Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx kitten for $300?! Should I worry?

Marinka

Lairian
Hello guys! Im pretty new to this forum. The reason I why I registered is because I really want to adopt/buy/rescue lovely female kitten or adult Sphynx. Ive been doing a reseach for about 2 weeks now. Today I got luck (or not) and found 3 kittens lady selling with shipping. We have been writing emails back and force, Ive been asking about the health, HCM scanning and other stuff. At the end of it all she wrote me this " They have been checked for eye, heart, and respiratory health and receive a Vet Health Certificate, and of course, they come with a 1 Year Health Guarantee. The total cost is 300$ and the shipping will be done via climate controlled airplane. There will be NO HIDDEN FEES involved so all you will have to pay is 300$. I will make adding your baby to the family a smooth, easy transaction. She comes with a pedigree that won't stop! They are true hairless, with very nice thick furnishings and good clear skin.
I will just need to make the change of hands papers and proceed with making arrangements for delivery."
So Im asking you guys for help! Is this sound good or a little suspicious? Please help. I got so excited I found "my kitty", but of coarse because Im unexperienced (never had cat Sphynx before) I dont know thing about them. So please help. Thanks for your help!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are true hairless, with very nice thick furnishings and good clear skin.
I will just need to make the change of hands papers and proceed with making arrangements for delivery."

True hairless great furnishings, is chinese crested talk. As far as I know I have never heard of Sphynx with furnishings.

Sorry it sounds like a scam. Shipping is usually pretty close to $300 in itself, so its a free kitten. That screams scam too. Also the phrasing. How are you meant to pay them?

dragynflye

Lairian
this is a scam. it is written just like the scam ads and emails that try to trap the unwary. i'm glad you joined and asked before giving this person money. i honestly don't remember how the scam works (these thing have been happening for years, and i have a short attention span!), but you will never get a kitten, and will be out at least your $300.

Brooke

Banned
Sounds like a scam... Ask for copies of the pedigrees, copies of the heart scans, etc. They probably will not have them.

Have you seen photographs? Where are they located?

Marinka

Lairian
Im sorry guys..what is scam? Im Ukrainian never heard of this word..is this like a slang of people that cheet and get your money and I would never get a kitten. She also sent me 3 pics of the kittens - 2 boys and 1 girl.

Brooke

Banned
Im sorry guys..what is scam? Im Ukrainian never heard of this word..is this like a slang of people that cheet and get your money and I would never get a kitten. She also sent me 3 pics of the kittens - 2 boys and 1 girl.

Yes, that's exactly what a scam is.

Marinka

Lairian
Lynx3.jpg
[/IMG]
here is the female kitten that I WAS planning to buy. Thank God you guys out there to help me.
Im so sad now :( I guess Im too naive.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Those pictures are from a breeder in Missouri. They have been used by several scammers lately. Will find adds..

Scam

Brooke

Banned
Yes, this is a scam. I just saw on another forum last week, someone mentioned this exact photo was stolen from a breeder's website and used on an ad. It happens all the time.

I'm glad you came here to check first! Don't be too sad, keep looking, you'll find your sphynx soon.

Marinka

Lairian
Ohh jeeezzz! Thats so awful! Glad Im not stupid..lol..to ask experienced ppl like you! Thank you for support guys! Ill just keep all this in mind next time looking for my kitten.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awesome info havingalook. Hang in their Marinka. There are many breeders who sell their retired breeders for $300 or less. You might even find a rescue. Keep at it and I guarantee you'll find something. I believe it took sydkat7 less than a month to find a rescue or retired breeder for no cost or little cost.

holly_savage

Banned
OMG, scam or not, she is just adorable! Now I want to find out who has her and then go take her from them! If the owners are the scammers that is! :Wink:

Marinka

Lairian
It just so mean, what a bastards! Thanks again friends! I'll keep looking and Ian(my husband) said to not worry he will find me a kitten and make me happy..awww <3 Im not sure how he is going to do so, but we'll see :D

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with everyone else, you will find your cat, just be patient. I will also heavily caution you to look at much more then just price and be careful where you look at ads. It is well worth saving up and spending the extra money if you are going to buy a kitten to get one from a good breeder who really cares about their cats - Chances are they probably won't advertise kittens for sale, but if you contact several breeders, establish a friendship with one, and get your name on your waiting list the wait and the effort will be well rewarded not only by a healthy kitten, but the support and friendship of wonderful breeder that really cares about the kitten's welfare long after the money changes hands!

Marinka

Lairian
Now I can see that this looking for a "cheep" kitten and hoping to get lucky is not gonna work. Its obvious the breed is unique and expensive so I agree with you just to save money and wait until good time. I'll keep you post! Thanks a lot again!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Say you get a cheap kitten and it is sick.
Then it will end up costing way more then from a breeder.
Some breeders will sell older kittens cheaper and retired breeders are cheaper.

Back