Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx is changing colors and losing fuzz?

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
when we got my kitten she was completely gray (although called black) her peach fuzz on the back of her head and neck have disappeared and she now has a black leathery look. It's like the top of her body is black and the lower part is gray. I have scoured the Internet and this site for answers but I haven't found any. She is in excellent health and her only issue is that where it is completely hairless her skin is dry. It also looks as if the dark part of her skin is spreading and blotchy. It is so strange. Is this a natural thing? Do they change color and lose the peach fuzz? Or are there deeper issues? Could it be a food allergy? Like I said her behavior is amazing and so is her eating, drinking and bowel movements. Please look at pics and tell me what you think

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 115

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The different coloring, is pigmentation, I'm sure.
The dryness could be a number of things.
What do you wash your baby with?
Do you use wipes, does your baby wear clothes?
If she wears clothes, do you let her just wear them
awhile through the day and or evening?
What do you wash her throws, blankets, in?

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
when we got my kitten she was completely gray (although called black) her peach fuzz on the back of her head and neck have disappeared and she now has a black leathery look. It's like the top of her body is black and the lower part is gray. I have scoured the Internet and this site for answers but I haven't found any. She is in excellent health and her only issue is that where it is completely hairless her skin is dry. It also looks as if the dark part of her skin is spreading and blotchy. It is so strange. Is this a natural thing? Do they change color and lose the peach fuzz? Or are there deeper issues? Could it be a food allergy? Like I said her behavior is amazing and so is her eating, drinking and bowel movements. Please look at pics and tell me what you think

@Luvmisphynx it is very normal in the first year that a sphynx will change. They can get more fur/fuzz or less.

Is your sphynx a Canadian Sphynx?

I see pigmentation which looks like it could be from the sun. Does your cat sit or lay in a sunny spot during the day usually? Do you take her outside at all?

Many of us members say that our sphynx grow way more fur/fuzz in the wintertime.

When you bathe her, do you use an exfoliating glove? Used gently, that can help take the dead layers of the skin away. Don't bathe more than once a week though and don't put any creams/lotions on unless you want to put a dab of coconut oil on (rubbed in well). It's very good, but it will attract dirt like a magnet.

Luvmisphynx

Lairian
Thank you both for responding so quickly! She does get some sun but it is limited and I bathe her ever other week with aveeno baby. I do use coconut oil. Do you think the pigmentation will stay? Or perhaps I have to say no sun, how do I protect her from that? She loves the sun and watching from Windows. Her (Jazzy, short for Jasmine) blankets are washed in Tide free

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Luvmisphynx ,Love your avatar pic of Jazzy :)
Good advice given -
I adopted a kitty with sun pigmentation (pics in this thread :
Our skin woes
I immediately went with " no direct sun" rule
Put a tall kitty mansions cat tree ( small 24" footprint -and nice bolstered perches
Many members install window tint too
There is also a link in the above listed thread too about window tint

My boys sun pigmentation cleared up on its own in several months
I actually did switch from the Aveeno to Hylyt shampoo that was Recommended

Head smooches sent

My Toby is a dark colored and has a velour feel .

Last edited:

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The pigmentation, will, probably stay, maybe fade some. It's normal
though, I think, in darker colored sphynx especially.
I think it's best to let them, lay in, indirect lighting. No Sun. That will help it to fade.
Again, I don't know, that, it all, will.
The tide free should be fine.
I would try HyLyt Shampoo, if, I was you.
Vets say, human shampoo and soaps, body wash, isn't good
for animals. The ph balance, isn't the same.
I have used HyLyt Shampoo, for almost 8 years now.
There, is, many more, here does. It's Hypoallergenic and great.
You can google it, to find the best price.
28907_L_vvs_000.jpg

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Luvmisphynx they are heat seekers and love the sun. Enjoying looking out the window is always a big hit with any cat. So all I can strongly recommend to you is to get UV protection on your windows by using the film. They also sell UV protection in pet clothing which you can Google.