Sphynx Help: | Sphynxlair

Sphynx Help:

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Tails' started by jrsmom, Jul 27, 2009.

1. jrsmom

jrsmomLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $317.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Jr(johnny Cash) needs some help!

He eats Iams(kiten) 2 times per day. Has plenty of fresh clean water, and poops ALOT!:Woo:

My reason for questioning is for the fact, that his poo, is some of the most awful smelling cat stool I have ever smelled. I live in a 2k sq ft house, and the boy can seriously put some smell into it!!!!

He resides in his OWN room, upstairs, and after he has gone, sometimes I can smell it down stairs, its so bad! My upstairs is awful when he has gone!

Someone please tell me if they have this problem, or what I could do to fix it!!!:Dizzy:

2. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi jrsmom! Welcome to the forum!

How old is Jr? Is this a new problem or did it just start? Other than the smell, is the poop normal in consistency?
    You might try switching him to a different brand of food. You'll want to do it slowly, mixing the new food with his old food over the course of at least a week, to ensure he doesn't get an upset stomach.

If you do a search on this forum for "food", you'll find several threads where we've talked about what we all feed our sphynxes. One member in particular had this same problem, and was able to control it by switching to a different brand of food.

Best of luck! Please upload some photos of your kitten for us!!

3. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +287
    Thanks for posting about Jr. You're not the only one with a cat that has this problem. As Brooke mentioned, this has been an ongoing topic for some time. There are lots of poor quality foods on the market and the better the food we feed our pets, the less poop they'll have, with less odor. Its important to feed high quality food because many companies put the poorest quality ingredients in food so they can get the top dollar out of their customers. Ideal food does not have fillers in it. That means, meat "by-products" and fillers like corn should be avoided. The best way to avoid fillers and junk in food is to read the label and know what to look for. Below is an analysis of Iams Kitten. I've highlighted the stuff that is considered poor food for cats. Steer clear of these in future foods and you'll find that the problems you're having may simply go away with a diet change:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Corn Grits, Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Fish Oil (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, Brewers Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract.

As you can see, the highest percentages of this food are fillers. There are alot of by-products (that means beaks, feathers, feet and other parts not suitable for human consumption are ground down into a meal and put in your pet's food) and fillers that your pet cannot absorb (such as corn, which they derive no benefit from).

Look for a food that is mostly meat, that's what your cat needs.

Here's an analysis of Felidae No-grain (cats don't need grains, why feed it to them?):
    Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, potato protein, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural flavor, fish meal, choline chloride, methionine, taurine, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, Dried Enterococcus faecieum fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, papaya, pineapple.

This food not only has real fruits and veggies that are high quality (where corn is not) with vitamins, amino acids and enzymes that help GI health, it also includes natural bacterium that stabilize the GI tract such as L. acidophilus, casei, plantarum and others. This company is honestly thinking about the wellness of your pet by adding such ingredients to protect and enhance the ability of the intestines.

As you will notice, there is no mention of SALT in the second food. This is important because in today's society it is still acceptable to add salt into foods where animal don't need it. Added salt causes added strain on kidneys and over time can cause premature organ damage effecting the liver, kidneys, bladder, urethers, urethra, pancreas, stomach and heart. It's important to feed a food that encourages health, not early deterioriation because a company is not paying attention to what is going in to their foods. The FDA does not monitor pet foods like they do human foods...which should tell you that you need to be your pet's advocate and do the research before problems arise such as the food recalls of 2006 and 2007. Millions of pets were affected, thousands of them died. Be aware and seek out a food accordly.

High quality foods: Felidae, Merrick, Innova, Evo, Orijin, Nature's Variety (we feed the raw rabbit), Evangers, Wellness Core, California Natural, Weruva, Taste of the Wild, Canz, Primal, etc.

I would also recommend speaking with your vet about doing a fecal. Sometimes bacterial overgrowths and intestinal parasites can cause malodorous stools--but not usually to the effect that you're describing. Best to make sure there's no underlying cause before blaming diet. Good luck!

4. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $276,944.19
    Ratings:
    +17,636
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
  5. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Admin, thanks for clarifying. LOL! :LOL::Shok::Badly:

6. PitRottMommy

PitRottMommyBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $322.00
    Ratings:
    +287
    Indeed. Clarification was much appreciated.

7. ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $6,132.16
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    • Fish
    • Dragon fly
    • Candy
    Welcome to our little world jrsmom! So how old is your guy? There has been many of the poop question here Oh yes even A poop diary!:Laugh: And even poop pictures or I should say video:Whistle:

8. jrsmom

jrsmomLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $317.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks for the help guys!!! I actually read that thread, I don't believe I went far enough though! I am going to try some of the Prairie food, and see if that helps.

I am willing to try anything at this point! Mr. Cash is 14 months. I consider him a child , so I need the best food. We have even taught him to mutter Momma! Next is toilet training.:ThumbsUp:

I will post pictures today! We nicknamed him Mr. Handsome.

Also, he has been to the vet, not long ago. He did have issues. We believe the caretaker we got him from knew he was sick. Other then that his stools, are normal..unless we finds food from my kids. the boy eats everything!