Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sphynx kitten has diarrhea on grain free kibble

millie jane

Lairian
Hi guys!
Not sure if anyone has ever experienced this before with their sphynx, but my other fluffy cat is on grain free nutrience (for all life stages), so I decided to transition him over to this from royal canin kitten (the breeder used this so I continued to do so - thinking the grain free would be fine. But it's causing him diarrhea :( has anyone had this problem? FYI When he arrived to me he had hard poop. I'm thinking the food is too rich for his stomach. I've always been a firm believer in grain free foods and have never had a problem with it until I got my sphynx. I have purchased some raw food and am thinking of transitioning to raw, but having some kibble out if possible during the time I'm not at a home...and using something like ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach for both my cats?

Help?! :p

Picture of the diarrhea devil himself
13494819_361276077329353_2055328652192837570_n.jpg

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@millie jane what a cutie pie. When you switched to the grain-free diet, did you do it very, very slowly? I know in my house, it can actually take me months to completely change over to a new food. That's how sensitive their stomachs can be here.

Have you tried to add a spoonful of 100% Pure Pumpkin to help bulk up his poop?

Have you taken his poop to the vet to check for any culprits?

I don't know much about the raw diet, so hopefully others using it will chime in, but I don't think you can feed raw and leave out regular dry kibble the rest of the day. Not 100% sure on that.

Let us know what helps and hopefully this will get resolved really soon.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@millie jane , Awh he is adorable - I am sorry to read about the issues -
Surely others with young kitties will chime in with great advice
Sometimes high proteins or extra treats can cause poo issues
as well as settling in to new home.
When there are poo issues many will suggest a vet check with poo sample tested.

Please keep us updated

give that cutie pie kisses from me

millie jane

Lairian
@GoldHazel i did do it slowly, i also have it left out for my fluffy kitty to eat - so he tends to chomp into that as well. he's just a total stomach with legs - not a cat lol! :p he prefers the grain free over the royal canin.

i have booked a vet appointment this week and will take a stool sample with me to see if its an underlying issue, not just food.

i will also try the pumpkin trick too - thank you heaps!

millie jane

Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you! he's off to the vet this week, he's still a crazy full of life little guy who eats like its his last meal, so his behavior hasn't changed or been affected by the poop issue - phew.
will keep you guys updated! and i will give him a lil kiss from you too! :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I think you have the right action plan...get the poop sampled and go from there. Once you are cleared of parasites, you might try the spoon full of pure pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling) it works wonders for many.

Patti

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@millie jane ok, that's good to hear that he's going to the vet this week with a poop sample too. Better to be safe than sorry.

Are you giving canned/wet food or only dry/kibble?

I bet he'd love the pumpkin like my babies do. I can't open a new can and turn my back to grab a lid! Their heads are in the can eating away!

millie jane

Lairian
@GoldHazel he gets his kibble and then wet food once a day - just RC kitten.

is the pumpkin just in tins in the baby section of the supermarket? sorry i've never had to give a cat it before! :p

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry your baby is having issues.
But, you have to transition them very slowly.
Plus, he needs to be on kitten, until 1 yr. old
1st week- 1/4 New food 3/4 old
2nd week 1/2 New food 1/2 old
3rd week 3/4 New food 1/4 old
4th, completely switch.

This is probably what caused the diarrhoea. Hope so.
Let us know.
Plus, if you change to raw and want to leave kibble out. You can't do that.
Because of the digestion rate. You have to give the kibble so many hours before the
raw. @Xandria is great with raw food.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@millie jane , In the USA its Libby's 100 % pure pumpkin no fillers In the baking section of grocery store .
Hopeful a member in your area can chime in a brand .
Here is a popular US version picture

be sure to read label to confirm it is 100% pure pumpkin

My Toby loves it like a treat -he gets about a 1/2 teaspoon -and has it all over his face
Be sure to refrigerate a small portion amd you can freeze the rest in small containers or covered ice cube trays and Take out as needed .
Toby likes his pumpkin warmed a few seconds when taken out of the refrigerator -
Be sure to check with finger so not too hot -
Let us know what brand you find . It will up help other members searching too in your area

Keep us updated :)
Positive vibes for the vet visit next week

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 13

millie jane

Lairian
@Hairless Blessing thanks for the info - i did transition him over very slowly, but its been 2 months & no difference - so have decided it must be too harsh for his little belly.

that's awesome about the kibble & raw - super good info. thank you for that. i may just transition them to 100% raw.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@GoldHazel he gets his kibble and then wet food once a day - just RC kitten.

is the pumpkin just in tins in the baby section of the supermarket? sorry i've never had to give a cat it before! :p

@millie jane it's in the baking isle of the supermarket, but I know some places outside of the U.S.A. sells pumpkin in pet shops. Just along it's 100% Pure Pumpkin and no spices, that's what you need to look for.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@millie jane what a handsome little boy! He looks so adorable.
I agree with the others to let his poop examed by the vet. If it turns out that there are no health issues you could switch to raw food. I feed my two boys raw food in the morning and evening. When I am at work they eat knibbels. It's possible to fees dry and raw but always be carefull and make aure there is 2-3 hours between the raw food and dry food!

Back