw something come out in the litter box, there's something wrong! (And even then, there could still be more of whatever he ate stuck in there).

The big scary here is if it is what they call a "linear foreign body." String, ribbon, thread, rubber band, tinsel, etc. These can get partially lodged in the stomach, travel into the intestine, then the intestine "bunches up" around the object cutting off blood supply. This can kill your cat very quickly. Fatty liver is also a concern, if the cat doesn't eat.

If your vet isn't giving you satisfactory answers, go somewhere else.

Gary's x-ray and labs totaled $300 when he ate ribbon. The surgery to remove it was $1800. Pet insurance is a good thing.

pooner

Banned
Please update us on your little one when you find out more. I agree get the xray, it could save his life.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I agree on the xray should run $75- $175 depending on the vet and part of body, We had Athena done when she ate the turkey wish bone it cause the same thing and showed in the xray.Thank god it was small and she passed it and was fine but something larger could be bad.

susi794

Staff member
I agree with everybody else. Do the xray. Also some IV nutrition would be called for also I would think. Not just subQ fluids.

Ella_B

Lairian
My input here is a little late, but the same thing happened to Berlin when she was 6 months old. She also stopped eating for a few days - initially I thought she hadn't been eating because I'd been away a few days on business and she'd been down, but she wasn't even looking at her food.
I took her to the vet and he couldn't find anything wrong with her, other than that she'd dropped an alarming amount of weight very quickly and was dehydrated. He gave her an antibiotic shot just in case and he gave me a tin of high calorie food to be mixed with water and syringed down her throat. It was traumatic for both of us, but that was the only way I was getting anything into her.
I took her back to the vet the next day and told him that there had been no change and she still wasn't eating alone. His next theory was that because she's small for her age, she might be teething, so he gave her a shot of some painkiller. Within a few hours of that she was eating soft food on her own and in much better spirits. I had to feed her soft food for a few weeks, but she did recover. I think the pain from teething had just put her off eating entirely, but the combo of only soft food and the painkiller got her back on track.
I'm not saying this is what's wrong with Minus, but it's possible. Mention it to the vet maybe? Good luck. Really hope he feels better ASAP.

minusplanck

Lairian
SOOO...we took Minus back to the vet yesterday. Like I mentioned, he ate and kept down about a 1/4 of a can of wet food. They gave him another round of fluids to prevent dehydration and upon our request, did an xray. The Xray showed a small thin white spot in his lower intestines. We again gave Minus the appetite increasing prescription along with a Mallox type medicine that was to coat his intestines (preventing obstruction from the alien being) AND the vet gave him a high fiber can food. We brought him home, he ate a little, kept it down and went to bed. Throughout the day today, he ate a little, had a few bowel movements (not perfect, but not sickly) and kept on napping. Then tonight, just a few moments ago after playing a little, got up on his own and ate some dry food!!! We're very excited but not putting the cart before the horse (hoping he keeps it down). He hasn't thrown up and has been more playful by the hour. Fingers crossed, he may pass whatever it is in his intestines. Worst case senerio, we've discussed opting for the surgery, however the vet has told us there's a good chance they'll find nothing worth removing, so we're hoping for the best as the better has been showing for the past 48 hours. Thank you all for your continued support, please continue to post your input and knowledge, every little bit helps. :) Thanks!

Gizzymom

Banned
Did your vet have any opinion as to what he thought it was???

Hope whatever "it" is comes out soon!!!!!:Wink:

minusplanck

Lairian
The vet said there was no way to determine what was actually in his stomach. It had made it's way down through to the lower intestine and showed up as a white thin line and a few white dots. We racked our brains to figure out what it could've been, but still have no idea. This morning, he again ate all of his food, cleaned his bowels and then went to the bathroom, a normal looking bowel movement too! Hopefully whatever it was has officially passed. Thank you again, everyone.

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Nothing like a Christmas Poo Miracle. :Laugh:

So glad your little one is feeling better. Hope he only continues to improve.