Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx in the movies

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was just watching the movie Dune from 1984. Some of the older folk may remember it. Very unusual and strange space epic. Anyway, I was surprised when I saw Sting (The Police Sting) carrying an odd eyed sphynx in a cage.

So that got me thinking. We are probably all familiar with Mr. Bigglesworth
from Austin Powers but are there any others?

Screenshot from the movie
l_bd97e912286c48e3a75734f64d3445cc.jpg

With Sting. He looks young. He's an old man now. Still makes good music though.
l_e38df5f2d2804805b06aeec6f598011d.jpg

Actually on closer inspection that may be one of those Rex cats. Eh, I'm not an expert but it looks like a sphynx.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
That looks to be a Sphynx,the rex has more hair(curly) generally, although they do get bald patches as they get older.
devon.gif

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Seems like sphynx cats are gaining more recognition in movies and even on TV as well. Just the other day, I was watching an old episode of "Sabrina the Teenaged Witch". Sabrina, played by Melissa Joan Hart, is a half-witch, half-mortal girl who lives with her two aunts (both witches) and her black (furry) cat, Salem. Anyway, in this episode, Sabrina became angry with Salem so she used her magic to turn him into a hairless cat (in the scene, they switched the black cat usually playing Salem with a cat who was most obviously a sphynx). The sphynx cat they used was a very good-looking specimen of the breed, too. I wish I could find a clip of that episode; it was so cute to see a sphynx on the show. :tinysmile_grin_t:

silly4lilly

Lairian
Not sure if anyone watches the show the real housewifes on Bravo (i think). this coming season they have the real housewives of NJ, and one of the ladies on there has a sphynx.

BTW....... if anyone watches it, the people on that show are wack and people in NJ do not act like that!....i live in NJ

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Just in case no one has seen this! [video=We don't gnaw our kitty]19[/video]

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just saw the cutest new cartoon on the Disney channel the other day. It's called "Kid vs. Kat" and it's about a boy who is constantly fighting with his sister's hairless cat.

Here's a brief description of the show (per Disney):

"Coop has a pretty normal life until his sister (and master manipulator) Millie brings home a box of pure evil: a tiny hairless 'Kat.' What do you do when there's a mutant alien pet bent on your destruction?"

It usually plays on the Disney XD channel.

Attachments

• e60bc9b4-80ac-455d-bf34-8bb56ccfa531.jpg
    e60bc9b4-80ac-455d-bf34-8bb56ccfa531.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
That's so cool! I hope we don't get too popular (the Sphynx) I kind of like staying under the radar, people are still amazed to see our breed, they are rare, and it makes me laugh on there comments, which is usually "my god there ugly". but they will never know what there missing!!!!:tinysmile_tongue_t:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree, admin. I'm hoping that the sphynx doesn't get too popular in mass media, like the Siamese cats were during the 1960's. I like having a breed of cat that is so rare and unique...it all adds to the sphynx's mystique!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The problem with the TV industry using specific breeds is they do not research what they need for care & use these breeds knowing people will want want one. It is a constant problem in the vet industry with what is popular & a tradgedy. When 101 dalmations was popular everyone bought a dalmation... by nature dalmations tend to be a little aggressive & not so great with kids, Nemo... Saltwater fish are very hard to take care of (1 had a 250 gallon shark tank), the list goes on & on, people buy them on a whim not knowing any better & the animal suffers. Hopefully they leave the Sphynx alone!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Kerrie that is so true, I worked with A girl who bought A dalmation for her daughter and it bit her. Very sad:tinysmile_cry_t:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Disney is the worst for it. That is cool if they want to use a specific breed but make it a breed that is family orientated, because you know kids will want them, Well adults too, my friend own a Saltwater fish store & they couldn't keep clownfish in because of nemo, there was one guy that said it is too much work to maintain the proper levels in the tank so he will just buy a new fish every week when it dies! I had saltwater fish; they aren't like freshwater... you can actually train some of them... they have personalities, i was appalled when he said that needless to say he didn't get anymore fish from there. I always felt horrible if i lost a fish... they could have been alive in the ocean. So keep your fingers crossed Sphynx stay under the radar; plus when people see that something is popular they see dollar signs & started breeding it without any background or medical history on the animal, i.e. Rotts, Pits, Labs, etc.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I agree 100%, i guess we will keep our little tiny sphynx website secret from the world! :tinysmile_shutup_t2

silly4lilly

Lairian
heres an episode of friends which stars the sphynx! i hope the video works. if not it is also in the sphynx video directory.

watch

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sphynx love on Sherlock!

A fan on deviantArt made this to commemorate the moment. Well, commemorate might be overdoing it a little, but it means that much to me.
aww.gif

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The first scene in the movie The Book of Eli Denzel Washington's Character kills a white Sphynx ;(

In friends the Sphynx is mean

Cats Vs Dog Revenge of Kitty Galore Kitty Galore is a Sphynx bent on world domination

And one of the Buddies (golden retriever pups) movies a Sphynx is the nemesis as well

Dune, Austin Powers.... Bad guy is holding the cat

Oh and they are all white!

I think it's terrible!!!! There is no mean bone in any of my Sphynx bodies!!!!

We need some positive Sphynx publicity!!!! How about a calendar ;)

sphynxmommy1

Lairian
As much as I do not like Lady Gaga...there is a white Sphynx in her "Bad Romance" video....it yawns really big in a scene..like 3 seconds tops.
Also Kat Von D has 2 sphynx and they have both been featured on her show "LA Ink"
Though I do believe one of her Sphynx was burned to death in her house fire a few years ago. I do know she did just get a new sphynx kitten like a year ago to replace the one that died. :(

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
In friends the Sphynx is mean
Oh and they are all white!

It's only a small consolation, but in Friends, Rachel tells everyone that the sphynx she used to have was really nice. It seems kinda like a cautionary tale, even though the message that probably stuck with most people is that hairless cats are mean. At least everyone can see how snuggly the sphynx in Sherlock was. Watson sat down and he couldn't get the critter off of him. ^_^

And I don't get why they're always solid white, either. They come in such lovely colors.

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It's only a small consolation, but in Friends, Rachel tells everyone that the sphynx she used to have was really nice. It seems kinda like a cautionary tale, even though the message that probably stuck with most people is that hairless cats are mean. At least everyone can see how snuggly the sphynx in Sherlock was. Watson sat down and he couldn't get the critter off of him. ^_^

And I don't get why they're always solid white, either. They come in such lovely colors.

I love that Episode of friends and yes I do remember her saying that buuuut I honestly think the message is a more negative one :(

It just makes me sad that such lovely creatures get such a bad wrap in modern TV!!! And yes there are sooooo many more colors that just white LOL!

KitCatty

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I love that Episode of friends and yes I do remember her saying that buuuut I honestly think the message is a more negative one :(

It just makes me sad that such lovely creatures get such a bad wrap in modern TV!!! And yes there are sooooo many more colors that just white LOL!

Oh and I haven't seen Sherlock but now Im reallllly interested LOL!

Gesundheit

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh and I haven't seen Sherlock but now Im reallllly interested LOL!

It's in the episode The Great Game. All available on Netflix. ^_^

I tried looking for a screen grab with the sphynx, but no luck. The google search engine looped me back to the lair!
21pmahgba3yjx11ol3sk4lchwy9nzasg.png

Not quite what I was looking for. :LOL:

Back